Helical

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

I made this today because my room Is big enough for a indoor short wire and am not able get outside it has to be grounded to work better than just a short wire ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407807373.845646.jpg

nanZor

I like it!

Is the entire tube helically wound, or just the black part that looks kind of like an inductor coil wound about 2/3 of the way up the pvc?

In either case, you can add additional capacitive or "top hat" loading, but in a room a "hat" is hard to do.

In this case, I would run a wire horizontally across the top, perhaps just along the rod that support(ed) the blinds, and in the middle of that wire, attach it to the top of your small vertical. Mechanically it just looks like two wires attached to the top of the vertical, each one running directly opposite and horizontally from each other for a few feet or two.

Adding capacitive reactance like this to the top of any vertical, especially one with a lot of coil inductance, helps.

hfflunki

Hertzian actually it's a single wire coiled a 1/2" dowel and a wire solders to the ground on the plug tipped with solder for connection to a ground ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408189167.602585.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408189189.950121.jpgwhen possible I tried conecting one end to g and one to live but ther isn't enough gain as far as length of coil I used around 50 ft most are 100' of wire

hfflunki

Well been testing it on swbcb using a 909x works very well picked up all the main religious station as well as rhc and a few I couldent tell what laungege that was being spoken on 49m didn't get at it till 1utc and checked the main pirate freqs just below 40 m and haven't been able to get them picked up some Cw and ham activity will give radio Australia a try in the morning

nanZor

Nice! Good ol' Arne and the broomstick.

Unfortunately what one ends up with when there is no spacing is more or less a high-resistance emulation of just a small piece of tubing, overloaded with too much inductance usually, unless one is trying for 160m or so.

You are on the right track though. How about the following for some ideas on improvements, like centering up at about 14mhz? :

A Two Dollar Helical HF Portable Antenna

Even though cut for an amateur band, a few more or few less turns can put this onto 13m or 16m easily, and be a general purpose vertical template for other bands - like using FAR less or FAR more turns to get to the bands you want.

The pics at the bottom are very good. Use pvc instead of wood doweling to cut down on loss. Space the wires. You could even use what you have now either adding or removing turns as you wish. Make the "stinger" longer or smaller. If you have to bend the stinger indoors, so be it. Or put a top-load wire on top of the stinger.

Food for thought anyway... but good work so far!

Last edited by a moderator:

hfflunki

Thanks I know PVC and spacing can work better but am in limited space and need a lot of gain I've started construction on a module that has a RCA out and banana post for ground and have purchased a home brew antenna amplifier that was 25 bucks on e eBay I plann on mounting it all on the platform this is the ampImageUploadedByTapatalk1408437842.891140.jpg I'm going to add a metal battery holder for the 9volt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hfflunki

Looks good but I need somthing smaller than 5 feet I realize this antenna will be noisy that's why I added a ground and I will probably use a magnetic loop if I'm ever able to get outside

hfflunki

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408834592.786794.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408834618.969843.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1408834646.787908.jpgwell this is it woks great from 31metters up and alittle noisy on down to 49meeters anything lower is noise I added a spot to connect the short wire addition wich helps the lower frequencys and each antenna is grounded on separate circuits don't ask me how it's done I just came up with a simpe desieghn and my freain added some stuff when he solders it up still got the amp coming it will sit at right angle that's what the battery holders for

Status
Not open for further replies.