Hardware / software used in higher-end setups

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Various feed providers over time have provided information about the systems they use to run SDRTrunk, Trunking Recorder, RDIO Scanner, and things like that -- usually for the purpose of providing Broadcastify normal feeds and BCFY Calls feeds. I'm wondering if some of the providers with higher-end setups would post what they are using.

A lot of us (including me) are using low-end, repurposed, budget computers -- full desktops, laptops, SBCs, thin clients - Celeron processors 10+ years old, etc. I'm not interested in the weak sauce. I'd like to hear from some of the people who are monitoring multiple large systems, are providing BCFY Feeds and/or Calls, including machine specs, types and numbers of SDR devices, PCI USB cards or USB hubs that are reliable, etc. The guys and gals doing this are also likely running some other softwares to archive the audio content locally on their machines and provide access to themselves and may also be using their setups to aggregate feeds and calls in RDIO scanner from remote locations / other users.

Any volunteers? I'm sure there are some users operating some pretty expensive / high-end hardware. If there is anyone running one of the Intel NUC devices from places like GEEKOM or from Intel directly, I'd be interested in your thoughts about heat dissipation issues and things like that. Those NUCs are nice, but unless you spec them out with the highest speed DRAM and quality stuff, they really end up not benchmarking out the way one would expect/want them to for the price -- and they have to generate some heat if they are significantly used.

Mike

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I run 1 system on SDRTrunk which uploads to 1 calls feed and 4 regular streams, using a single Airspy R2. I also have 2 instances of ProScan, 1 is a trunked analog system and 1 is an amateur repeater, both running off BCT-15x scanners and USB sound cards.

This all runs on an old Dell T1700 tower, i7-4790 (3.6GHz) with 16 GB ram and a Samsung 860 EVO hard drive. It works well and doesn't seem to max out the RAM or CPU, but I think it's close to maxed out on USB bus, because when I connected the SDS100, it booted the Airspy R2. No USB hubs are used in my case.

As for heat, the computer runs well, as its a workstation designed to be a workhorse, but my office gets HOT in the summer with the number of computers and equipment running. I don't have any concerns about overheating.

My issue I'm facing now is the W10 EOL, keeping this system running, and the fact that if I am looking to replace this, it will probably be a brand new workstation machine with more USB bus available.

jschmall

Premium Subscriber
I can chime in with my setup. I'll break this up into hardware and software.

Hardware:
Optiplex 7040 Micro, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD
This machine is part of my Proxmox cluster and runs all of my software directly related to RF (simply put, if it requires an SDR, this machine handles it. I have (12) SDRs attached to this machine using (3) 4-port USB3 hubs powered by a stand-alone 5VDC power supply. This machine usually sits at about 40% CPU usage across the board and is dead quiet. Once I powered the USB hubs from an external power supply, the fan in the Optiplex spun down to basically nothing.

As I mentioned, this machine is part of a Proxmox cluster. One of the other machines in the cluster is responsible for audio processing using a Pulseaudio server, Liquidsoap server, and Icecast server.

Software:
Software running on the Optiplex (everything is Debian based):
Software running on the rest of the cluster:

blacks1

My setup
Optiplex 7040m 16gb Ram 250GB Windows 10
Sdrtrunk: 10x Analog VHF channel,
Rdio-scanner - max 4 online user
DSD-Fme Mototrbo channel Basic Privacy via Voxcall

rtl usb: 2x RTL-SDR v3, 1x RTL-SDR v4, SDRplay RSP1A

cpu usage 40-55% WIN
cpu usage 40-45% Linux Mint