GRE USB Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I bought the USB cable from GRE when it first came out but never used it to program my Pro96. Today I wanted to make some changes to the program and decided to try the USB cable instead of the serial cable.

The GRE cable, 30-3290 model, comes with a CD with drivers, but when I plugged the cable into my computer I got the dong and bar that said new device and then it said ready to use. I didn't have to load any drivers and it works like a champ. It is really cool as it has green light that blinks while loading to scanner and a red light that blinks when the computer is receiving information (could be vice versa I didn't write it down).

This is a super cable and sure beats buying a converter from USB to serial and then a serial cable. GRE staying way ahead.

VintageJon

Yeah, you're right! I got the same thing and bought WIN96 and donated to the RR. Couldn't get any better- all the freqs with alpha tags.

Made so much more sense of the APCO95 in Central Texas now that my Pro96 is no longer showing mystery tags.

As I get time I'll expand it to the LCRA EDACS as this is OK but I think I can improve to Alpha Tags with the resources available.

Have yet to get down to San Antonio to see what improvements I have in recognoizing
transmissions from various Bases down there and MilAir. (OK, I know the general-belief is that a Pro96 sucks for MilAir, but I have to see. Oh, packing a Pro91 with same freqs for
MilAir so I can compare...)

73's,
Jon

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A PRO91 for milair?? Yechh - get something that can actually work there - you'll be better off, far and away.

Unfortunately the bottom line is an expensive one - you want digital and milair? Uniden.

73s Mike

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I keep saying that I sure am glad my Pro95 and 2096 can't read, because they sit here and pick up the milair. I guess they just don't know any better. Gill

scnnr

oktex88 said:
What are alpha tags?

The easiest way to explain a Alpha tag is to give a frequency or Talk Group a name .

For example say your Police Dept. ch 1 is on frequency 155.550 MHz then you would alpah tag it with the name of Police CH 1

A talk Group is basically the same as being a channel. say tg 16048 then you would name it Police channel 1 for that TG OF 16048

Here is a snapshot of some exmaples

Last edited:

oktex88

Ah ok! So alpha means alphabetical tag. Grand Forks? I thought about going to UND for Air Traffic Control. Too cold though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.