Gps

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Anyone here use a GPS divice I just bought a TomTom XL330S R U kidding me this thing is worth every penny, What a great new toy.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
If I traveled more, or hiked at all, I'd get one .
That's what I thought to, I don't hike or travel that much, but now that I have one it's kind of fun to mess with. I just want to get in the car and drive everywhere, my commuter car is a 1991 Geo metro the silverado stays put in the garage as the 300ZX does to"1984 less than 60,000 miles on her" I put a new engine in the GEO about 40,000 mile's ago it took me and my friend about 60 beer's to get her done and it fired up right away, beer not withstanding , 4 tire's $100.00 sound system $500.00 total cost of car under $2000.00 plus the GPS $300.00 and the best part is the GEO gets 48MPG, are you kidding me the whole planet should have a GEO.

Last edited:

tmfok7

I have a Magellan Maestro 3100 I picked up from Rat Shack several months ago and love it! It has helped me navigate around some problems several times! On a slightly different note... You have a gold mine in that GEO! Several months ago when gasoline was about at its peak, Q13, talking about fuel economy, told a little story of someone who had bought a Metro 18 yrs. ago for $7000 and had sold it on Craig's List for $7800 w/ 250K miles on it! That was a pretty good investment 18 yrs. ago. :D..

KC0QNB

Magellan merigreen (Green meridian GPS)
it comes in real handy when you find a tower that you don't know anything about, also good for tracking your travels, and geocoding pictures. Oh one more thing making a map of railroad mile posts in Google Earth.

AtomicTaco

I played with a TomTom Nuvi 200 the past 3 days. It took me to Fairwood (haven't been out there since I was in kindergarten), across the valley to SeaTac, and then I turned it off because I know how to get back to Federal Way. Next day I took it up to Tiger Mountain and Cougar mountain. Today it brought me to Lake City, and boy did I confuse it when I dumped off I-5 and took 99 up.

It's really nice when I'm in an area I've never been to before; rather than refering to paper directions. It does take some of the fun out of getting there; rarely do I miss a turn and get lost. And even if I do, it'll correct me. But it's not that big of a deal; I have a surprisingly good sense of direction and end up guessing a lot of the time and getting where I need to go.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Update: The tomtom XL330S froze up on me in less then a day, darn I loved that toy anyhow took it back and got a tomtom go 730 for about $400.00 this thing is even better, and it better last longer. this thing has bluetooth and will transmit to FM and has user voice commands. and show's the icons for just about everything shell,76 gas station fast food walmart you name it, it has it or you can download it

n0zed

I picked up a The Delphi NAV200 at some truck stop in kansas for less than $100 as a toy , but now its a tool , I just need to remember not to trust it as far as , is this route OK for a big truck!
ghk

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Why do you think it is useless? just wondering

You can't get a map for the damn thing without paying an arm and a leg for it, it has a thousand too many features, it's NOT intuitive, and kind of unwieldy- though I can, for only 40 bucks, buy a windshield mount ::rolleyes::

KC0QNB

You can't get a map for the damn thing without paying an arm and a leg for it, it has a thousand too many features, it's NOT intuitive, and kind of unwieldy- though I can, for only 40 bucks, buy a windshield mount ::rolleyes::
OK I see now, after you initialize it it should work fine, as far as the maps I have the North American base map that came with it, the accuracy may not be right on the money, but when I am driving US 30 it indicates I am on US30. There is a review here
comments on that unit The reviewer writes that after you get to know the unit in the field, and learn the basic functions it is actually quite intuitive, there is also a link on that page for a video tutorial on making custom maps.

AtomicTaco

I also use Microsoft MapPoint. Excellent software; I'm just waiting for 2009 to come on MSDNAA

egunionfinalub2.png

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
OK I see now, after you initialize it it should work fine, as far as the maps I have the North American base map that came with it, the accuracy may not be right on the money, but when I am driving US 30 it indicates I am on US30. There is a review here
comments on that unit The reviewer writes that after you get to know the unit in the field, and learn the basic functions it is actually quite intuitive, there is also a link on that page for a video tutorial on making custom maps.

But it has no local streets detail, and won't unless I shell out $100+ for more maps. And a stupid microSD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.