GOT THE TIME?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needairtime

Whatever you choose, anything that doesn't have a connection to some sort of atomic clock will drift, including those "atomic clocks" that can't pick up the WWVB signal which is the true atomic clock. But excepting this situation the atomic clocks I've had don't drift, I'm using a Lacrosse WS9625U-IT weather station with WWVB reception, and despite being battery operated, it hasn't drifted much like most of my older AC-powered clocks. It too has a keyhole slot for wall use, but I have it set on a counter.

I've started noticing AC mains powered clocks that don't actually use line frequency as a time reference, so beware of choosing those. Most older line powered clock radios depend on line frequency and only drift when on reserve battery power. The newer ones end up using a crystal oscillator, though still fairly good, will still drift. These tend to have switch mode wall warts that don't pass the line frequency signal as a timing source. But do watch out, some power companies are trying to lobby their governments to not have to stick to fixed line frequency which would throw off these clocks' accuracy.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I'm sold on atomic clocks.

I use a Marathon Atomic wall clock. It keeps perfect time. I can tune in WWV on my radio and the clock will always indicate exactly 00 seconds when the WWV 'minute beep' occurs.

The clock sets itself just about every night after midnight by syncing with the WWVB signal on 60 kHz. I say just about every night because sometimes solar activity can interfere with propagation causing the clock not to pick up the signal. The clock has an indicator showing whether or not the sync was successful.

I think Marathon has discontinued the model, but here's what it looks like: Robot Check

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to ALL, but I think I said I was looking for a reasonably accurate wall clock, not a treste on HOW to build a clock or HOW accurate. I just wanted a clock gentlemen.

It seems that ALL messages on RR get diverted into discussions NOT related to the original query. SIGH
You said accurate, but not how accurate. There is a difference in knowing when life activities are happening, and needing plus or minus one second, for digital technology modes. (Hence my question, in my earlier reply.)

As mentioned by many, LaCrosse makes many options. Since you want a 24-hour format, check the MFJ clock options, as most consumer products do not offer that feature. (LaCrosse sells some models from their website, that do have a 24-hour mode, if you prefer.)

k6cpo

I repurposed an old Android smartphone that still receives a network signal. I have it in a cradle so it stays charged and I added the "HamClock" app to it. This gives me a dual time readout in local and UTC. I reset my wristwatch to WWV weekly and the smartphone clock is always right on the money with WWV.

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
I use a LaCrosse (model # is not visible) that I picked up at the local Goodwill for $1.00 and once I set it and it synced the first night it's been right on the money ever since. At my desk I use an old Android phone with "Atomicclock" it syncs via pool.ntp.org. if your interested in that.

W5lz

One simple method of getting the accuracy you want is to simple re-set that clock. Extreme accuracy is just not needed so it should be easy to keep up.

majoco

Stirrer
This one is possibly a little smaller than you would like, about 4 1/2 inches wide - gets it's signal from the GPS satellites. The top line shows the UTC time, number of satellites in view and my altitude - the bottom line shows my position in geographical coordinates. It has an internal antenna and it gets sufficient signal about 6 feet inside a north-facing window. The switch changes from UTC to local standard time and summer time - I don't know if it's smart enough to know the local time from the position. Made by a ham (ZL4CE) down in Dunedin and cheap too.

DSC_2237 sml.jpg

N8FNR

I have a Sharp analog "atomic" clock that has always kept perfect accurate time. It's 14" in diameter and I bought it at Sam's about 5 years ago for $17, if I remember correctly. Before submitting this, I tuned in WWV. It was weak and scratchy but I heard it well enough to determine the clock is still performing the way it should.

Incidentally, I'm 76. I worked in commercial radio (back when the DJs were real) and TV. I remember when the TV networks broadcast a tone at the top of the hour. That must have been 50 years ago. Anyway, I was a DJ off and on. We actually used vinyl records and and the network had news at the top of the hour. Most independent stations used the Mutual Broadcasting System. It was then that became almost fanatical about accurate timepieces because I used that 5-minute newscast for a lot of things. I might check the meters on the transmitter, go to the bathroom, fix a cup of coffee or whatever. In any event, I had to get back in the control room in 5 minutes or it was dead air. In 1965, my ex-wife (bless her heart) even bought me a Bulova Accutron Spaceview watch for my birthday. I still have it.

When I was a kid I always wanted a Bulova Accutron Spaceview as I saw ads for it in Time Magazine. I remember that it was advertised as being extremely accurate and kind of bad ass looking. Now I have a Casio Wave Ceptor which resets itself every night to WWVB but does not look near as cool as the Spaceview.

N8FNR

With full disclosure, I will admit to being 86 and being involved with radios and ham radio since the 1950's. NEVER, I repeat, never have I found a wall clock that kept accurate time, including those so called atomic clocks.

If anyone know of such a wall clock that does keep accurate time, PLEASE advise me. Preferably, I'd like a 24 hour digital type.

Regards & Thanks,
Jerry

I have five analog clocks and a watch that receive WWVB and they always reset every night and are always in sync.

If your clock is near anything that generates RFI it can stop it from syncing. Try moving it to a wall facing Colorado.

Here is a clock that shows 12/24 hour time. I have a older version of it and it has been in use for at least 12+ years; MFJ-121B Dual Atomic Clock

This is an interesting GPS clock kit that you may want to look into; Clock which also needs this; GPS receiver kit QLG1

Last edited:

AC9BX

I have several atomic clocks. When they get their WWVB signal they are spot on and keep time reasonably well when they don't sync. They will go through periods where they cannot receive the signal. It's either some local interference or a signal problem. (They were having some issues a while back.) They often aren't very stable because they don't have to be. If you get the signal every day or so and the clock drifts a second or less each day it's generally good enough. I picked one up in a yard sale years ago. LCD plastic is cloudy, only offers 4 time zones, but it was $3 and gets a signal in the basement most any day when the transmitter is working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.