Having trouble with freescan and my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin256

I am currently trying to program a 996p2 using freescan and a laptop to a 996p2 mounted in vehicle

I get thru everything and get an error message cant find port or something like that

Can someone tell me the remedy for this please

Last edited by a moderator:

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a 325 P2 and trying to use freescan to help program my scanner it worked once then I got an error insufficient scanner resources
then I did an auto port scan I got
FreeScan could not Communicate with the scanner, or the scanner is not recognized as being compatible.
the remote control screen shows check com settings.

FreeSCAN software is set to com 7 the same as the first time I used it.
windows 10 device manager shows the scanner is in com 7.

when I plug it into a different USB port it shows it's now in com 10
I clicked on virtual control it worked logged 2 different hits.
when I tried to download the programing in the scanner, freesSCAN gives me an error.
the scanner is not recognized as being compatible or check com port
when I queue systems it works fine. just will not download programming.

I am currently trying to program a 996p2 using freescan and a laptop to a 996p2 mounted in vehicle

I get thru everything and get an error message can't find port or something like that

Can someone tell me the remedy for this, please

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
In the "Virtual Control", "Upload to Scanner", or "Download from Scanner" menu, click on the comm port button then select "Start Auto". FreeScan will find and set up the port for you. Now you can upload.

questnz

A very common problem, usually in Windows settings. I don't have ALL answers but here is my 2 cents input. It may be applied to both issues.
Freescan should work with both scanners but you cannot program DMR settings, you need to program DMR manually or get 30 days free usage of Proscan. Some steps to take. Use Uniden provided Mini USB cable, go to control panel in Windows, and check your Com settings if I recall correctly Freescan needs to be set to Com 1-4, in Advanced settings under Com port you can assign different Com port number. Download Uniden provided Com drivers from Uniden if Microsoft Drivers don't work. Set Com Baud rate to 57600 or even higher. I hope some of the steps will help.

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
As for my problem
when I queue the scanner it detects the programing but will not download to program
so the software is communicating with the 325 p2 using the factory USB cable but will not download or upload

I downloaded Proscan but don't have an idea how to use it

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
As for my problem
when I queue the scanner it detects the programing but will not download to program
so the software is communicating with the 325 p2 using the factory USB cable but will not download or upload

I downloaded Proscan but don't have an idea how to use it
I'm not sure where you're at in the ProScan setup process. Very very basic steps are:
1. Change the scanner type to BCD325P2.
2. Get the serial port to communicate with the scanner.
3. Create a New ProScan database file.
4. Download from the scanner.

questnz

Did you now try Freescan to find Com port as in message 3. It must work both ways, including downloading from RR
For Proscan it is a learning curve as for anything else we use these days. Check Youtube for some videos also Proscan is very active on RR forums, good support. Personally I am using Freescan for 90% of my analog programming and changes. I am new to Proscan I still need to come to grips with programming DMR on 325P2. But I purchased license anyway, good to support people who supporting us. battle on
On Lenovo laptop, Freescan picking up Com port 3 but Proscan picking Com 4, However, I can download via both so it is working including scanner control.

Last edited:

questnz

gee Proscan beat me to it by seconds, fast support indeed.
Consider becoming Premium Subscriber to RR, small contribution even for 6 months. But you will be able to download frequencies in your area,
then play with it forever. If you mess things up just reset scanner and start all over again

Last edited:

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded Proscan but so far I haven't figured out how to download /upload using Proscan
bc tool was so much easier to use LoL

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
yes I read post # 6
Thank you for your help I have pro scan working now it's a learning curve
Free scan keeps crashing on me it will run even read the radio but then it crashes error message says radio not supported
I'm running windows 10
it works on my vista computer and my 396T
I just have to try & get the drivers for 325 p2 for vista if possible
again thanks for the help

I'm not sure where you're at in the ProScan setup process. Very very basic steps are:
1. Change the scanner type to BCD325P2.
2. Get the serial port to communicate with the scanner.
3. Create a New ProScan database file.
4. Download from the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.