help for newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

mviator

Premium Subscriber
recently purchased pro-197 for my wife for christmas. don't know much but i did purchase a subscription to RR and downloaded arc500 software. i have downloaded the frequencies from RR and put them in the scanner via the program. i can see that they are there and being scanned,but it seems as though we are only getting the ambulance and fire department(which are in the 154 mHz category). the local sherriffs office has gone to trunking(i think, 800 frequencies)but we are not getting any of their messages on the scanner. the area and frequencies are for iberia parish in louisiana. just don't know if i need to do anything special or just missing something.any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
marcus

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
recently purchased pro-197 for my wife for christmas. don't know much but i did purchase a subscription to RR and downloaded arc500 software. i have downloaded the frequencies from RR and put them in the scanner via the program. i can see that they are there and being scanned,but it seems as though we are only getting the ambulance and fire department(which are in the 154 mHz category). the local sherriffs office has gone to trunking(i think, 800 frequencies)but we are not getting any of their messages on the scanner. the area and frequencies are for iberia parish in louisiana. just don't know if i need to do anything special or just missing something.any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
marcus
Welcome to Radio Reference, Marcus

You may want to check with someone down in the Louisiana Forum to confirm this, but it appears that the Sheriff, and several other agencies in your county, are on the statewide trunked system, LWIN:
Louisiana Wireless Information Network (LWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Louisiana - Scanner Frequencies

Use trunked system import and access that system. You'll need to import the tower for your county, Jeanerette, plus the talkgroups for the agencies of interest.You might also look at the database page for the system & see if anything in the counties around you is of interest as well.

mviator

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the info, steve. i did as you said and it worked! the only other thing i had a question on was, now some of the received messages we get are garbled. they sound as if they are scrambled. would this be a type of encryption?
thanks again for the info.
marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.