Harris radio on AWIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Odd that the XG-75 models wouldn't be on the approved list,but old and ELO'd models like the 7200 and 7300 series are.

I'm sure L3HARRIS would like to have buried the 7200's in a special place in hell for all the problems it has given them,since inheriting them, and all the other radio models (prior to the XG series) from the Tyco Electronics acquisition.

Is it because none of the XG-75 models were ever purchased, for use on the system, so they just never ended up on the approved list?

I do not know for sure. It could be that they do not desire the use of Harris so they just haven't included it. Or perhaps a department had purchased some already and requested they review and add those. But, as we see on the list, there is an assortment of Harris radios that are an option so I don't know why some would be left off.

The rest of my information regarding this...particular situation is second or third hand so I hesitate to post it in detail but, suffice it to say, I was told that the word from the division is his isn't legit despite his claims otherwise. The whys and hows have already been covered in the thread.

KG7PBS

That only works if programmed right...and regular programming affiliates as soon as you power it up. And the system admins brick your radio. It's a bigger deal than you're making it out to be. Good luck...

@milf may have even further to say about it as he knows more about the back end of things than I.

Hey I just want to clarify a few things with you. One I don’t know who the guy with the Harris XG-75p is and how he has it set up. But I want you people to know that Harris XG Radios can be programmed to any P-25 System P1 or P2 and to Never affiliate upon power or Talk on the System. There not Like Motorola. There 3 Check box’s in Harris RPM you check and said Radio is 100 % NAS. I know this because I have Dune it on Systems before.

TDR-94

Hey I just want to clarify a few things with you. One I don’t know who the guy with the Harris XG-75p is and how he has it set up. But I want you people to know that Harris XG Radios can be programmed to any P-25 System P1 or P2 and to Never affiliate upon power or Talk on the System. There not Like Motorola. There 3 Check box’s in Harris RPM you check and said Radio is 100 % NAS. I know this because I have Dune it on Systems before.

With a legit version of RPM11 or higher, with the required license key, you can program an L3HARRIS radio for RX only on a P25 trunked system and to not affiliate/register.As long as that version of RPM also has the proper AAC P25 Network license allowed for those P25 trunked systems to be programmed.

There is a difference between a legit, licensed version of RPM/RPM2 and one that isn't.

Any system administrator or any "real" radio shop would have purchased RPM/RPM2 with a required L3HARRIS license key and would have the appropriate AAC license for the P25 trunked systems that they are allowed to program radio personalities for.

Is the version of RPM that you are using a legit version with a license key from L3HARRIS.....?

If this XG-75 is in fact affiliating, and it wasn't authorized to be on the system, then the person who programmed it either used a legit licensed version of RPM/RPM2,which also had the AAC P25 Network license for AWIN, and didn't get permission to program it to affiliate, or they used a non-licensed "illegit" version of RPM and stupidly programmed it to affiliate.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

Right. I think we know that, or at least I do, but he has said it affiliates.

Also, other info I received third hand indicates it is not proper. Some of us are going by more than just what has been said here…

KG7PBS

Right. I think we know that, or at least I do, but he has said it affiliates.

Also, other info I received third hand indicates it is not proper. Some of us are going by more than just what has been said here…

your Right what he is saying is fishy.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
If they turn his radio into a paperweight then they might as well have these live feeds shut down too. That’s more of a hobby killer (according to every top cop of each municipality that goes encrypted references) than some rogue radio with no transmit capabilities.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
If they turn his radio into a paperweight then they might as well have these live feeds shut down too. That’s more of a hobby killer (according to every top cop of each municipality that goes encrypted references) than some rogue radio with no transmit capabilities.

He said it affiliates. Hopefully you understand that’s a big deal and why. It’s a bigger issue than you’re implying. 👍🏻

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
...than some rogue radio with no transmit capabilities.

Failure to understand the technical issues behind this doesn't mean it's not wrong. The radio affiliating with the system, even if it cannot transmit, can cause issues for legit radio users. This is why we so often tell people to just stick with a scanner. But there's those that have to shove their finger in the light socket to prove us all wrong….

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Failure to understand the technical issues behind this doesn't mean it's not wrong. The radio affiliating with the system, even if it cannot transmit, can cause issues for legit radio users. This is why we so often tell people to just stick with a scanner. But there's those that have to shove their finger in the light socket to prove us all wrong….
Correct! Its bad enough that if his unit aff's, it can and will "drag" TG's to every site it aff's with. There are other issues that can arise causing a legitimate user to be bonked with a busy as long as that radio is aff'ed to a site. And troubling if his codeplug is all FDMA TG's and TDMA users need that site. If anyone else keys any of the FDMA ones, the site he is aff'ed too is locked in FDMA until all transmissions clear and it can revert to DDM Standbye. Same for the reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.