GRECOM / Whistler 1080 Get into program mode?

W1JCW

Have USB cable plugged into my GRECOM 400 but my whistler program does not connect.

Does the radio have to be in E status somehow? Its been a while since I updated everything.

Suggestions?

Thanks

tvengr

Well Known Member
What Whistler programming software are you using? The PSR-400 does not work with EZ Scan. Suggest trying Butel ARC300.

Last edited:

W1JCW

My GRECOM is 800 my mistake and its upgraded by Uniden so its the 1080 now or hybrid.

I was able to update it last year but for some reason I'm missing a step as it won't connect to my PC but I think it could be security but I'll follow up.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The title is very confusing
If OP is trying to use WS1080/WS1088 EZ Scan with a PSR-400, that explains why it doesn't connect.
The only radio made in that design by GRE was the psr800.. easy scan came on a disc with the psr800.

It's interesting when Whistler bought GRE Lock Stock and Barrel, I purchased one of the first ws1095 units which was the PSR 900 which had been around for about a year and a half but not sold to the public but certainly beta tested and ready to go. I called Whistler and spoke to a woman and a man together on the phone, I think I know who they were,😉 and they admitted that they knew nothing about the radios and we're learning as they were going but if I needed the driver for the 1095 I should simply download and use the one for the 1080.

Original poster I wrote this before I saw your last post saying that you meant psr800.

W1JCW

Now I get host not found.

I did have this working on the same PC when I got the radio back 9 months ago but for some reason it is not connecting now.

What else can I try ?

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
The socket error is due to a Whistler server problem. You do not need an internet connection to run the CPU firmware updater. It will update the CPU without any internet connection. Just connect your computer and scanner and run the extracted updater. Hold down the MENU button when you plug the cable into the scanner. That puts it into CPU upgrade mode. The scanner needs to be turned off.

Last edited:

W1JCW

What is the file name for "the extracted updater" ?
Start that program, hold down menu button, plug usb cable into the scanner and it should work?

Don't you use the internet for the db updates?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Don't you use the internet for the db updates?
Yes! You normally use the internet for database updates but the Whistler server currently has problems. The CPU updater I attached is standalone and does not require an internet connection. Plug the cable into your computer first. While holding down the MENU button, plug the cable into the scanner with the scanner off. That puts the scanner into the firmware upgrade mode. Then you run the updater. The extracted updater file is CPUUpdater_Legacy_U4.8_BOOT2.0.

W1JCW

Ok makes sense. Was unaware the server was actually having problems, thanks for that update. Want to update it as I'm going to sell it.

When I run the file update via the program, bring the scanner up the same way then start the Whistler program?

tvengr

Well Known Member
You do not update the firmware using EZ Scan because the server is not working. You do not need the EZ Scan software at all to do the update. The Updater file takes care of everything. That file has the latest firmware. If there is ever a later version, a new CPU updater with the later version will be available on the Whistler website providing they ever get it working again.