GRE Repair rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbro298

It's off to GRE for repair and my PSR-500 is out of warranty.Anyone had to send a unit off to be fixed?How do they charge a flat rate or buy the job?What kind of turn around time should i expect?Any feedback would be nice.

What happened to the question? Repair rates.
Can someone start a poll for scanner reliability. Lindsay has 260,000, yes, THOUSAND, registered users. Thant's enough for a valid statistical survey.

It woulld serve all members very well if it included scanner model, have you had an issue, how old was the scanner, etc.

Thanks, HCH

tobarger

That's how forums work, not just this forum, any forum.
The original question often gets lost among the unhelpful useless responses.

Here is a response from the GRE Support Team regarding a support ticket I submitted in June 2009 pertaining to the replacement of the multi-colored LED on my PSR-500.

"We can repair them. The Flat rate on repairs is $60 + Parts (LED) $5.00 + S/H $13 = $78.00"

Hope this is helpful.

cbro298

GRE Repair Rates

Thank you tobarger for that info.BTW that screw that is loose in the back well i checked it and with VERY LITTE TORQUE the screw stripped and lost volume and will not pick up anything.Went to WX frequency channel and had to turn it all the way up to just hear faint sounds

Oops again.

Sorry, I didn't read closely enough to realize you were talking the cost of repairs. I mistakenly read "frequency of repairs". Still would like to see a reliability survey.

HCH

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Sorry, I didn't read closely enough to realize you were talking the cost of repairs. I mistakenly read "frequency of repairs". Still would like to see a reliability survey.

HCH

In short, GRE scanners are very reliable.... so long as you treat them as if they are made of glass. ;) You have to play nice with your GRE toys or they break, unlike the tanks Uniden makes (ahh, if only I could somehow spoon the guts of a PSR-500 into the case of my - so far - indestructible 250D....)

-AZ

DonS

In short, GRE scanners are very reliable.... so long as you treat them as if they are made of glass. ;) You have to play nice with your GRE toys or they break

I don't know about that.

My very early (i.e. late 2006) PSR-500 survived a couple years' worth of weekly 5-plus-foot falls to a concrete floor before it finally gave up. (I had it on both the refrigerator and clothes washer in the garage... beer-fetching and spin cycles were its enemy).

misterdk

Yesterday I knocked my PSR 500 off a table with my jacket sleeve. In a 10 million to one shot it must have landed right on the volume/squelch knob. When I picked it up the knob was bent at about a 45 degree angle. OK I said, I'll just bend it back and all will be well. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...when I tried bending it back it broke off flush with the case. A $500 paperweight! Sent it off to GRE today, next day air, Philly to California ($31). I sure hope they can replace just the part and I don't need a new board. I opened it up to look at it and it looks like a small silver cube that the volume "pin" attaches to. Hope it's one part that they can replace by itself. Hope, hope, hope! As someone else said they charge $60 labor plus parts and shipping. Pray for me........

KE4RWS

Oh What A Feeling

Isn't it the greatest feeling in the world when you accidentally wreck your beloved digital scanner? Many people inadvertently accelerate their scanner's impact by desperately trying to catch or block it's fall, only causing it to strike with three times the force than if it just fell on its own :(

That's when you really experience that feeling I'm talking about . . .

Randy

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I destroyed an old Pro-92 that I bought at a garage sale by trying to grab it as it fell. I had bought it for 15 bucks, and it had no volume and barely seemed to pick up anything, I took it apart and the speaker connector had fallen off, so that was a 2 second fix, and all it needed was a keypad and the antenna wire fixed. I took the case apart and cleaned it all up and when I got the new keypad, I replaced it, and it was playing away on my desk. It was very sensitive and I figured for about 27 bucks total for the radio and keypad, I had done pretty well. I picked it up and it slipped out of my hand, and I tried to catch it, and I slammed it onto a small, but heavy, paperweight made out of granite. There are "points" on it, and one of them went through the display, and 2 more went through the keypad area.

It's a donor now, if I need something to get another 92 working.

Drafin

I HIGHLY recommend the hard leather case for the PSR 500 from scanner master.

I accidentally crash test my 500 frequently and it seriously helps...not to mention keeping scratches from the case and extending the life of the print on the buttons on the keyboard.

To stay on topic though the shop costs seem like a reasonable price to extend the life of an expensive scanner. Wonder how Uniden compares rate wise. I have one that needs repairs but have been afraid to inquire.

Draf

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I'm a bit partial to the ballistic nylon case, thinking it's a bit less rigid, thus less shock if scanner gets dropped.
P.S. - I just ordered one for the PSR-500 I JUST BOUGHT, whoo hoo!!! Should be here Friday, cant wait ;-)

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I've dropped my PSR 500 around 50 times. Some of these were hard falls. Yes, I had a hard-leather case to protect it.

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
GRE Repair

Mine is on the way back from California GRE repair, $60.00 per hour plus parts and snail shipping is $12.00. I asked them to check the P25 as I am sure it was not working, replace volume knob, replace number touch pad and anything else necessary. They charged me $87.00 but I don't know what they did. Shipping to Florida is 7 days and I wanted to get faster shipping but we kept playing phone tag. Mine is due in Friday's UPS 2/11/11 and I will let you know what they repaired.
Ed

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have enjoyed a very pleasant relationship with GRE representatives, particularly the repair department. From my experience, they have bent over backwards to accommodate me. As I have repeatedly stated, I am a loyal GRE customer. Repairs are generally dealt with in a timely manner.

IC301

I can get a four year Warranty (instead of one year) for the price of one repair; I don't expect it covers beating it on the ground though. The repair cost is reasonable but I think I'll get a Warranty extension.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
My 500 is currently enroute to GRE repair using Return Material Authorization (RMA)

Initial / Repair charges 60.00
Plus parts if needed will be additional (WILL NOTIFY FOR AUTHORIZATION) 0.00
Unit Inspection 0.00
Shipping / Handling 12.00
TOTAL 0.00

Total will depend on any parts (if needed) or additional inspection..

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Make sure that covers PARTS & LABOR, as the parts can be costly. I had them replace the key pad and volume control and test and tweek the system and returned freight the cost was $87.00 and it looks like a new radio.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
In short, GRE scanners are very reliable.... so long as you treat them as if they are made of glass. ;) You have to play nice with your GRE toys or they break, unlike the tanks Uniden makes (ahh, if only I could somehow spoon the guts of a PSR-500 into the case of my - so far - indestructible 250D....)

-AZ

From my experiences with both Uniden & GRE, I can say that both are prone to the perils of gravity. My PSR 500 has sustained numerous hand-to-floor sojourns. It still works fine. I don't see where the analogy related to be being made of glass applies here.

But, the turn around time for GRE is pretty damn quick. I sent this one radio in for the repair of BNC housing after using a 2.5 db gain antenna. GRE fixed and shipped it on the date of receipt. I doubt Uniden will ever reach this level of efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.