GPS questions on processes, making changes

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
I'm now using a BR-355N gps puck with my sds100 and wonder if I'm accidentally stepping on settings I made.

Example:

Q1: Does selecting "auto locate" (menu>set your location>auto locate) use the GPS to determine the location or does it use the antenna to scan the spectrum to determine where I am? I ask because when I do this, it will often ask if I am a full TX county over from where I'm actually at. This makes me guess that the "auto locate" does not use the GPS that's attached and syncd. Hoping to verify how it works and that if you have a GPS, then don't bother with auto locate.

Q2: I made a favorites list that includes all of the counties I pass through in a 6hr trip across part of TX. When I set the scanner to not scan full database, but instead to scan this favorites list, it looks like it is still scanning all of the counties I have in my 6hr list. Shouldn't it be using GPS to determine that some of the counties are out of range? In my Favorites list (using Proscan to create and edit it), Ido have "use location control" checked under the "Favorite Options" tab. Shouldn't the sds100 be skipping scanning (and even me seeing) the Departments that are well out of range?

In case anyone needs the links I use:
GPS puck manual here
Marks Easier to read SDS manual
Official SDS100 manual from Uniden
Proscan manual found under the Support tab in Proscan

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Q1: Does selecting "auto locate" (menu>set your location>auto locate) use the GPS to determine the location or does it use the antenna to scan the spectrum to determine where I am? I ask because when I do this, it will often ask if I am a full TX county over from where I'm actually at. This makes me guess that the "auto locate" does not use the GPS that's attached and syncd. Hoping to verify how it works and that if you have a GPS, then don't bother with auto locate.

Check this post:

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
Check this post:

Q1 answered. Thanks! that's an old one. Hope this helps anyone searching.

tldr: auto locate is trash. lol. use your phone, determine a zip code instead if you have to instead.

Now on to Q2....

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
You will need to turn on "Location Control" for all that you want to listen to, and turn off anything you don't want to listen to in GPS mode.
Set your range to 0.
You will most likely need to readjust the GPS settings to each agency to want to listen to. Ranges in the database are greatly exaggerated and a small town may be set for countywide coverage.
There is alot of work to setup GPS in the scanner otherwise you will hear far more than what you want to hear especially if you live in an urban metro area. Software is needed to do this properly. I use Proscan for this task.

Another thing I do is create a separate favorites list like "GPS Agency name" for each agency that I want for GPS only. Then I take all the GPS favorite lists and link then together using Start up Configuration 0.

There is no right or wrong with programming for GPS, just alot of setup to do so.

Last edited:

CHHTX

Premium Subscriber
You will need to turn on "Location Control" for all that you want to listen to, and turn off anything you don't want to listen to in GPS mode.
Set your range to 0.
You will most likely need to readjust the GPS settings to each agency to want to listen to. Ranges in the database are greatly exaggerated and a small town may be set for countywide coverage.
There is alot of work to setup GPS in the scanner otherwise you will hear far more than what you want to hear especially if you live in an urban metro area. Software is needed to do this properly. I use Proscan for this task.

Another thing I do is create a separate favorites list like "GPS Agency name" for each agency that I want for GPS only. Then I take all the GPS favorite lists and link then together using Start up Configuration 0.

There is no right or wrong with programming for GPS, just alot of setup to do so.
thanks for the advice! This is gold stuff!

To help direct anyone reading this, location control is in both your scanner and Proscan favorites editor. To set in your SDS scanner, its under Menu>Manage Favorites>(select the Favorites list you want to turn it on)Enter>Location control>On/Off.

To set in Proscan, its under the Favorites list you want to edit, Under the Favorite Options tab.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
You're welcome.

One other thing I have found is the sites on trunking systems also need to have GPS coordinates and ranges set before you can hear the talkgroups.