Hands down best RG8X?

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
A 40 watt iron will solder the center conductor nicely on the DXE "Next Generation" PL259s.

OTOH... with the CATV connector (known as a Type "F" connector) that you mention, the center conductor is the center pin.
They are easy to install and relatively cheap as is the RG6 coax. Actually, several of my ham antennas here are fed with RG6 using F connectors
(with appropriate adapters as necessary to mate with whatever). Don't worry too much about the 75 ohm thing as it really doesn't make a big difference in actual practice. But, this could open a whole another thread...

Don't worry too much about the 75 ohm thing

That's what I've never understood....IF I put a 75ohm terminator the cable reads 75 ohms....IF I take off the 75 and put on a 50 ohm terminator or dummy load....I read 50 ohms...I always thought it was how it was terminated.....guess I need to see it with a scope

merlin

That's what I've never understood....IF I put a 75ohm terminator the cable reads 75 ohms....IF I take off the 75 and put on a 50 ohm terminator or dummy load....I read 50 ohms...I always thought it was how it was terminated.....guess I need to see it with a scope
Because you are measuring with a DC ohm meter. You need to look at the coax with an impedance bridge or smith chart.
50 ohm coax is intended for TX/RX and a trade off between a transmitter with 38 ohm impedance and receiver impedance in the 75 ohm range.
For receiving, the difference between 50 an 75 ohm is less than a half S unit, so you won't see the difference without a VNA.
Transmitting is a bit more critical, the losses can be 3DB or about half your power reacing the antenna, not counting length losses.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Merlin explained it well.

I'll simplify it a little bit:
Resistance is measured in Ohms.
Impedance is also measured in Ohms.

Your meter was set to read resistance, which saw the terminator at the end of the cable. That's normal and to be expected.

It takes different test gear to measure impedance.

What you did do is discover a good way to test your cable. That's a great way to test for opens and shorts on a coax cable.

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
Merlin explained it well.

I'll simplify it a little bit:
Resistance is measured in Ohms.
Impedance is also measured in Ohms.

Your meter was set to read resistance, which saw the terminator at the end of the cable. That's normal and to be expected.

It takes different test gear to measure impedance.

What you did do is discover a good way to test your cable. That's a great way to test for opens and shorts on a coax cable.
Yes that's what I figured about having other equipment that measures impedance....But like you said, at least I'll confirm that the connectors are not shorted!

Have a great weekend.....unless I find more questions:rolleyes: