• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

handheld CB pin broken off in the BNC connector... is drilling my only option?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Looking at your pics, it sure looks like half the pin still remains, which would be why you needed pliers to remove the antenna you tried. If it were me, I would get a good dental pic set and gently try to wedge and pull the broken pin out. 3rd one in from left looks like a good candidate. Or I would get the micro needle nose pliers from amazon and try those. I also would not attempt to try any other antenna on that connecter until all of the broken pin is removed. All that is going to do is force the broken pin inside further making it harder to remove.

71ynkCPsX9L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

71fHI8nliWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

PACNWDude

I have had BNC connector pins get stuck in the antenna connectors for Harris AN/PRC-117 series multiband radios as well (numerous times). What worked for me was to take a tinned wire that was warmed up with a soldering iron, and sticking that into the BNC pin stuck into the female connector. Has worked every time to get that broken pin out.....no need to replace the female BNC connector. Just don't leave that hot wire inside the pin and connector for too long....you want it warm enough to make contact with the pin, and yank it out of the connector.

niceguy71

I have had BNC connector pins get stuck in the antenna connectors for Harris AN/PRC-117 series multiband radios as well (numerous times). What worked for me was to take a tinned wire that was warmed up with a soldering iron, and sticking that into the BNC pin stuck into the female connector. Has worked every time to get that broken pin out.....no need to replace the female BNC connector. Just don't leave that hot wire inside the pin and connector for too long....you want it warm enough to make contact with the pin, and yank it out of the connector.
That's brilliant!!! Probably would have worked too but I already ruined it with Drill ... I'll remember for the next time

"............I'll remember for the next time..................."

Oh Sweet Mary !---- A next time !!

c2a6b.jpg

Lets hope that won't happen again ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the other hand I would be concerned that it is not transmitting anything to a near by radio--- that seems ominous; like maybe
"Something (more) is rotten in the state of Denmark."

I hate to say it, but does the word "Brick" mean anything--- ?

Last edited:

TomLine

Superglue on the tip of a same size pin? Wait 5, then yank it out. When it's completely destroyed, just replace the connector.

Reactions: wtp

G7RUX

I've bought several handheld CB's off e-bay and none of them seem to work.. getting sick of it... anyway I saw a review and range test on You Tube Tune of the Midland 75-810 what a fantastic radio so I bought one off E-bay with the rubber ducky antenna it worked great all around the neighborhood. I then went to put on the Cobra HA-TA long range antenna but it would not go one.. I tried forcing it but now way was it going on.... so I tried my 51" Hyshikra long range antenna and same thing... looking in the Midland 75-810 factory ducky antenna I see just a white plastic hole that connects to the BCN connector and in the BNC connector it looks like a solid center??? I think the pin from the antenna is in the BNC connector.... any idea's how to get it out??.... I'm not that handy to pull the whole thing apart and replace the BNC connector and this thing is so small I can't imagine getting this thing apart.... before I drill it, I thought I would ask if anyone else had this problem?? and how did you fix it
Use a tiny bit of superglue on the end of a toothpick, glue it to the back of the broken pin and pull it out of the connector. This has worked for me when presented with the same issue.
BNC connectors are pretty good but wobbling antennas around on the top of a handheld can do this…it’s one of the reasons why lots of manufacturers have switched to SMA.

niceguy71

"............I'll remember for the next time..................."

Oh Sweet Mary !---- A next time !!

View attachment 141998

Lets hope that won't happen again ;)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the other hand I would be concerned that it is not transmitting anything to a near by radio--- that seems ominous; like maybe
"Something (more) is rotten in the state of Denmark."

I hate to say it, but does the word "Brick" mean anything--- ?

I've looked for one of these radio's for a long time... finally got it on e-bay it came with the factory rubber duckie antenna... took the dog for a 1 mile walk maybe closer to two miles and it worked fantastic... clear as a bell both ways... next day I said I think I can get 5 miles with the long range antenna and that's when I found out the rubber duckies pin was broken inside..... love the radio... not going to put the brick in the trash just yet... let me get a hammer and open this thing up and take a look

( kidding about the hammer)

DaveC1964

I've looked for one of these radio's for a long time... finally got it on e-bay it came with the factory rubber duckie antenna... took the dog for a 1 mile walk maybe closer to two miles and it worked fantastic... clear as a bell both ways... next day I said I think I can get 5 miles with the long range antenna and that's when I found out the rubber duckies pin was broken inside..... love the radio... not going to put the brick in the trash just yet... let me get a hammer and open this thing up and take a look

( kidding about the hammer)
If you open it you may be lucky if it is a through hole then you can just poke out the broken piece with a pin. I am guessing it is a blind hole so water doesn't get in but who knows.

niceguy71

I got the radio apart it wasn't too bad but that's only because I found an on line step by step info. ( the screws were pretty hidden) when I drilled it or pushed another antenna on it one or the other....must have pushed the pin in the BNC connector into the radio it was into the radio like 1/2 inch... it broke off the antenna connection wire and touched some electrical thing ( industry term) and bent a couple do-dads ... I straightened the do-dads and now I'm looking for the correct BNC connector and I'll solder it in and cross my fingers.......
in the old days lots of radio shops that would be happy to do it for me.... now I can't even find one that will work on it unless I bought it from them... what a world

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
and I'll solder it in and cross my fingers.......

Yeah, don't cross your fingers and then solder, they might get stuck that way.

in the old days lots of radio shops that would be happy to do it for me.... now I can't even find one that will work on it unless I bought it from them... what a world

True. With a few notable exceptions, we live in a throw away society. Some are awfully proud of being able to throw away a $25 Chinese radio and just buy a new one. Zero skill involved in that.

When it really comes down to it, there a whole lot of satisfaction in being able to repair it yourself.