Grand Canyon FD ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
http://www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/upload/2008grcaProfile.pdf

This document says that Grand Canyon National Park had 79 structural fire responses in 2007. Does anyone have any info on the Grand Canyon Structural Fire Department? Info on freqs or rigs? Pictures? I think there is one fire station on the South Rim, and one fire station on the North Rim. I think that the South Rim might have 2 pumpers, 1 ladder truck, and 1 rescue truck. The North Rim might have just 1 pumper.

There might be 1 pumper from the concessionaire on the South Rim also. They might use 153.89 or 154.445.

Peter Sz

kd7ckq

Name Channel RX TX tone
Xanterra (ex. Fred Harvey) Fire & Security Net 153.890 154.445 pl 77.0
PARK SERVICE MED NET 172.450 171.750 cs
LAW NET 164.725 pl 123.0
Fire / Helo Ops 172.575 169.675 cs

This is where you'll hear all the action. Xanterra and LAW NET will be the most active during the response. Then if additional resources are needed then MED NET and FIRE / HELO OPS will start to get busy.
79 responses.....Sounds about right. Mostly bad chefs setting off the smoke detectors and putting the whole building in Alarm.
I like listening to GCN more than my local PD/FD. Can't believe some of the stuff tourist pull.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
KD7CKQ - thanks for the great reply. Do you ever hear them mention a "Engine 1" or Ladder 1" or anything? I really have no idea what fire rigs they operate. Peter Sz

BCFlash

Just for info, over at Lake Mead, the NPS has a structure engine, Engine 4 and ambulance, Rescue 4, in a station near Boulder Beach. Structure Engine 5 is at Callville Bay resort. Near their HQ in Boulder City, NV they have a chief, 7801, a small brush unit 7831 and a medium brush unit, 7841. They probably have equipment in AZ at Temple Bar resort but I don't know the radio calls. The fire units primarily use 166.30, which is one of the main park freqs. Several mountain top repeaters, including Mt. Wilson in AZ, make it easy to hear over a wide area.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
ScanArizona now has a live scanner feed from Grand Canyon Natl Park - and from the Coconino NF and the Kaibab NF.

Anybody find any info on the Grand Canyon FD?

Peter Sz

calafdx

Premium Subscriber
In response to your question regarding the NPS on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, I have some good info for anyone that is planning on visiting the Park and monitoring all the activity up there. Used to live in Prescott Valley, and used a Cushcraft 4-element 171 Mhz beam pointed at Hopi Point on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon to monitor all their activity. Here is a rundown of some of the info I gathered over the years....

The NPS dispatches out of the Park Headquarters or Visitor Center. Their dispatch is located in the courtyard area just look for the tower and antennas adjacent to the building on the west side when looking at the center from the parking lot. They dispatch their own Law Enforcement Officers, the NPS Ambulances, and FD engines. The EMS and FD is located at the training center (Albright Center) located off of Center Rd / Albright Rd. They have two NPS Ambulances "Medic 1 & 2" which respond to calls both inside and outside of the park. Their dispatch is on 172.4500 R / 91.5 and is known as "Med Net". "Medic 4" is located at Desert View on the East side of the South Rim.

All calls in the town of Tusayan and outside the park are handled by Guardian Ambulance which has a unit at the Tusayan FD Station 5 located at 113 E. Hwy 64. Guardian is dispatched from Flagstaff Dispatch on 155.7900 R / 131.8 with a local transmitter there in Tusayan for coverage in that area. Units assigned to Tusayan FD are "Medic 55 and 58".

Tusayan FD is dispatched by the NPS dispatch on 154.0100 R / No PL. They have a transmitter located at the west side of the Tusayan airport. They also share the frequency with the town of Valle VFD located south of the park on Highway 64 / Hwy 180.

NPS Fire is dispatched on their Channel 5 172.5750 R / 127.3 and they have some Engines located also at the Albright Training Center there in the Park on the South Rim.

As stated in other posts the Fire and Security of the hotel / lodges inside the park is handled by Xanterra folks. They are dispatched from their main office located at the intersection of Center Rd / Village Loop Dr. They handle all the security and alarms for the hotels and lodges on 153.8900 R / 77.0 known as "Fire & Safety Net.". The NPS Law Enforcement Rangers also respond to calls that require Law Enforcement personnel or as a backup to the Xanterra folks.

The NPS Law Enforcement Rangers do also respond to Medical calls on the North, South rims and in the Canyon. They operate on the "Law Net" on 164.7250 R / 123.0 with their main transmitter located at Hopi Point on the South Rim. They also have transmitters at Desert View and on Mt. Emma.

NPS Fire responses are taken care of from the North Rim and South Rim stations. The South Rim station is at the Albright Training Center. Engine 6-0, 6-3 are on the South Rim, and Engine 6-2 is on the North Rim. They do rotate due to staffing and seasonal need.

The NPS also operates a helicopter base on the South Rim of the park. The helicopters are used for both fire fighting, canyon rescue / recovery and for EMS transports to and from Flagstaff Medical Center Hospital. Call signs are 2-6-8 and 2-6-9, and "2 Hotel Papa" has been heard.

Hope this helps anyone that plans on visiting the Grand Canyon NP. Lots of good monitoring to listen to and enjoy.

Do miss all the activity up there as we now live in Central North Carolina. Do try to get back to visit family and friends as much as possible.

If any one would like any further Central Arizona please feel free to contact me....

Chris

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
calafdx - Thansk for the great info. I am listening to them run a SAR call right now. www.scanarizona.us

Medic 1 - Medic 58 - 368 is the helo - Papa 11 - Canyon 10 - someone had a obvious ankle fracture on the Grandview Trail / Indian Garden.

I also can hear Navajo Nation units rolling to Middle Mesa for a 13 yo that fell into a wood stove.

"Dispatch" is apparently the NPS dispatcher. "Central" might be the Xantera dispatcher.

17 May 2008 636PM EDT Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.