Grounding Ladder Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I don't have a calculation handy but around 1mh is used in most HF bias Tees for inserting voltage up the coax. I'll look for a magazine article I've seen where the value was calculated for a bias Tee and 1mh favored the lower bands like 160 through about 15m and a value around .75mh or so was a little better on 10m without giving up too much isolation on 160m. At least that's what I remember from the article. Its also a fairly invisible value to provide a short across coax in a 50 ohm system.
prcguy

Its known that bypassing with a 1mh choke (+/- .25mh) in a 50 ohm system works as does a high value of resistance across the line.

Can you direct me to some source of the math on this selection of choke size. It may be that "its known". but I haven;t yet run across that one. Be grateful for a direction.

So why not do your static grounding on the 50 ohm side of your tuner or right at the radio?

Using expensive and sensitive antenna analyzers (AA-54 and Sark 110) on the side upstream and downstream of tuner for various measurements, and don't want to run risk of front-end blow out from static electricity.

Elecraft forum carries suggestions for high resistance fro each side of feedline to ground, and even across the ladder line (one side to the other).

Thanks for your comments. Looking for your reply.

AG6CX

Thanks so much for the thoughts. I'll look for AD5X article on bias tees, In the meantime, should you find something, would be great to see.
Ed McCann
Ag6cx

Status
Not open for further replies.