Hands down best RG8X?

K6GBW

I need to replace a run of coax for my EFHW. It's about 46' or so. I usually buy a 50' run and trim it to fit. My last coax was Davis RF and it's been out in the California sun for about six years. Is there a better brand? My primary concern is how well it handles hot as hell weather.

K6GBW

I'm fourteen miles from the coast! But the smoggy air and brutal heat of the San Gabriel Valley just kills coax, so its just something I've gotten used to.

Times microwave it is!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What is the difference between LMR-240-DB and LMR-240? Where did you get it?

DB is the "Direct Bury" rated cable. It has a water displacement gel inside that helps keep water out when the jacket gets compromised.

I'd recommend NOT using the DB rated cable unless you are actually putting it underground (either "direct bury" or in a conduit). The gel will flow when the cable gets warm, and it can make a mess.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
DB is the "Direct Bury" rated cable. It has a water displacement gel inside that helps keep water out when the jacket gets compromised.

I'd recommend NOT using the DB rated cable unless you are actually putting it underground (either "direct bury" or in a conduit). The gel will flow when the cable gets warm, and it can make a mess.
And you never want to direct bury it anyway, always run a conduit. Otherwise the gel will just become BBQ sauce for rodents.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
And you never want to direct bury it anyway, always run a conduit. Otherwise the gel will just become BBQ sauce for rodents.
100% absolutely. Direct bury isn't permanent. It's temporary until the cable fails enough times that it just gets easier to put in conduit.

And for those in the back row, even underground, in conduit, you need DB rated cable. Water -will- find it's way into the conduit and will eventually breach the jacket.

bharvey2

+1 on the TM LMR-240. I use it quite a bit and it seems to hold up pretty well. Direct burial? Well, it does tend to get buried in my stock of coax rolls but it never goes underground unless it's in conduit. That applies to almost all of the underground cabling work that I've had to do.

Unidener

Premium Subscriber

Makes sense.....When I was in the Cable business....I had to cut and splice a lot of it.....nasty stuff!

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
Now I'm confused...it's been a long time and I may have used RG213 but can't remember.

ON the times site "
"50 Ohm Coaxial Cable - Direct Burial Low Loss RG8X Cable"

So is RG213 the same as RG8X? or is the center conductor larger? What is the difference?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Now I'm confused...it's been a long time and I may have used RG213 but can't remember.

ON the times site "
"50 Ohm Coaxial Cable - Direct Burial Low Loss RG8X Cable"

So is RG213 the same as RG8X? or is the center conductor larger? What is the difference?

LMR-240 is about the same size as RG-8X and often referred to as an "RG-8X" spec cable, although it has better performance than run of the mill RG-8X.

RG-213 is RG-8 size (no -X suffix). Center conductor is larger than 8X and the overall cable diameter is larger.

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
LMR-240 is about the same size as RG-8X and often referred to as an "RG-8X" spec cable, although it has better performance than run of the mill RG-8X.

RG-213 is RG-8 size (no -X suffix). Center conductor is larger than 8X and the overall cable diameter is larger.
That's what I thought the center conductor.....

Forgot to ask.....do I need RG213 connectors or will regular RG-8X work?

(BTW....IF you were in the CG, did you ever work in NC? Your last name sound familar)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's what I thought the center conductor.....

Forgot to ask.....do I need RG213 connectors or will regular RG-8X work?

No, RG-213 and RG-8X are physically different sizes, not just the center conductor, but the entire cable is a different size. Make sure you get the right size for the cable you are using. If you are using LMR-240, get the Times Microwave LMR-240 connectors, it'll save you a lot of headache.

(BTW....IF you were in the CG, did you ever work in NC? Your last name sound familar)

No, other than basic in Cape May, I spent all my time in Alaska and then Seattle.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
RG-8X and LMR240 are about about 0.240 inches in diameter.

RG-8, RG-213, and LMR400 are 0.400 to 0.405 inches in diameter.

I'm talking about the diameter over the outer jacket.

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
No, RG-213 and RG-8X are physically different sizes, not just the center conductor, but the entire cable is a different size. Make sure you get the right size for the cable you are using. If you are using LMR-240, get the Times Microwave LMR-240 connectors, it'll save you a lot of headache.

No, other than basic in Cape May, I spent all my time in Alaska and then Seattle.
Thanks!

I'm seeing on Amazoo where they reference LMR-400 RG-213, is LMR-400 the same as RG-213 in as far as connector?

BTW.....I was a contractor at Fort Macon......loved my job and the people!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks!

I'm seeing on Amazoo where they reference LMR-400 RG-213, is LMR-400 the same as RG-213 in as far as connector?

BTW.....I was a contractor at Fort Macon......loved my job and the people!

They are similar in size, but usually slightly different. If you are just doing a UHF connector, the cheap solder on ones usually work fine.

If you are doing anything other than a UHF connector, get the correct Times Microwave branded connectors and save yourself a lot of headaches, cursing and hair loss.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
To narrow the subject just a little, are there different jacket types that resist ozone and UV better than others? or are they all pretty much the same.

Thanks
Joel

G7RUX

Buy what you like to buy normally but put it in Adaptaflex conduit.

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
They are similar in size, but usually slightly different. If you are just doing a UHF connector, the cheap solder on ones usually work fine.

If you are doing anything other than a UHF connector, get the correct Times Microwave branded connectors and save yourself a lot of headaches, cursing and hair loss.
gigaparts is out.....know of a good source?

And are you suggesting Crimp is better than solder for say 10m? Just asking because I've been soldering lately (RG-8X).....Just hoping I don't have to buy another crimper....