Heathkit

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE5JL

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 4, 2003
Messages
364
Reaction score
61
Location
Saskatchewan VE5 Land
Hey, thanks for the memories.. I found the two Heathkit radios that I bough back in the 70's in the catalogs.
No worries, that's what the site is for. My father built many kits and fixed a lot of radios / TVs etc back in the day.

I'll be adding more. !!

73
 

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
3,114
Reaction score
2,393
Location
Severn, Maryland, USA
Hi @VE5JL and Happy Thanksgiving!

I still have my (mostly) complete Heathkit SB-102 station and accessories that I built in early 1974, 50 years ago. I also have various pieces of test equipment that I built in late 1973 that I used to test out the SB-102 station. I did all of that before I got my ham license in mid 1974 just so I could learn Morse Code. Ahhh, those were the days! I have a few old Heathkit catalogs too. I’ll have to dig them out.

73 my friend, Dave K4EET
 

smason

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
1,188
Reaction score
198
Location
Alberta Canada, Eh!
My father had an old Heathkit multimeter, I got a lot of use out of it. I wish I knew what happened to it.
Also a GR-54 SW receiver. Man, he spent hours listening to that.
 

KK4JUG

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 13, 2014
Messages
4,687
Reaction score
3,482
Location
GA
About 50 years ago, I made a depth finder from Heathkit. It had a metal case and used two 6v lantern batteries. It weighed a ton but it worked.
 

KR8MR

Member
Joined
May 29, 2016
Messages
65
Reaction score
29
Location
MI
Good day all, Happy Thanksgiving. If you have or love Heathkit, I have a website that's dedicated to their catalogs.

I added a new Heathkit catalog 1984 Jan / Winter - Flipping Book style.

Have a look at the prices for some of the computer items lol...

Thank you and 73

Joe
Thank you I found the Ad for the little one I built in 1967.
 

KR8MR

Member
Joined
May 29, 2016
Messages
65
Reaction score
29
Location
MI
Actually I remember opening up a Heathkit GR-81 at Christmas. It was THE only thing I got that year. I must've been like 11yrs. old. Then I sat and watched as my three younger siblings opened up all kinds of stuff. Mom pulled me aside in the kitchen I was the oldest and Santa wasn't in the picture anymore. And she said as I remember 'ya know that radio was $25.00' and it was all Dad gave me to spend on each of you .. So in YOUR catalog I just now found it on page #93. It was $23.50 (1967) and is billed as the lowest cost SW radio Heath had. So if I told some one that today they would think my parents were being cheap. Right? $23.50 and just one present? Well I sorta felt that way too. BUT if you consult the charts if you can believe the US Dept of Labor... Inflation puts that at around $211.00 in 2024 dollars. Its probably worse than that. The article on inflation shows that the US Dollar has lost 89% of its value since 1967. But still I wish 'Santa' had gotten me a superhet with a BFO. I guess I'm spoiled.
I still have the radio and it works.

REF: U.S. Inflation Calculator: 1635→2024, Department of Labor data
 

Attachments

  • Heath_SW_Radio.JPG
    Heath_SW_Radio.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

VE5JL

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 4, 2003
Messages
364
Reaction score
61
Location
Saskatchewan VE5 Land
Actually I remember opening up a Heathkit GR-81 at Christmas. It was THE only thing I got that year. I must've been like 11yrs. old. Then I sat and watched as my three younger siblings opened up all kinds of stuff. Mom pulled me aside in the kitchen I was the oldest and Santa wasn't in the picture anymore. And she said as I remember 'ya know that radio was $25.00' and it was all Dad gave me to spend on each of you .. So in YOUR catalog I just now found it on page #93. It was $23.50 (1967) and is billed as the lowest cost SW radio Heath had. So if I told some one that today they would think my parents were being cheap. Right? $23.50 and just one present? Well I sorta felt that way too. BUT if you consult the charts if you can believe the US Dept of Labor... Inflation puts that at around $211.00 in 2024 dollars. Its probably worse than that. The article on inflation shows that the US Dollar has lost 89% of its value since 1967. But still I wish 'Santa' had gotten me a superhet with a BFO. I guess I'm spoiled.
I still have the radio and it works.

REF: U.S. Inflation Calculator: 1635→2024, Department of Labor data
My father was more into electronic repair. It would have been neat if he was into SWL / Ham back then. I didn't get into that until a little later.

73 Joe
 

SuperFlyEDSguy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 25, 2023
Messages
46
Reaction score
35
Location
Tampa, Florida
Good day all, Happy Thanksgiving. If you have or love Heathkit, I have a website that's dedicated to their catalogs.

I added a new Heathkit catalog 1984 Jan / Winter - Flipping Book style.

Have a look at the prices for some of the computer items lol...

Thank you and 73

Joe
Awesome! That makes me very nostalgic! In case you or anyone else is interested, I occasionally spot some Heathkit gear on Mercari.com from time-to-time. Most of those items are priced decently, but like anywhere else it varies. I’ve also picked up a couple of Elenco power supplies on there since I find it a good learning experience to refurbish them and upgrade them with different features, e.g. digital displays, wirewound pots, better current control, etc. I get a kick out of finding old gear and making it like new or even better than new if able. I’m still in awe every time I see the lack of a modern PCB in many Heathkit projects from back in the day and am amazed just how far we’ve come! ~73
 

merlin

Active Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2003
Messages
4,056
Reaction score
1,871
Location
DN32su
And happy Thanksgiving to you and thanks for the Heath link.
Heathkit and I go back before the 70s, rings a lot of bells.
 

VE5JL

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 4, 2003
Messages
364
Reaction score
61
Location
Saskatchewan VE5 Land
Thank you! My father had a bench full of kits he built to help fix electronics for his family and friends. I'm very happy other people feel the same way about Heathkit.

Happy Thanksgiving and 73.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top