GPS Charge while on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Well I just found an issue with GPS. When I connect to my GPS in the truck, while it is plugged into the 12v lighter adapter. If I attempt to set the "battery" option to "charge while on" I get an error message of "low usb voltage" and I have to unplug and plug back in without "charge while on". This pretty much sucks!! I am only getting about 5-6 hours out of the battery and if it won't charge while on with the gos hooked up I'm sure I will get even less. I think @jonwienke advised that the sds100 could also be plugged into the micro usb to charge as well. I'll have to look for that post. I did hook up a usb micro today to see if it would charge. It would not. If anyone has any advise or options for me to get more life out of the batteries, please let me know. And if you have any info on the GPS plug not charging while on. I already have my backlight off to conserve battery. Thanks in advance.
-Bobby
KD4NSZ

djeplett

Hi Bobby,
You need a higher amperage power supply. I use ones that can output 2.1A or even more. And that's not total across 2 or more ports; that's 2.1A per port. And be careful of the mini USB end. If it gets stressed it can deform slightly and not make a good connection, which lowers the voltage. I have been successful in squeezing the end of the cable between my fingers to get it to make a more solid connection, but I don't think I'd do it with a pliers as it might wreck it for good.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Is this the Uniden GPS?
If yes, it has the 24AGW necessary to keep the voltage up (thinner wires cause a voltage drop).

Like said above, your power supply isn't robust enough.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
I am plugging in the Uniden bought cig lighter adapter into my 2019 Ram 1500. It is the replacement gps adapter with a " thousand" cords. The only way to power it is through the "lighter adapter". I wish it had come with the option (1 more cord) to plug it into a high output usb jack. This truck has about 10 throughout the truck. So with the "lighter adapter being the only way to power it, how would I go about increasing the output. I wish I had one of the diy connectors that folks were making before this one came out. Just a gps puck, usb for power and usb mini to the scanner. I would pay someone to make me one with long cords. I think this new "design" if that's what you would call it, is a disaster. A box, gps,phone cord, db9, lighter adapter power,..........

djeplett

Try squeezing the mini USB end with just your fingers and then insert it into your radio with the truck running and see if the voltage is any higher. Make sure the truck is running so your alternator is helping bring the voltage up also. I would do it while it's idling in drive. That's worse case scenario.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Try squeezing the mini USB end with just your fingers and then insert it into your radio with the truck running and see if the voltage is any higher. Make sure the truck is running so your alternator is helping bring the voltage up also. I would do it while it's idling in drive. That's worse case scenario.
Ok, so I had the lighter adapter plugged into an 110-12v adapter. The 110v inverter plug is inside (under) my sliding console. The (round) 12v adapter on the truck is on the top of my dash so I didn't want the cord strung through my infotainment screen. Long story short. I plugged the power cord directly into the 12v receptical on the top of the dash and not through the 110v inverter plug. It works great now. I would still pay someone for a diy gps plug with either usb-c or usb-a for power with just the older style round gps puck and usb mini. With long cords. Thanks for the help troubleshooting.

djeplett

I would strongly consider one of Jonathan Weinke's internal GPS mods for your SDS100. It will eliminate your issue altogether. Especially if you use your SDS100 almost exclusively mobile in your truck.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is this the cable you are using:
(It's available from a number of sellers, at varying prices.) If your power adapter (12V or 110V) has suffient current output, you can both operate the GPS as well as power the scanner & also recharge the battery.

That cable only has one USB cable to plug in, and the mini-USB end to connect to the scanner. The GPS attaches using the round 'serial' connector, like this GlobalSat version.
The round connector is the same as was used on the original Uniden GPS puck, but that's now been replaced by a 'universal' GPS kit that can be used on any of the Uniden GPS capable scanners.
I think @jonwienke advised that the sds100 could also be plugged into the micro usb to charge as well. I'll have to look for that post. I did hook up a usb micro today to see if it would charge. It would not. If anyone has any advise or options for me to get more life out of the batteries, please let me know. And if you have any info on the GPS plug not charging while on. I already have my backlight off to conserve battery. Thanks in advance.
-Bobby
KD4NSZ
I think there was a miscommunication between you & Jon on this. The micro port (the one above the mini connection) can be used to power the scanner, but it not charge the battery.

The mini-port can be used to power the scanner, as well as charge the battery if enough current is supplied, and is the connection point for the GPS.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I would strongly consider one of Jonathan Weinke's internal GPS mods for your SDS100. It will eliminate your issue altogether. Especially if you use your SDS100 almost exclusively mobile in your truck.
I agree. Mine works flawlessly. Kinda makes me wonder why I took advantage of one of the recent Amazon deals.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
Is this the cable you are using:
(It's available from a number of sellers, at varying prices.) If your power adapter (12V or 110V) has suffient current output, you can both operate the GPS as well as power the scanner & also recharge the battery.

That cable only has one USB cable to plug in, and the mini-USB end to connect to the scanner. The GPS attaches using the round 'serial' connector, like this GlobalSat version.
The round connector is the same as was used on the original Uniden GPS puck, but that's now been replaced by a 'universal' GPS kit that can be used on any of the Uniden GPS capable scanners.

I think there was a miscommunication between you & Jon on this. The micro port (the one above the mini connection) can be used to power the scanner, but it not charge the battery.

The mini-port can be used to power the scanner, as well as charge the battery if enough current is supplied, and is the connection point for the GPS.
Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the diy cord that some people spliced all the cords together and got rid of the round connector altogether. Like this one. An affordable GPS module for SDS100 Scanner | John’s Tech Blog I very well may be wrong about what I remember @jonwienke posting. He isn't wrong very often (ever that I know of). He most likely said the same as what you stated. I just remembered it wrong. It is good to know that the micro can power the unit though.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The micro USB will power the SDS100, but will not charge the battery. The mini USB will do both, if the USB port and cable supply sufficient current. You can plug each USB into separate ports if individual ports don't supply enough current to do both. But that's a bit of a kludge IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.