HDSDR software for software defined radio, frequeny setting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookline

Hello, i am starting with sdr and use now an sdr key msi-sdr panadapter with the soft HDSDR. I find HDSDR not very easy to use... One of the problems i have is with frequency tuning. For example if i tune to 6 Mhz i have a range from 6040 to 6280 KHz so about 200 KHz. I would like to have a larger frequency range. Does somebody knows if that is possible and if yes how to do that? See herewith the HDSDR window. Thank you.

Attachments

• HDSDR for radioreference.jpg
    HDSDR for radioreference.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 12

spongella

Premium Subscriber
You can adjust by clicking on the "EXT IO" button and increase the sample rate. Higher sampling rates increase the range. A word of caution: on some computers higher sampling rates will cause problems with the audio. I generally use 1.2 -1.44 so try that. HDSDR is a great program, I especially like that large S meter. Hope this helps.

Brookline

hello spongella,
Thank you so much for the information that worked very well! However i can t adjust at 1.2 or 1.4 because i think we don t have the same version. I send a picture showing the extio. In this picture i pasted a case, under IFcontrol, with the decimations value i have. It seems it is as a correction value for the sample rate... But when changing both sample rate and decimation i can see now a larger frequency range.
Decimation is a curious word. I did not know the meaning! So i looked on the web: Decimation comes from the antiquity, at this time in the roman army they killed one person of ten in a section of soldiers who refused to fight or to obey!!!
In digital signal processing, downsampling, compression, and decimation are terms associated with the process of resampling in a multi-rate digital signal processing system. Both downsampling and decimation can be synonymous with compression, or they can describe an entire process of bandwidth reduction .
Thank you again.

Attachments

• HDSDR 2 76 ext io.jpg
    HDSDR 2 76 ext io.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 15

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Brook, I use HDSDR with a SDR dongle so it may be a different. Attached is what my HDSDR dashboard looks like. Glad you got a wider range.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 15

Brookline

Brook, I use HDSDR with a SDR dongle so it may be a different. Attached is what my HDSDR dashboard looks like. Glad you got a wider range.
Sorry i do not understand very well your last post. you say you use a sdr dongle. I use a sdr key also. The one i have is an MSI sdr panadater (low cost!), picture herewith. i do not think it is possible to use hdsdr without sdr key?
but i have seen on your hdsdr panel picture you have version 2 70, the one i have is 2 76. Probably there are also several versions for the extIO and it is probably the reason we do not have the same parameters...
But now i improved the frequency settings due to your information. However i think i have a problem with my sdr key. I have it since two weeks and can hear only a few strong stations. without antenna connected there is a very high noise level: 9+10... I plan to buy a nooelec ham it plus (key with converter) but i would like to know what is wrong with the msi sdr key.
But for this i will open a new post. Thank you again

Attachments

• msi sdr panadapter.jpg
    msi sdr panadapter.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 6

slicerwizard

However i think i have a problem with my sdr key. I have it since two weeks and can hear only a few strong stations. without antenna connected there is a very high noise level: 9+10... I plan to buy a nooelec ham it plus (key with converter) but i would like to know what is wrong with the msi sdr key.
Well, it's an unauthorized cheap ripoff of the SDRPlay RSP1. Who knows what shortcuts/defects it contains.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Brookline,
If you do purchase a new dongle, buy from Nooelec or get the RTL-SDR.com dongle version 3. The latter is available on Amazon. Nooelec has excellent customer service. Read up on Software Defined Radio at: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.