Help Program a BCT15

Status
Not open for further replies.

tksanders3

I know you guys must see about 50 of these threads every day, but I could use some help programming my Uniden BCT15. I'm not new to scanning. I've got all my conventional channels programed in, but when it comes to Trunked systems i'm at a loss. I'm trying to figure out how to program the frequencies for the Arkansas State Police Troop "I" the reference page for the AWINs system is here

Arkansas Wireless Information Network (AWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

even if a step by step is not possible. I would appriciate just a general explanation of what is going on in this system, cause i just HATE not knowing how things work. haha.

Thanks in advance
T

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I know you guys must see about 50 of these threads every day, but I could use some help programming my Uniden BCT15. I'm not new to scanning. I've got all my conventional channels programed in, but when it comes to Trunked systems i'm at a loss. I'm trying to figure out how to program the frequencies for the Arkansas State Police Troop "I" the reference page for the AWINs system is here

Arkansas Wireless Information Network (AWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

even if a step by step is not possible. I would appriciate just a general explanation of what is going on in this system, cause i just HATE not knowing how things work. haha.

Thanks in advance
T
T,
Unfortunately, the BCT15 is not going to work for the AWIN system. That is a digital system. Looking at the database page for it, take a peek at the line for system type: Project 25 Phase I
And under system voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Both of those entries refer to a fully digital system. Also note that all the talkgroups are tagged with a "D" in the mode column. That also indicates digital.

While the BCT15 is an excellent scanner, it is analog only. To monitor the digital systems, like AWIN, or LWIN in Louisiana, you'd need a digital scanner. The comparable Uniden models would be the BCD996T (discontinued, but still found at a few dealers, in the classifieds here, or on other lists, like eBay), or the current model, the BCD996XT. Other models would include the PSR600 (the Radio Shack Pro-197 is the same scanner, with a Radio Shack label; both are made by GRE), or the discontinued Pro-2096. The 2096, if found for a really good price, would work for most all of the system. It would not work for a few of the sites that use 700mhz frequencies. (For that reason, it would not work for much of Louisiana's LWIN system, since many of it's sites use 700mhz frequencies.) All the scanners I've listed are base/mobile, like your BCT15. For compatible digital handhelds: Uniden BCD396T (like the 996T, discontinued, but still available), & BCD396XT, the current model; the GRE manufactured PSR500 (Radio Shack labeled version is the Pro-106); the discontinued Pro-96, which has the same limitations as the Pro-2096 regarding 700mhz trunking.

While this still won't help you with AWIN & Troop I, the "Easier to Read" manual may help walk you through some of the programming for systems that your scanner will receive. Software, like FreeScan, also makes it easier, in that you can see all the entries for a system, whether trunked or conventional, on the pc screen, rather than only one piece of the puzzle at a time navigating through menus on the scanner itself. (You did not indicate whether or not you're using software. FreeScan's user guide is hosted in the Wiki here on RadioReference.)

tksanders3

Wow thanks. That is one of the best answers i've ever gotten for just about any question i've ever asked. and it certainly explains why i'm having so much trouble programming my scanner to scan a system it wont scan. haha. sounds like i'm going to have to invest in a new scanner. I thank you for your time and knowlege and your explanation. I greatly appriciate it.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.