• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Had to try it: Hamgeek APX-8000

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps we should focus on talking about the radio rather than insulting the people who choose to buy and use it.
THANK you šŸ‘! I was curious to try it, and maybe this helped someone else. At least I got a lively discussion going.

Last edited:

rescuecomm

I like the top display. Don't need any more HT's, but i might buy a couple just for the h#ll of it. I'll be cool about "NOT" carrying CCRs into Jawja to keep a certain person's blood pressure down. After the Six Flags mini-riot, I'm not crossing the state line except in a jet.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
I like the top display. Don't need any more HT's, but i might buy a couple just for the h#ll of it. I'll be cool about "NOT" carrying CCRs into Jawja to keep a certain person's blood pressure down. After the Six Flags mini-riot, I'm not crossing the state line except in a jet.
After all I wrote? Don't waste your money and stress. Worst radio I ever had in 50 years of fooling with this stuff. It's a shame because it *looks* great, and when I tore it down the build quality is good. Electrically? Hard pass.
Commercial radio'd be great but I need dual band, and ain't gonna be no APX on a social security income. For guys like me CCR's have their place. I'm rural and 25-30 analog channels cover everything. Baofengs work fine, 99.9/10% of use is listening and sensitivities beat the crap out of scanners.
Wound up with the Btech 6x2, hacks available, familiar with the CPS, and it just works. Sorry, not every Chinese radio is junk.

Reactions: pto

rf_patriot200

I think it's well established that the radio is a piece of trash, and no different than any other low performing, buggy, sub-standard, low quality CCR except it's in a new case that cosplays itself as a high tier MSI product.
I don't think there's anything wrong in liking the radio for it's novelty, or simply because it's available. Some may be happy with it, some may not. Not all of us are Purists. That's all I have concerning the device.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I don't think there's anything wrong in liking the radio for it's novelty, or simply because it's available. Some may be happy with it, some may not. Not all of us are Purists. That's all I have concerning the device.
One can like anything. Some people collect fake turds. It doesn't make them valuable. The fact that there enough suckers to spend $100 on a $15 radio is just capitalism. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't make this turd morph into a pile of gold.

Welp... ordered one from greedbay. Impressions: looks great, build quality good, loud audio, not hi-fi but not baofeng-tinny either. Sensitivity on a par with your average CCR. More hefty, better feel than most other consumer grade radios. Call it prosumer.

Not so good: on some frequencies the squelch tail is horrible, even a double tail. Audio dropouts unless you have the right bandwidth selected. Other radios of mine aren't so fussy. On ham freqs unless you have it set to wide, audio will mute on a received signal. The real kicker: in scan, if you have PL on receive, it skips past the frequency and won't stop IOW you hear a burp and it keeps scanning. Death sentence. In CSQ scan works fine.

I have a message in to the seller to see if I can try another one but not holding my breath.

Hand programmed, didn't wanna wait weeks for a cable. Life's too short. At least I got the radio from a U.S. based source.

Anyone else here get curious and get one? What are your *polite* thoughts? Buy-an-APX comments will be ignored, one of those is 3/4 of my whole yearly income. For us wacker wannabe proles this could be a good alternative if they'd fix the problems.
The latest firmware indicates channel name on the secondary display.

Attachments

• Radio - Set - APX-8000. 5.JPG
    Radio - Set - APX-8000. 5.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 34
It's a good thing your Firmware upgrade worked. I read on their site, where they suggested Not doing it unless you needed to.
I guess they're not too confident in it.
Well, that's not it exactly. They don't have confidence in the user's ability to do it--and, most likely, rightly so. Most manufacturers give the same cautions. I've done a few and they have been flawless if you follow the instructions with patience--which seems to be a problem for many.

rf_patriot200

Well, that's not it exactly. They don't have confidence in the user's ability to do it--and, most likely, rightly so. Most manufacturers give the same cautions. I've done a few and they have been flawless if you follow the instructions with patience--which seems to be a problem for many.
True. I've seen a couple that were done textbook, and the radios bricked themselves.

pto

Feed Provider
Mine never had a top display issue. I used rt software to program it though.

The email I received from hamgeek was hard to translate.
What I surmised is that if I didn't have the Issue, don't try to update.

aside from that,
I also asked if they were going to do any updates to address the actual problem of it being a piece of crap.
I got an answer, again, hard to translate,
I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Doesn't matter, I returned it for a full refund,
Seller even paid return shipping.

I wasn't expecting much more than a 'feng...
It was worse.....

Are you speaking about a particular top display issue? I am not aware of any problems with it but would like to know.

I understand how you feel about it.

pto

Feed Provider
Are you speaking about a particular top display issue? I am not aware of any problems with it but would like to know.

I understand how you feel about it.
The top display evidently did not show alpha tags, just frequency,
according to the email I received from HamGeek.

Again, mine did not have that issue.
Maybe because I used RT Systems software to program it..
I'm just guessing.
YMMV

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
I mentioned before all the problems I had:
Receiver would cut out if I got my hand near the display.
In scan, PL would not decode so radio skipped over those channels even when active.
The worst: obnoxious long double squelch crash.
If firmware updates fixed all-not some-of this I could be tempted, otherwise, no way.

doc62

I figured that I would give one a try. Ordered off of Amazon. Came today. Only 8 watts on 2m and 7 watts on 70cm. Also the box looked to be someoneā€™s return. The items were just tossed in the box. The card board for holding everything was torn and there were no plastic films on the displays. Already returned it for a refund.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
I figured that I would give one a try. Ordered off of Amazon. Came today. Only 8 watts on 2m and 7 watts on 70cm. Also the box looked to be someoneā€™s return. The items were just tossed in the box. The card board for holding everything was torn and there were no plastic films on the displays. Already returned it for a refund.
That's getting to be par for the course with Amazon.