• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GROL testing in person

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I know there are remote exams for the GROL, but I hate remote exams because everything has to be scanned, locked down, reviewed, no restroom breaks, etc.

Does anyone know of a COLEM service that tests in Arizona?

n5ims

NRE (the commercial branch of the W5YI testing group) shows that there's a tester in Mesa AZ. His info is here --> NRE : - Commercial Examiners

Please note that during the testing session there are no breaks allowed, but between tests most do allow a break (e.g. after finishing the MRP - Element 1 - test but before starting the GROL - Element 3 - test they can allow a break if necessary).

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that was him. I probably wrote his name down in my book, but it's at work, and I'm not.
Did you do the training at the little hotel in California?
They came to a Hyatt hotel by the Cincinnati Northern KY airport. It was a class of about 22 people I think. It was a great experience but intense. Talk about your cram session. They also did the radar endorsement which was neat as I got some insight into shipboard radar. I met the president over the phone though. Because I had a FRN already for my GMRS license, then tied into the new FCC site around the same time they had problems registering my results. He personally worked through it for me on a Friday night. I have the trainer's name at the office with my books.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They came to a Hyatt hotel by the Cincinnati Northern KY airport. It was a class of about 22 people I think. It was a great experience but intense. Talk about your cram session. They also did the radar endorsement which was neat as I got some insight into shipboard radar. I met the president over the phone though. Because I had a FRN already for my GMRS license, then tied into the new FCC site around the same time they had problems registering my results. He personally worked through it for me on a Friday night. I have the trainer's name at the office with my books.

Elkins has/had a permanent classroom at a very small hotel in a very small town on the California coast, like seriously, a 4 way stop sort of town. It was set up there because it was close to the owner. I spent a few days there for the GROL and radar endorsement class. There was about 6 people in the class total. Only one guy went on for his GMDSS certification.
I had been studying the book off and on for years and was going to just take the test. We ended up with some spare training funds at work, so I requested the full course and it was granted. I spent 3-4 days in this tiny 100+ year old hotel in this little tiny town. A little coffee place, a deli and a market/liquor store were the only other places there. There were a lot of dairy farms around, and the whole place stunk and a lot of flies.

My brain hurt. I knew most of the technical stuff, but the math really dredged up some high school nightmares that I'd long since forgotten. I was glad I took the class to bring some of that stuff back out of the cobwebs (where the quickly returned to). Permanent lifetime license, so most of that stuff can stay back in the cobwebs now.

But, that instructor was a lot of fun. Lots of good real world experience that he worked into the class. I remember him talking about when he retired from the USAF, they took him up in one of the jets he'd been working on most of his career.

The last day was test day, and we pretty much wrapped up right about 12 noon. David Byrd walked in with a bunch of pizza and we all got to sit around and shoot the bull. Most of the people in the class were BDA installers getting the GROL so they could design systems. The other guy worked for some shop and was doing a lot of marine installs and needed the GROL for the marine and GMDSS work.

I used this guy's extra class exam to upgrade from my tech class license. My cousin used this too, he mentioned the last time he did some of the math problems he was using a slide rule. I got my GROL 2.8.85, it had tube circuit questions.

At one time we had an RFQ to teach GROL to coast guard techs who were getting ready to leave the service so they could have saleable jobs skills in the civilian world. The coastie we were talking to got transferred and we never heard more about it.

The Navy sent me to fork lift school when I was running their vending machine supply warehouse at NTC San Diego.
During class we had a quiz on driving rules and traffic laws. We graded our own quiz and read answers out loud.
When my turn came the question was 'how many sides does a stop sign have?'

My answer was 2, front and back.
The instructor said 'how many said 8?'

Everyone else did, then he said "you're all wrong, I like his answer".

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Not GROL but we’re drifting anyway.

At my old job I was part of test group for a new ETA test they were writing . We had about 20 people in our class. After 3 days of instruction we took the test, EVERYONE failed except me. They decided the test was too hard and disregard all the results and rewrote the test. I got pissy and decided to not take the revised test since I’d already passed the “real” test. Oh well, one less cert on my resume.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
I got to meet Bill Elkins ...1974...at Elkins Electronics Institute in Dallas Tx where I attending.
aww the good ole days when we went to the FCC office to take the tests in person with #2 pencil and 1 blank piece of paper.
Got my First Class Radiotelephone License there.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not GROL but we’re drifting anyway.

At my old job I was part of test group for a new ETA test they were writing . We had about 20 people in our class. After 3 days of instruction we took the test, EVERYONE failed except me. They decided the test was too hard and disregard all the results and rewrote the test. I got pissy and decided to not take the revised test since I’d already passed the “real” test. Oh well, one less cert on my resume.

I have a coworker that cowrote some of the training for BICSI OSP engineering and I seem to recall him saying something similar.