harford county programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsontrucker

I have a uniden bcd996t I'm looking to get programmed mainly for harford county police and fire. Some baltimore . Is anyone local willing to clone scanners. I really don't want to send my scanner out to a company to get it programmed. But for 50 bucks I'd be happy to meet up with someone to help me out with this one.

Attachments

• 1410237687338.jpg
    1410237687338.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 142

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well I have bad news and good news. Might as well start with the bad news first...

a. Harford County's trunk rebanded some time ago. What this means for you is that the original firmware of the 996T can't trunk this system. But this can be corrected.

b. Baltimore County's system is VERY fickle - it's set up with a different modulation scheme and towers that separate the system into zones. Not everyone has had much luck monitoring the County system with a clean signal, and in Harford, it's quite possible you are out of range.

In any case, here's a very good explanation of the Baltimore County setup (all links are always blue, by the way)...

Baltimore County (P25) System Information - The RadioReference Wiki

Now for the good news...we have extensive articles in our wiki to help you along. Unfortunately the process of updating the firmware is a royal pain in the arse - but as long as you follow the directions TO THE LETTER you should be fine.

You will also need a USB-serial cable to connect the scanner and PC. We also have a good deal of information on that topic - particularly with regards to Windows 8.x issues - in our wiki. There are several off the shelf models that are known to work

We also have a very good article on how to program your scanner - although it seems like a heckuva lot to handle at first. I would start by getting a USB cable connected up and doing the firmware update. Then someone can send you a file with the data you need. No need to meet someone or pay someone to do it for you (and unlike the RS/GRE scanners, there is freeware available for these scanners).

Anyway here are the links...

Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Don't try to read the Uniden mess of a manual. The Easier to Read guides (which are linked at the bottom of the 2nd article) are a much better way to go.

GL...Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you find this more than a little overwhelming - I wouldn't be surprised - frankly speaking you might be better off selling the 996T and getting a 436HP or 536HP. This would also give you the ability to hear the new statewide system which is being constructed. The 996T is not compatible with the new system - those 2 scanners are.

We have a separate set of Uniden forums where you can learn more. Mike

Last edited:

badlans

Premium Subscriber
Well I have bad news and good news. Might as well start with the bad news first...

a. Harford County's trunk rebanded some time ago. What this means for you is that the original firmware of the 996T can't trunk this system. But this can be corrected.

b. Baltimore County's system is VERY fickle - it's set up with a different modulation scheme and towers that separate the system into zones. Not everyone has had much luck monitoring the County system with a clean signal, and in Harford, it's quite possible you are out of range.

In any case, here's a very good explanation of the Baltimore County setup (all links are always blue, by the way)...

Baltimore County (P25) System Information - The RadioReference Wiki

Now for the good news...we have extensive articles in our wiki to help you along. Unfortunately the process of updating the firmware is a royal pain in the arse - but as long as you follow the directions TO THE LETTER you should be fine.

You will also need a USB-serial cable to connect the scanner and PC. We also have a good deal of information on that topic - particularly with regards to Windows 8.x issues - in our wiki. There are several off the shelf models that are known to work

We also have a very good article on how to program your scanner - although it seems like a heckuva lot to handle at first. I would start by getting a USB cable connected up and doing the firmware update. Then someone can send you a file with the data you need. No need to meet someone or pay someone to do it for you (and unlike the RS/GRE scanners, there is freeware available for these scanners).

Anyway here are the links...

Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Don't try to read the Uniden mess of a manual. The Easier to Read guides (which are linked at the bottom of the 2nd article) are a much better way to go.

GL...Mike
Nice note. Thanks for taking the time and patience to help those of us who find this a little challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.