GPS BCD436HP and Home Patrol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Well this stinks. I have a Home Patrol 2 and I took a GPS puck (BR-355R4) and a Rosewill RCW-109 cable and made a GPS for it a while back. Got the directions from the RR Forums.

My new BCD436HP has the same goofy 4 pin connector for GPS as the Home Patrol 2 does but the pinout is slightly different.

I just rewired it for the 436 to confirm it works and it does but now no cable for the Home Patrol 2. Fortunately, when I first did this the Rosewill cables were hard to come by and I bought two of them. I can make another cable but now need to buy another GPS puck.

Or just wire the one I have for one or the other scanners.

Why in the world would they make the pinouts different on scanners from roughly the same generation? Not the end of the world by a long shot but just general goofiness in the world of scanners.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
That would probably be the smart thing to do. Put a terminal strip in a small 3D printed box and label the wires. It would save me $30 buying another puck. And the reality is I probably won't use the GPS on either scanner. I'm just obsessive enough that I want one because its an accessory that's cool. :) Good idea, thanks.

sfb88

Another idea. I don't know the pinouts but maybe you can find a switch to put in the box that could have one position to connect for the 436 and another for the HP2.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
To me, it seems Uniden doesn’t do anything without first checking the bottom line-cost.

…probably different design teams doing their own thing with no oversight guidance across model developments. Or, more probably (for example) differing “floating grounds” that caused physical changes in wiring due to existing component constraints? Just guessing but if there’s a cheaper way of doing something, manufacturers are all over it, justifiably of course, to remain competitive.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Just for fun I put the BCD436HP wired puck on the Home Patrol 2 and confirmed it does not work. I wrote up a quick blog on wiring for each one.

This is based on an old post from these forums from Jasonyohon for the HP2 and used that as a starting point to get the BCD436HP working.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
And I hard wired it for the BCD436HP

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpeg
    IMG_1858.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 21

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
And just remade the cable with a junction box. Looks much more professional this way.

Attachments

• IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 30

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
Would anyone happen to know if the pin out for the hp2 gps would work with the sds100?
I wrote this blog in 2018 for SDS100 DIY.

As I recall I copied someone else's work and parts list from here in these forums but every time I do a project like this I blog it so I can re-create later and I know where to find it!

frazpo

The pinouts for the 436 and HP2 are the same. I made a homebrew myself and used it back and forth between both the scanners for over a year before I sold the HP2.

wthclt

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I made one with info from this site for my hp2 and just wondered if it would work with the sds.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
The pinouts for the 436 and HP2 are the same. I made a homebrew myself and used it back and forth between both the scanners for over a year before I sold the HP2.
By golly you are right. The thread with the HP2 wiring from the old RR post from 2015 where I made my first cable ONLY works with the HP2.

The one that I just made for the BCD436HP with different wiring works on either one.

I changed my web page and stand corrected. Thanks.

I took the HP2 only cable and put it on 436 with no joy. When I made the 436 cable I never thought to try it on the HP2. Lesson learned.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
So ........ Officially done messing with GPS pucks for a bit. Re-wired the cable that only works on HP2 so it will work on either HP2 or my BCD436HP. Getting pretty good at it! This one was pretty clean and even zip tied the cables in the junction box so they can't be pulled out accidentally.
IMG_1882.jpeg
Done. Well at least until I get the GPS module in for my SDS200 :)

frazpo

So ........ Officially done messing with GPS pucks for a bit. Re-wired the cable that only works on HP2 so it will work on either HP2 or my BCD436HP. Getting pretty good at it! This one was pretty clean and even zip tied the cables in the junction box so they can't be pulled out accidentally.
View attachment 124898
Done. Well at least until I get the GPS module in for my SDS200 :)
Nice neat work!

Status
Not open for further replies.