Have a question

TimmyB2024

I have a ham radio I’m still planning on getting my amateur radio license if I accidentally press the PTT button without saying anything and without license will i Still be in trouble by the FCC I’m just wondering?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Technically, yes. Will the FCC knock down your door and get you, no. If you keep doing that can an amateur radio operator track down your location and report you to the FCC, yes. Good luck trying to get a license if that happens.

Just study and take the test to at least get your Technician license. If you want to really enjoy HF frequencies, then take the next test which is the General. The tests are plenty easy and then you don't have to worry about the illegality of your actions. Amateur radio is a lot of fun.

TimmyB2024

Technically, yes. Will the FCC knock down your door and get you, no. If you keep doing that can an amateur radio operator track down your location and report you to the FCC, yes. Good luck trying to get a license if that happens.

Just study and take the test to at least get your Technician license. If you want to really enjoy HF frequencies, then take the next test which is the General. The tests are plenty easy and then you don't have to worry about the illegality of your actions. Amateur radio is a lot of fun.
Just wondering what was the no yes no referring to?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Transmitting without a valid license is transmitting without a valid license. Yes, it's a rules violation.

No, the FCC isn't going to knock on your door.

Accidental is one thing. Doing it on purpose is another.

Self control and discipline is part of the hobby, unfortunately many licensed hams never understand that. Until you have your license, your radio should not be programmed to transmit. Easy enough to program them for receive only.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
If you accidently do it once, I doubt the FCC will even notice.
Or anyone else for that matter!
Once you spend some time on the various ham bands you will hear people keying up repeaters without IDing fairly often, "kerchunkers". Also on the HF bands it is common for people to tune up transmitters and such on the air often with high power that do not ID and often interfere momentarily with others on the band "tuner uppers".
There is also a lot of various shenanigans that occur on the HF bands quite often. It is all annoying but the FCC isn't interested in doing much about it these days. Some specific frequencies like 7.200 MHz (on 40 meters) is a real cesspool. It's easy to avoid it. Pretty crazy to listen to at times.
Those sort of things have been going on all the 53 years I have been a ham.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
GMRS or Amateur? No. Business band? No. Aviation, public safety, or military? I would expect the FCC to show up with a search warrant and order of forfeiture.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
When I take my vehicles in for service, I remove the microphones and take them with me. I used to catch car wash people screwing around with my police radio and transmitting unlawfully. Some auto techs will do it as well.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Some radios have a menu option to prevent transmit… Turn it on. ..if not just be careful and, no, no one will come after you unless you intentionally transmit and cause interference.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
When I used to take my company car to the car wash, I would change the channel to a channel that was not used in that area so, if they keyed the radio, no one would here them.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I have a ham radio I’m still planning on getting my amateur radio license if I accidentally press the PTT button without saying anything and without license will i Still be in trouble by the FCC I’m just wondering?
Not to worry. No black helicopters, vans, Tahoes or guys in suits will raid your location. Just try to avoid accidental transmitting. If your radio was monitoring a channel outside the ham bands (like fire or law), that would be mor troublesome, but a one-time glitch won't be noticed.

Your post didn't indicate what kind of a radio you're using or what frequency it was on.

If it was a VHF/UHF handheld or mobile, you can probably program the channels for transmit inhibit/receive only.

TimmyB2024

Not to worry. No black helicopters, vans, Tahoes or guys in suits will raid your location. Just try to avoid accidental transmitting. If your radio was monitoring a channel outside the ham bands (like fire or law), that would be mor troublesome, but a one-time glitch won't be noticed.

Your post didn't indicate what kind of a radio you're using or what frequency it was on.

If it was a VHF/UHF handheld or mobile, you can probably program the channels for transmit inhibit/receive only.
I have a Beofeng K5 plus it’s doesn’t go above 800 and that what my local law enforcement fire and ems are on I can’t listen them only thing I can listen to is the prison in my area airport and other ham radio frequency NOAA and that about it