• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help!!! Info on SABER III and Systems SABER III (DES-XL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ASQ

:confused:
I need some info on my 2 newest radios, Motorola SABER III and Systems SABER III.
Any and all is very much appreciated and any websites with more info too please and thanks! I have the VHF Service Manual coming as well.:roll:

KE4ASQ

Any info as to how can you program without software??

10-95 said:
What kind of info do you need?? I've been into the Saber/Systems Saber/Astro Saber series for 15 years.

check out www.batlabs.com

I would like to know what I can do to program it without software, Can you erase memories without software?? Did they ever fix software to be used with a newer computer?? I went to www.batlabs.com and www.repeater-builder.com and I am learning some stuff about the radio, But I would like to know as much as I can until I get my SABER books here and then I still would like to know more about these SABER/Systems SABER

10-95

You can only program the radio with the RSS and it has to be used on a slower computer,I use an IBM thinkpad 486 which is the recommended platform for the older DOS based RSS. You may be able to get it to run on a faster computer but you should always run it in a real dos enviornment or you stand a good chance of codeplug corrution during read/write.

KE4ASQ

Thanks So Much For Your Assistance

10-95 said:
You can only program the radio with the RSS and it has to be used on a slower computer,I use an IBM thinkpad 486 which is the recommended platform for the older DOS based RSS. You may be able to get it to run on a faster computer but you should always run it in a real dos enviornment or you stand a good chance of codeplug corrution during read/write.

In others words, It might become a $300 Brick paperweight! Laughs. Thanks for your help, Sir.

JnglMassiv

Mustn't forget to budget cash for the RIB and cables, too.
I second the Astro Saber recommendation. AS2 & 3's have really come down in price lately. These make awesome scanners, too. I've listening to Chicago Police right now.

If you like, I could program a zone of channels for you Saber/SysSaber. I remember when I first got into Mot radios, I bought a Saber that sat uselessly for a few months while I gathered up the cables RIB and RSS. Just pay shipping.

KE4ASQ

JnglMassiv said:
Mustn't forget to budget cash for the RIB and cables, too.
I second the Astro Saber recommendation. AS2 & 3's have really come down in price lately. These make awesome scanners, too. I've listening to Chicago Police right now.

If you like, I could program a zone of channels for you Saber/SysSaber. I remember when I first got into Mot radios, I bought a Saber that sat uselessly for a few months while I gathered up the cables RIB and RSS. Just pay shipping.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer and I might take you up on it too. I am waiting on Moto to call back with authorization for the Systems SABER III RSS and I do have the "toys" coming for the radios also. (RIB and cables and manuals).

KE4ASQ

KE4NYV said:
Find yourself an ASTRO Saber III (preferably P25/IMBE) and you can use the Windows ASTRO Saber software.

Astro SABER III okay and where do I get the RSS from Motorola also ?? I will look into it most definitly as I didnt realize the in-depth nature of SABER/SysSABER III.:lol:

KE4ASQ

I am finally registered with Moto!!! WHOAAA!!!

Hey,
I thank all of y'all for the help and I have acuired an Astro SABER as well, I also registered and licensed to buy my RSS (Finally) Many and much thanks to the lovely ladies at Hello Moto for all their assistance, I will be able to get online and order my software as of Friday (Fingers Crossed!!). I have invetsed so much time and GLOBS of money in this radios, That maybe I should become a SABER Tech !!! Laughs :D

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
KE4ASQ said:
I have invetsed so much time and GLOBS of money in this radios, That maybe I should become a SABER Tech !!!

Not yet. Now you need to go to the batboard and read, re-read, and read some more of the saber info on there. Then you'll have a better understanding of what's involved.

For starters, you should think of the Saber, Systems Saber, and the Astro Saber as three different radios that share some common parts. The biggest hurdle is the different software needed.

KE4ASQ

Thanks, Grog

Grog said:
Not yet. Now you need to go to the batboard and read, re-read, and read some more of the saber info on there. Then you'll have a better understanding of what's involved.

For starters, you should think of the Saber, Systems Saber, and the Astro Saber as three different radios that share some common parts. The biggest hurdle is the different software needed.

Yeah I have been and it seems like everytime I read something new, Laughs.
I have recieved my Service Manual and my Astro SABER Instruction manual and Am awaiting my Systems SABER Instruction and Theory/Maintenence Manual.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have quite a few things on PDF if you need anything else. I also have the RSS guide for the Saber (just the guide :wink: )

KE4ASQ

Thanks

Grog said:
I have quite a few things on PDF if you need anything else. I also have the RSS guide for the Saber (just the guide :wink: )

I appreciate that Grog and I will let you know, I am having fun learning about these radios and they have far more features then Normal Ham radios do! I want to learn more about the DES-XL Encryption. :eek:

Astro25

They're great radios indeed. I've owned and used regualr Sabers, sys. Sabers, and Astro Sabers - all great radios. Can't beat 'em. If you've got a Keyloader, or know someone who does, you can talk XL sexy, too! :)

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
lelocle said:
I just purchased a System Saber and need someone to program same. I live in the Myrtle Beach, SC area and have had no luck with the local shops in this area.
Please do not hijack threads and cross-post.

lelocle

Help!!! Info on SABER III and Systems SABER III

Sorry, based on the above info I thought that I was in the right forum.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.