GPS connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

I have the Bearcat 436 , I am connecting a BC-SGPS module kit to the scanner, is there anything I need to change on my scanner besides the bps , in order for this gps to work correctly?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I believe the 436 and GPS is pretty much a plug and play thing. You might check your profile in the Location Settings tab and confirm the Baud Rate is 4800 just to be on the safe side.

The manual is a little ambiguous on the 436/GPS Baud Rate, but I know the 536s are pretty fussy about that.

Also be sure your GPS device has a clear view of the sky so it can receive the satellites. They say you can confirm GPS operation by turn on the full database, disconnecting the GPS and entering a zip code of 90201 which is Los Angeles. Then turn on the scanner and see if the Los Angeles "stuff" loads. After that, re-connect the GPS device and see if the "stuff" more appropriate to your location loads.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
just make sure the baud rate is correct and everything is plugged in correctly, you can test by using the zip code mode and move to a location far away, it should change after a GPS signal is acquired if indoors place the GPS near a window

KO4IPV

I believe the 436 and GPS is pretty much a plug and play thing. You might check your profile in the Location Settings tab and confirm the Baud Rate is 4800 just to be on the safe side.

The manual is a little ambiguous on the 436/GPS Baud Rate, but I know the 536s are pretty fussy about that.

Also be sure your GPS device has a clear view of the sky so it can receive the satellites. They say you can confirm GPS operation by turn on the full database, disconnecting the GPS and entering a zip code of 90201 which is Los Angeles. Then turn on the scanner and see if the Los Angeles "stuff" loads. After that, re-connect the GPS device and see if the "stuff" more appropriate to your location

Also be sure your GPS device has a clear view of the sky so it can receive the satellites. They say you can confirm GPS operation by turn on the full database, disconnecting the GPS and entering a zip code of 90201 which is Los Angeles. Then turn on the scanner and see if the Los Angeles "stuff" loads. After that, re-connect the GPS device and see if the "stuff" more appropriate to your location loads.
thank you for that information it confirms what I suspected and yes the 436 manual is somewhat Ambiguous on that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.