GPS cable mod for Uniden scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoop531

Premium Subscriber
So today I finally finished wiring up this GPS unit to the rear serial port of my 536 HP I plugged it in And the unit flashes so from what I've read it's picking up a signal but I am still lost at how I would know if it is actually sending a signal to my 536 can anyone tell me how to check this and hopefully figure out if I wired it up to the correct pins at the DB9 serial connection

Blackswan73

How is the GPS being powered? Through the rear DB9 on the scanner or VIA USB? Did you modify the DB9 to power the GPS or using another source for your power?

phask

Premium Subscriber
So today I finally finished wiring up this GPS unit to the rear serial port of my 536 HP I plugged it in And the unit flashes so from what I've read it's picking up a signal but I am still lost at how I would know if it is actually sending a signal to my 536 can anyone tell me how to check this and hopefully figure out if I wired it up to the correct pins at the DB9 serial connection

Set your zip code for somewhere 100 miles away without the GPS on - confirm it loads LA or wherever .

Then activate the GPS - it should load the local when it locks on.

Scoop531

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I got the pins wrong on the DB9 connection if I knew what pin on the back of the 536 was the TX and RX. I'm just not sure I should have prob done it with the from mini USB but. I wanted to be different lol

Scoop531

Premium Subscriber
Ok maybe I'm missing something so I'll list my wires here.
Female db9
Pin 1 black
Pin 2 red
Pin 3 brown
Pin 4 green
Pin 5 yellow
Pin 6 orange
Pin 7 purple
Pin 8 blue
Pin 9 grey

I have the bc 355
Which has
Red batt +
Black ground
Green TX
White RX

I feel like I have tried every pin combo but I never get the scanner to recognize the GPS. Other then hitting the setup GPS function and select baud rate is there something else I'm suppose to do to get it to recognize the unit

Scoop531

Premium Subscriber
Been out on the road all day testing it out working great I will post a picture and some detailed instructions when I get home tonight if anyone is lazy and don't feel like making their own I Might make a few and sell them

Scoop531

Premium Subscriber
Ok here is the pin out for the DB9 female plug end (keyword Female)
GPS Green wire to female db9 pin # 4
GPS White wire to female db9 pin # 3
GPS Black wire to female db9 pin # 1

GPS red wire to USB batt positive
GPS black wire to USB Ground

I'm gonna charge $55 to make another one. If anyone is interested

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,469

Scoop531

Premium Subscriber
Sorry yes the final pin out of here the other night I build another one and read my notes wrong when I typed my first post

Ok here is the pin out for the DB9 female plug end (keyword Female)
GPS Green wire to female db9 pin # 2
GPS White wire to female db9 pin # 3
GPS Black wire to female db9 pin # 1

GPS red wire to USB batt positive
GPS black wire to USB Ground

I'm gonna charge $55 to make another one. If anyone is interested

K2theFEA

Can anyone please explain how this should be wired if you want to modify the harness to work with a Uniden BCD436HP?

The current wiring situation is a nightmare.

If at all possible, I'd like to replace the cigarette lighter adapter and serial connector with a standard male USB connector. Please see the pathetic diagram I made.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,246
Last edited:
D

darunimal

only the smaller port on the BCD436HP can be used, it is the serial port, it's the small rectangular port found on the upper port marked GPS that's ALSO found on the 396 series scanners, use the search function after you've re-read the whole post on this, search the forum and past threads. Take a special look at Post 36

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.