Ham classes learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

Any classes in the central coast, ca or online to learn about radio, etc applications and theory? I know it's an experimental hobby. It would be nice to learn day apes on my radio and what things mean not by the manual but by a teacher.

KC5AKB

Google , look on the Arrl site for clubs and test sessions also on W5YI : Resources for Amateur & Commercial Radio
Make some phone calls . Send some emails ask about club lectures and classes.
In the Dallas Fort Worth area clubs have topics and classes also hamfest lectures
In Cleburne Tx the local bunch has a training net where anyone is welcome to show
Up at the station and ask questions get help in person or on the air .
Meet for Sat breakfast it is a down home come on in and lets talk bunch.
They will not let you be shy. You just have to look around to find those kind of groups.
You can also train on running the training net . Just say the word.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
There is a class starting soon in southern Monterrey County. Let me know if you'd like more info.

k6cpo

There's a gentleman in Metro Detroit that goes around teaching one day Saturday Tech Classes. Everyone seems to like his teaching style. He's made a dvd of one of his classes. Maybe the OP would be interested. Here's a link to the info about it:

One-Day Tech Class DVD now available - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

The one-day classes are good for learning the questions and their answers, but really does little more than help pass the examination. We have classes like that about once a month in different parts of the county and we always conduct an exam session at the end of the class. However, the instructors always emphasize that the students do additional study and practice once they have their licenses.

To that end, the local ARES group conducts monthly sessions in the use of hand-held radios (since most new hams start out with an HT.) The sessions are hands-on with two or three students per instructor. There are loaner radios available for those that don't have one and there are instructors conversant in most of the common HTs, including the Chinese made ones. The classes are free and open to anyone with an interest, licensed or not.

kb6nu

Hey....I'm no gentleman. I'm just KB6NU. :)

The videos on the DVD are also available for free on my YouTube channel. The DVD is nice because not only do you get all 48 videos on a single DVD, I throw in copies of the Kindle, Nook, and PDF versions of my Technician Class license study guide. To order a copy, go to One-Day Tech Class DVD - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog.

K6CPO is correct. The goal of this class is to teach you the answers to the questions on the test. Along the way, you do learn something about radio, but the idea is that once you get your license, you'll actually start doing radio and then learn by doing.

Dan KB6NU

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Hey....I'm no gentleman. I'm just KB6NU. :)

The videos on the DVD are also available for free on my YouTube channel. The DVD is nice because not only do you get all 48 videos on a single DVD, I throw in copies of the Kindle, Nook, and PDF versions of my Technician Class license study guide. To order a copy, go to One-Day Tech Class DVD - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog.

K6CPO is correct. The goal of this class is to teach you the answers to the questions on the test. Along the way, you do learn something about radio, but the idea is that once you get your license, you'll actually start doing radio and then learn by doing.

Dan KB6NU
The Tech download you have is an great read and good way to start out .......

Status
Not open for further replies.