Help me scan MontCo with my new SDS 100

FoleyF

Premium Subscriber
Hello gang-

I’ve been out of the scanner game for a few years now, but just picked up a new SDS 100 and looking forward to getting back into it. I’m in no way an expert so looking for any advice for Montgomery County. I’m in the KOP area.

I know that the police are encrypted but still should be able to hear fire. Any advice would be appreciated. Am I supposed to load the entire P25 system in order to hear fire?

I picked up the DMR upgrade from Uniden and have successfully installed that and loaded the frequencies from the Digital Frequency Search database…..this has opened up a lot of new frequencies!

I’m using Sentinel software for programming and have the full RR membership.

Any tips would be appreciated and as always, Thank You!

If anybody is in the area and would like to have a meetup or exchange frequencies and tips please let me know and I will coordinate.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you will want the entire p25 system to hear fire/EMS and other non encrypted talk groups on the county system

tvengr

Well Known Member
Any tips would be appreciated and as always, Thank You!
Give this favorites list file for the Montgomery County trunked system a try. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Go to the File tab in Sentinel and click on Import from hpe file (Favorites List). Click on New Favorites List and name it: Montgomery Co PA Click on OK. In the Downloads folder, open the extracted file (Montgomery Co PA.hpe). It will appear as a favorites list in Sentinel. Set squelch to 2.

Attachments

• Montgomery Co PA Fav.zip
    1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

FoleyF

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your kind responses and for the favorites list for MontCo. I’m going to load it up and report back very soon! Appreciate it!

FoleyF

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again for sending the MontCo zip file, I have loaded it to my SDS100 and it is working perfectly. I have a question though.....I tried to reverse engineer your list and see that you gave me all of the frequencies that are on the P25 system that are not encrypted. I can see that through the "mode tag" in the RR database. However in Sentinel, I cannot see the mode tag to determine what and what is not encrypted. Do you have to toggle back and forth between RR and Sentinel to add in the non encrypted frequencies?

Thanks!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Frequencies aren't encrypted, talkgroups are. if I were you I'd delete the "Law Enforcement" and "Hospitals" departments entirely as all talkgroups here are fully encrypted (mode "TE"). Be sure the scanner is set to ID Scan instead of ID Search or the scanner will still chirp with the encrypted talkgroups even if they're not programmed into the FL