• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Had to try it: Hamgeek APX-8000

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Welp... ordered one from greedbay. Impressions: looks great, build quality good, loud audio, not hi-fi but not baofeng-tinny either. Sensitivity on a par with your average CCR. More hefty, better feel than most other consumer grade radios. Call it prosumer.

Not so good: on some frequencies the squelch tail is horrible, even a double tail. Audio dropouts unless you have the right bandwidth selected. Other radios of mine aren't so fussy. On ham freqs unless you have it set to wide, audio will mute on a received signal. The real kicker: in scan, if you have PL on receive, it skips past the frequency and won't stop IOW you hear a burp and it keeps scanning. Death sentence. In CSQ scan works fine.

I have a message in to the seller to see if I can try another one but not holding my breath.

Hand programmed, didn't wanna wait weeks for a cable. Life's too short. At least I got the radio from a U.S. based source.

Anyone else here get curious and get one? What are your *polite* thoughts? Buy-an-APX comments will be ignored, one of those is 3/4 of my whole yearly income. For us wacker wannabe proles this could be a good alternative if they'd fix the problems.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Welp... ordered one from greedbay. Impressions: looks great, build quality good, loud audio, not hi-fi but not baofeng-tinny either. Sensitivity on a par with your average CCR. More hefty, better feel than most other consumer grade radios. Call it prosumer.

Not so good: on some frequencies the squelch tail is horrible, even a double tail. Audio dropouts unless you have the right bandwidth selected. Other radios of mine aren't so fussy. On ham freqs unless you have it set to wide, audio will mute on a received signal. The real kicker: in scan, if you have PL on receive, it skips past the frequency and won't stop IOW you hear a burp and it keeps scanning. Death sentence. In CSQ scan works fine.

I have a message in to the seller to see if I can try another one but not holding my breath.

Hand programmed, didn't wanna wait weeks for a cable. Life's too short. At least I got the radio from a U.S. based source.

Anyone else here get curious and get one? What are your *polite* thoughts? Buy-an-APX comments will be ignored, one of those is 3/4 of my whole yearly income. For us wacker wannabe proles this could be a good alternative if they'd fix the problems.
Sounds as buggy as the real deal..

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
$25 - Maybe
$125 - Absolutely not

If one is willing to spend $125, why not add a little more and get an XTS5000 with P25 as well.
Not once in my existence did I ever see an xts for 125. And obtaining software etc. is an issue.
I had all the Motorolas up till the Saber years ago, but don't have the programming capabilities any more nor the income.

KC2TJS

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased one the manual doesn’t help that much. Question once you save a channel into memory how do you access it.

KC2TJS

Premium Subscriber
I figured it out I programmed channel mode to the 2nd side button.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
I figured it out I programmed channel mode to the 2nd side button.
Are you having the same problems I described? Especially the scan skipping over PL enabled channels? I'm trying to figure how defective this really is before I dispute it with the CC company. (or throw it against the wall)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Not once in my existence did I ever see an xts for 125. And obtaining software etc. is an issue.
I had all the Motorolas up till the Saber years ago, but don't have the programming capabilities any more nor the income.
I've gotten XTS2500 model 3 radios as low as $170 for UHF-R1. Software is but a Google search away and programming cables are in the $40 range. Pretty minimal investment for a radio that runs circles around the Chinese garbage.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I don't have one but I saw a YouTube video that showed it has a USB-C interface so a standard USB-C cable should work on it. I have no idea about software (Chirp?)

rf_patriot200

I saw two videos, on that thing from Hamgeek. I'm guessing it's more of a half thought novelty radio, more than anything else. Might be fun for Cosplay users as long as they stay off licensed frequencies with it. The 8800 Mah battery is the most interesting part.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
I saw two videos, on that thing from Hamgeek. I'm guessing it's more of a half thought novelty radio, more than anything else. Might be fun for Cosplay users as long as they stay off licensed frequencies with it. The 8800 Mah battery is the most interesting part.
It might be a real 8800 mah, takes forever to charge. And it does take a special programming cable but I hand programmed it, don't want to wait forever and RT systems is greedy, no more $$$$ spent! Your novelty radio comment is pretty dead on.
Of course my very first choice would be Motorola but that ain't happening on a social security income unless I luck into a crackhead deal.

rf_patriot200

It might be a real 8800 mah, takes forever to charge. And it does take a special programming cable but I hand programmed it, don't want to wait forever and RT systems is greedy, no more $$$$ spent! Your novelty radio comment is pretty dead on.
Of course my very first choice would be Motorola but that ain't happening on a social security income unless I luck into a crackhead deal.
LOL, Find me a Crackhead with a APX, and I'll find you a fully loaded, unattended Armored Car ! Jason's channel on Youtube, Hamradio2.0 did a pretty fair review of it, but he didn't delve into the programming of it much, or Where it's actually legal to transmit with it, other than 2m/70cm. Spectrum purity, on 2m and 70cm. is another issue.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Well, at least I took one for the team and I got a 50% refund from the seller. It came to me obviously used, sold as new, so I complained, and I don't know if it is defective or really that poor. Probably both. So unless you want it for wackerism or a movie prop, avoid!

ems324

LOL, Find me a Crackhead with a APX, and I'll find you a fully loaded, unattended Armored Car ! Jason's channel on Youtube, Hamradio2.0 did a pretty fair review of it, but he didn't delve into the programming of it much, or Where it's actually legal to transmit with it, other than 2m/70cm. Spectrum purity, on 2m and 70cm. is another issue.
there isn't any programming software to get online. I had a hamgeek apx-8000, but the problem was that I couldn't find any programming software. I reached out to the company and they sent me a program that was virus free, but when I loaded the software, it's not in english and I couldn't utilize all the options. The FPP is so tedious that it's not worth try to do it. I got rid of the radio because it's not user friendly when it comes to programming.

rf_patriot200

Well, at least I took one for the team and I got a 50% refund from the seller. It came to me obviously used, sold as new, so I complained, and I don't know if it is defective or really that poor. Probably both. So unless you want it for wackerism or a movie prop, avoid!
Not a bad Idea for a movie prop, or Cosplay where a P.S safety radio might not have to be functional .

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
This was predictable.IMG_20240620_231246055.jpg
Yippe-ky-yay, m'fkr! Bye bye, I cast your body to the deep. Worst POS I ever had the displeasure of owning. Busted it up so I won't be tempted to fart with it again!
Jumped on Amazon and got a Btech 6x2, $209.00, already had cables and cps. Pleased with that.
Oh, well, at least I did the r&d for you if you're insane enough to think about buying one of these disasters. 🙄

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
For $139, one could have an affordable luxury Icom IC-F9521T P25 radio with CopSounds™ and Japanese made quality from MTC. Instead of buying Chinese junk that sounds like a bag of smashed buttholes, spreads RFI worse than a whore with herpes, and will outlast most of the living.

I don't understand the attraction to these turd radios. No matter what fancy housing they're put it, inside it's the same low rent, low performing consumer walkie-talkie SOCs that suck worse than a Hoover Ultra Elite or a Detroit whore desperate for a hit. But hey, it's your money not mine.

rf_patriot200

there isn't any programming software to get online. I had a hamgeek apx-8000, but the problem was that I couldn't find any programming software. I reached out to the company and they sent me a program that was virus free, but when I loaded the software, it's not in english and I couldn't utilize all the options. The FPP is so tedious that it's not worth try to do it. I got rid of the radio because it's not user friendly when it comes to programming.
RT Systems Does have software for it. Did you see it ?