GRE/RS/Whistler comparison Question's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Wasn't sure which forum this should go in----it's about the 3 title brands, and specific models. After reading through all three forums and getting information from everywhere I could. I am not putting the RS107 in with this group. Although if anyone knows the size of flash memory it has, I would be interested.

Comparison----RS Pro 18----identical to Gre/PSR 800-----not initially, but with the "Special Edition" upgrade they are. From what I gather same size flash memory. According to Don S. and Eric C.

Comparison---RS Pro 668---identical to Whistler 1080. Both able to do DMR with upgrade.
Same size flash memory?? I believe they are , but no proof.

Comparison ---Whistler 1088-----Whistler TRX-1 , both can be upgraded for DMR, TRX-1 also can do NXDN with upgrade. Same size flash memory?? If yes on the 1088, or if LARGER than the others, BUT not as large as the TRX-1 , could it possibly have room for NXDN? And really what IS the difference between these two models, is it simply JUST the memory?

These are just questions I have been wondering after reading through all the various posts.

Mike

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The PSR-700, PSR-800, Pro-18, Pro-668, and WS-1080/1088 have 384KB of flash memory. The PSR-700 is a PSR-800 variant without DSP. The Pro-18 is a PSR-800 variant with a changed keypad and no alert led. The Pro-668 and WS-1080 are based on the PSR-800 with changes (at least) to the battery charging circuit. The WS-1088 is a WS-1080 with expanded keypad.

The TRX-1/TRX-2 have 512KB of flash memory. As I mentioned in another thread, flash memory grows down in address space, so the start of the CPU application starts at lower addresses.

73 Eric

Haley

Thanks for explaining that Eric! So the RS 107 was the PSR 700's twin (cousin ?)then also. The 1088 kind of seems a bit redundant then, except I suppose to work the keypad into future designs ,such as the TRX1. Just interesting to me, so thanks for the information. Mike

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

How could I have forgotten the Pro-107. That has a 256KB flash size. It seems to be the original iScan type scanner. The FCC Number is ADV0602. The FCC numbers of the PSR-700, PSR-800, and Pro-18 are ADV0602901, ADV0602902, and ADV0602903, likely indicating they were derived from the Pro-107.

It is interesting to read the comments about earlier firmware for the Pro-107 was buggy and improved with later versions of firmware.

73 Eric

Haley

Hello,

How could I have forgotten the Pro-107. That has a 256KB flash size. It seems to be the original iScan type scanner. The FCC Number is ADV0602. The FCC numbers of the PSR-700, PSR-800, and Pro-18 are ADV0602901, ADV0602902, and ADV0602903, likely indicating they were derived from the Pro-107.

It is interesting to read the comments about earlier firmware for the Pro-107 was buggy and improved with later versions of firmware.

73 Eric

I remember seeing the 107, and everybody saying they didn't want an Ipod for a scanner (myself included). I suppose we owe the 107 a bit of praise for starting ball rolling on these models. I for one, did a 180 on them. 256k, smaller I assume just because it didn't need the digital vocoder. Anyway, thank you for the interesting information. Mike

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

A smaller flash size because it did not have to handle P25 trunking and lacks some of the features of the PSR-800. The PSR-700 likely has the larger flash size to reduce the parts variation between the variants.

I would not be surprised if the RF board on the PSR-700, PSR-800, and Pro-18 is the same assembly. It could be the same or similar to the Pro-107 RF board. One common practice is to assign dash numbers to variations of an assembly, so xxxxxx-01 could be a fully populated Logic board for the PSR-800, xxxxxx-02 could be the Logic board without Alert LED circuity for the Pro-18. and xxxxxx-03 could be the Logic board without DSP for the PSR-700.

The code base likely started with the Pro-107 development with additions and changes to support new features and changed hardware. All the aforementioned scanners use the same RRDB file. Unsupported system types are filtered out. The common heritage is what allows limited cross usage of the PC App and firmware.

73 Eric

T-Santon

The Pro-668 and WS-1080 are based on the PSR-800 with changes (at least) to the battery charging circuit.

I wonder if they tinkered with some other things in there as well, or if my 668 is just a bit of a lemon.

My 668 and my PSR-800 perform almost identically (and even more so now, since they both use the same 1080 firmware) with one major exception: P25 simulcasting.

Same outdoor yagi. Same cable run. My PSR-800 absolutely crushes the 668. The 668 seems to have major problems decoding the control channels, and in those rare moments it can, the voice decoding is terrible. My 800 does not suffer from these issues. It handles the same systems very well.

Again, this only seems to apply to P25 simulcasting. Everything else seems to be right on par with my 800.

Does anyone else own both the GRE and Whistler (or RadioShack) versions of this scanner that has noticed this issue as well? I'm hoping that maybe this is just some kind of anomaly, because I would really like to add a TRX to my collection. But if Whistler did something that made simulcast reception worse than it was when GRE made these scanners, I'll probably pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.