GPS problems with bcd536

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Roberts

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone using GPS on there bcd536 yet? I am trying but it is not working. I plug in the GPS antenna and on the top line of the scanner GPS comes on, but nothing happens. Does any one know how long the initial review in the scanner takes after the antenna is plug in? I am using the antenna that I used in my 996XT

bberns22

Is anyone using GPS on there bcd536 yet? I am trying but it is not working. I plug in the GPS antenna and on the top line of the scanner GPS comes on, but nothing happens. Does any one know how long the initial review in the scanner takes after the antenna is plug in? I am using the antenna that I used in my 996XT

I am using it successfully - it will take a few minutes for first initialization. Make sure you have nationwide database turned on and activate the service types you are interested in.

BTW what GPS receiver are you using?

phask

Premium Subscriber

Nothing happens - what are you expecting to happen?????

Hit_Factor

To test it. Set a zip code that is 50 or more miles away. Start scanning, you shouldn't really pickup anything.

Plug in your GPS and it should switch to the area you are in.

This assumes location control, service types and such are all set properly.(previous post 2 above, the previous post is less than helpful)

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully not off topic, it would be excellent to be able to save different favorite lists to different profiles. I basically have the same FL's in both my 436 and 536, and the 536 is the one I use location control with. I have almost forty favorites (yeah I know LOL) and it would be a heck of a lot easier to pick and choose for each profile. Paul, is it possible that can be written into Sentinel?

Hit_Factor

Start sentinel, use the save as command to make a new profile. Poof, your finished, two profiles pointing at the same favorites list.

But that's not going to do what you want. At least I don't think it will.

I created a rectangle that bounds my county in a favorites list. I modified the closest trunk site to have all of the control freqs in the county in the one site. With location control on.

When I'm driving the GPS deals with turning on and off my FL as needed.

When I'm home the scanner uses the last known location, so the FLs within my county are enabled. I hope that helps.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
In Sentinel you have the ability to create multiple profiles. In my case I have three - one is "house scanner", a second "car scanner/local" and the third is "car scanner/trip".

By going into the Profile Editor's Scan Selection tab, I can chose which of the 14 Favorites Lists are Monitored (Monitor On) or even downloaded to the scanner (Download On). I also set Service Types as desired (at home I might be interested in Aircraft, but not when travelling).

The "hitch" happens when you want a given Favorites List to behave a certain way when associated with one profile, but behave differently with another profile.

The "work around" I use, which is cumbersome to set up, is this: I open up the applicable profile I'm editing and make my Favoriates List changes, then save it to a spare SD card. Then I open the other profile, make the Favorites List changes and save it to a separate SD card.

Again, it is time consuming and requires an SD card for each unique configuration (but I'm retired and got lots of time and SD cards are cheap).

I'd love to see Sentinel changed so that you could have Favorites List "behave" diferently depending upon the profile they are associated with. But I suspect that would be a major undertaking for the Sentinel developers, if even possible.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Actually if should be possible. Under the profile edit you should be able to toggle location on or off. God I wish I had listened and done software engineering in my youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.