Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Does grounding my coax line from the antenna do anything to the reception?

lep

Do you mean grounding the outershield or do you mean the signal carrying conductor? Your Question is not clear to me as exactly what you are considering grounding?

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I have the cable going from my antenna-coax to a grounding block and then from there it goes into my house to my scanner. The grounding block has a wire going from it to the house ground. Is this ok to do and does it do anything to the reception?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I have the cable going from my antenna-coax to a grounding block and then from there it goes into my house to my scanner. The grounding block has a wire going from it to the house ground. Is this ok to do and does it do anything to the reception?

It might. Electrical house grounds are notoriously noisy, although this is not such a big deal on VHF using one or another form of Frequency Modulation. A good outside ground will shunt current from the outer part of the coax shield to ground and reduce noise, but again this is of much more significance at HF. If you live in a lightning prone area you do need the shield of your coax grounded. For that purpose the house wiring ground will likely be just as good as a separate ground system outside your house.

One possibility I have heard of is to run the coax through a buried conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.