Help me understand what I'm hearing in Floydada/Lubbock

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtxradio

I noticed a strange (to me) signal on 173.2625 MHz in downtown Floydada recently, and heard something similar on the same frequency in downtown Lubbock a few days ago. Please help me understand what I'm hearing.

In Floydada, I am hearing sheriff's office traffic in analog — FCSO uses a digital system — along with a short beep every 10 seconds. I can only hear this a few blocks radius around the SO; it's a very weak signal.

I heard the same 10-second-increment beeping in downtown Lubbock on the same frequency the other day (but didn't hear any traffic). Also a weak signal.

The thing that boggles me is that 173.2625 is not listed on any license in Floyd County.

I'm sure this is some super common thing, but I haven't come across it before and I'm stumped. Anyone know what this is for?

Thanks

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Maybe a vehicular repeater being used for in-building coverage?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Or they actually have vehicular repeaters in their cars and being close to the SO you had a better chance of hearing one.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I really don't know but the beep every 10 seconds makes me think it sounds like a patch from another channel to that frequency in the federal band. A lot of times, whether it's on a conventional frequency or a TRS, you'll hear a beep every 10 seconds or so when a channel is patched in or patched to another channel.

Brian
COMMSCAN

nd5y

Somebody is probably using some illegal unlicensed vehicular repeaters. If you search 136-174 MHz you might find more. That went on in Mineral Wells when I lived there about 12 or so years ago. Some where on federal and marine frequencies. I never figured it out and then they disappeared.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Too bad that they do not include a page with 'satisfied users', which might be a clue if someone in the Panhandle was using their product. They have a few testimonials from customers, but none in Texas that I saw.

May be a reason for that. :ROFLMAO:

wtxradio

Or they actually have vehicular repeaters in their cars and being close to the SO you had a better chance of hearing one.
This is my thought. Do the vehicular repeaters continue to operate when the vehicle is off?

wtxradio

That nails it down to a simplex vehicular repeater. They have to drop the carrier like that so the repeater can always hear the hand held.
Okay that makes total sense. Mystery solved, I think. Thanks a ton!

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but those are supposed to be los ended, right? Shouldn’t they appear on the same license with the rest of the system?

nd5y

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but those are supposed to be los ended, right? Shouldn’t they appear on the same license with the rest of the system?
It depends. Sometimes they have a separate license. Are you sure it was 173.2625? The only MO3 on that frequency I could find was in East TX.

Maybe somebody in one of these counties decided to change to a frequency they aren't licensed to use and went to Lubbock or Floydada.

Maybe it was somebody traveling from another area.
Maybe it was illegal unlicensed operation.

wtxradio

It depends. Sometimes they have a separate license. Are you sure it was 173.2625? The only MO3 on that frequency I could find was in East TX.

Maybe somebody in one of these counties decided to change to a frequency they aren't licensed to use and went to Lubbock or Floydada.

It's for sure that frequency, and for sure Floyd Co. SO traffic. And I can hear it most days.

I'm not terribly concerned about it... just glad to know what I'm hearing!

ecps92

Might be a LOANER on a DEMO license, only time will tell in the long run

twobytwo

I went driving in downtown Lubbock about 9 oclock Thursday night and did not receive anything. I drove around the Sheriffs office about 3 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.