Help locating broadband RFI source in North Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Definitely aware of an SDR dongle's tendency to overload and show what looks like a repeating signal/RFI across a chunk of spectrum (Like my AirSpy was doing with my golf cart's speed controller on my RFI patrol cruise around the neighborhood). I would have brought the Kenwood TS-890S Superhet but it's 34lbs and kinda $$$. :)

You could add something like this. In the 70's Kenwood and others made outboard band pass preselectors you can still find on ebay that would complement an SDR.

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
This noise is back. I've been off the air for a few months as my wife and I just had a baby. But it's back stronger than ever, same RFI characteristics. If the owner of the house isn't going to cooperate with me, what else can I do? My ultimate plan is to move to the sticks and hopefully enjoy relative RF silence, but that's still a few years away. Regardless of the noise source coming from something illegal (like a grow light for a marijuana grow op) or just some misbehaving electronics in his house, the RFI is illegal, right? What other resources can I lean on to get the homeowner to take this seriously?

RFI-EMI-GUY

This noise is back. I've been off the air for a few months as my wife and I just had a baby. But it's back stronger than ever, same RFI characteristics. If the owner of the house isn't going to cooperate with me, what else can I do? My ultimate plan is to move to the sticks and hopefully enjoy relative RF silence, but that's still a few years away. Regardless of the noise source coming from something illegal (like a grow light for a marijuana grow op) or just some misbehaving electronics in his house, the RFI is illegal, right? What other resources can I lean on to get the homeowner to take this seriously?

If you can demonstrate that it interferes with licensed radio communications the FCC may be interested in contacting the owners. Perhaps your enjoyment of talk radio or music from the comfort of your automobile is wrecked by this interference. How about the local police? If there radios black out near that house, the FCC will show great interest.

You might drop a friendly note on the door of the house and ask if you can show them the problem. If they have a grow house you probably wont hear from them. Then your second note mentioning the FCC might spur them to fix it.

wb6uqa

Get a portable SW receiver with a attenuator and a small directional loop pvc and wire. T Hunt. Mfj sells a portable noise receiver with a 3 element yagi for noise

Status
Not open for further replies.