• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Having Issues TX, but can RX

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadpole207

Hello
I am trying to transmit on 462.650. According to the web, there is no CTCSS codes needed, however when I try to transmit, I get no response.

Can you help me figure out why no one can hear me?
With Freq’s that have no step and CTCSS tones or DCS tones, what could the issue be I have my license, (I’m new) and can’t figure out why people on the net don’t hear me or answer. I am in US-South Carolina.

thanks
Nick

Attachments

• South Carolina Amateur Radio Repeaters 2022-03-22 09-05-47.png
    South Carolina Amateur Radio Repeaters 2022-03-22 09-05-47.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 69

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Horry County 462.550 and 462.650 are both 77.0 Hz pl according to the database... If you click on the frequency, left column, it will open up the details for the repeater.

tadpole207

Thanks. Horry is offline, the correct one is:

Rock Hill, SC
WRMI622
GMRS Repeater ID: 45-307

Downlink:462.650
Uplink:467.650

according to mygmrs, see image attached)

B2WR 650
Name

Rock Hill, SC
WRMI 622
DJT3RBO
Owner

REQUEST ACCESS

Open System
Type

462.650 MHz
Frequency

141.3 Hz
Input Tone

141.3 Hz
Output Tone

Status

34.8 Miles
Range (Estimate)

a month ago
Last Updated

So i set CTCss code for 141.3, did a test and got no response. Any other settings i need to change on the radio?

thanks so much
n

Attachments

• B2WR 650: Rock Hill, SC - myGMRS.com 2022-03-22 09-47-58.png
    B2WR 650: Rock Hill, SC - myGMRS.com 2022-03-22 09-47-58.png
    241.7 KB · Views: 13

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
On "Open" systems use the 141.3 CTCSS tone when you TX to open the repeater. This (141.3) is also referred to as the travel tone. Not all "open" repeaters use that tone, but it is typically used. A further look on mygmrs.com notes that the WRMI622 repeater does use the 141.3 PL tone.

Additionally that page notes: "Update: The repeater is live with limited RX/TX due to the fact that we are waiting for our antenna and tower assaignment. Please note specifications may change as we get closer to a launch date."

Perhaps avoid using Repeaterbook and use mygrms.com. Sign up for an account and have fun.

Okay, you posted just before I did, but did you enter in the CTCSS 141.3 tone for TX or RX? Even if you did enter 141.3 for TX, did you configure the radio to actually send the tone?

Also, just because you can hear (RX) a repeater does not mean you can reach it (TX). The repeater may use 50W where you are using less.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
N. Myrle 179.9
Rock Hill 141.3
York 141.3
Sumter 141.3
Toumey 141.3
Edgefield 123.0
Dillon D125
Chester 136.5

You state " So I set CTCss code for 141.3, did a test and got no response. Any other settings i need to change on the radio? "
Do you mean no repeater tail when you let off the PTT ? or just no one answers your call?

tadpole207

@dcr_inc Do you mean no repeater tail when you let off the PTT-

A. yes, no tail. I have CTCSS set for 141.3. I tried this on 462.600 MHz as well. same. Do i need to set + or - in signal direction? https://mygmrs.com/repeater/1156

@vagrant Okay, you posted just before I did, but did you enter in the CTCSS 141.3 tone for TX or RX? Even if you did enter 141.3 for TX, did you configure the radio to actually send the tone?

A. As fas i know, all i was supposed to do is set the TX CTCSS to 141.3- but i wondered if i am missing a step like the signal direction or offset?
Am i missing something so simple, i just keep overlooking it?

thanks to you both, very much.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
From what I'm gathering, it seems OP might be talking on the 462 outputs/simplex and not the 467 repeater inputs.

tadpole207

thanks. This is what i got sent back from the owner

lease feel free to use the repeater. Make sure you gave your radio set to transmit on the correct frequency and PL Tone. The transmit frequency is 5 Mhz higher than receive. should be a setting in the radio to set the TX offset to +5 mhz.

Going to try offset to +5 and will report back.

tadpole207

so far, this is what i have set:
rx: 141.3
tx:141.3

offset +5

still cannot get return

rx:141.3
+5 offset

cannot get tail.
I am a newbie to HAM and GMRS, have experience in satcom in military- i might be confusing myself so your patience is appreciated. I really want to get this right.

thanks
n

ecps92

set up a time with the repeater owner, to try over the air.
No Tail can be multiple issues, such as you are not close enough to open the repeater, or the tail is so short your radio won't hear it on a ker-chunk
so far, this is what i have set:
rx: 141.3

offset +5

still cannot get return

rx:141.3
+5 offset

cannot get tail.
I am a newbie to HAM and GMRS, have experience in satcom in military- i might be confusing myself so your patience is appreciated. I really want to get this right.

thanks
n

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Read up on your radio manual and ensure it is set to TX the 141.3 tone. Again, you need to set the tone…and ensure the radio is transmitting it. Just because the tone is setup, does not mean it is transmitting it. Also, as previously noted you may be too far away and or do not have enough power.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Where are you in relation to the repeater ? Many folks think repeaters cover large areas. Most do not. Get close to the repeater to start.

Also this repeater is on MyGMRS

Note text at the repeater listing - " Update: The repeater is live with limited RX/TX due to the fact that we are waiting for our antenna and tower assaignment. Please note specifications may change as we get closer to a launch date. Repeater sponsered by www.Buy2wayradios.com "

Sounds to me like it may be a repeater issue and not your programming also.

tadpole207

Thank you all. @chief21 if I set offset as +5, doesn’t that automagically change my Tx freq? Should I rely on that or should I set my tx freq? Does it matter which way you do it? Thx

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The auto offset should change the frequency for you on TX. But, as chief21 points out, there isn't a need to set an RX tone.

Note that some repeaters don't pass on, or transmit a tone, If the one you're trying to access doesn't transmit a tone, then you won't be able to hear it with the 141.3 receive tone set on your radio. Turn it off and see what happens.

Hit_Factor

If the OP could post a screen shot (similar to what I did earlier in this thread), we could answer with what's right and what needs to be changed.

Also, knowing what radio you are using would help tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.