Help Programming Pro 106 for CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose26

Premium Subscriber
Received Pro106 scanner for Christmas. I have had scanners for years but programming this scanner I am not so sure about it. Some of this is Greek to me.

Is it better to program using Conventional and favorite. I only want short scanning going on so I do not miss much. Right now on my Pro 89 I am using 5 Channels of 20 for all the local areas I am interested in. I have not programmed SP because trying to get current info. I would like to set up SP Talkgroup but only with local troops, and can you shut that off if you want to.

I have always set up my scan lists by City with police, fire and EMS and only the cities/towns in my general area (lower Naugatuck Valley). With this scanner should I set up the same way or by Police, fire, Ems, etc, labeling each as Dby Police, Bethany fire, etc. I like that you can name them and color code. That helps with quick recognition who it is quickly talking. When something is going on in one area, on the old scanners I could shut off banks I did not want to hear. How can you program the 106 for quick listening to your favorite, to listen for what is happening.

I will be trying to load CT V-Scanner folder and save it later today. I have printed off the list of New Haven and Fairfield Counties.

Do most of you download other software to your computer to use and which one is best, RR, Win 500?
Thanks for any help you can give me so I can program this scanner correctly
Carol

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Go with win500...no bugs and it's cheaper and easier to use. You're a premium subscriber, so you can download into the software. Going from a scanner with banks and channels to the object oriented scanner takes some getting used to, but it's actually better. I have a Pro-106 and 2 Pro 197's and love all three of them. I actually have CSP set up in one V Scanner for my trips out to Newington, with East in one Scan List, Central in another, West in the third and Statewide in the fourth. The programming arrangements are limitless, and there is no space wasted with empty channels. Hope I pointed you in the right direction!

moose26

Premium Subscriber
N2MWE and Steve -Thank you both for responding. I have thought about getting the Win 500. I really do need something simple. You would think I never programmed scanners before. This Winn 500 would cut the time individually programming each one. Do you still have to go through the list to change any of the programming features like you do when you individually program a frequency?
On one of the Iin 500 pages it says " You may also encounter a pop-up indicating a corrupted .dll file. Please go to Starrsoft.com for instructions and updates. You may have to download .NET Framework 1.1 from Microsoft. There is a link on the Starrsoft Web site." Do I need to worry about that?
I downloaded the # 20 -V Scanner on the scanner for my location and saved in 00 and I think that was a mistake.

I programmed 2 local police as conventional items on Scan list #1 to try them out. I discovered that all of the v-scanner Talkgroups were on channel 1 also. I am now trying to figure out how to delete all that info and start all over. From the 2 police I have programmed, I like this scanner already hope to get all my frequencies programmed into it soon. After reading the Win 500 info, i chuckled because I have received that "nothing enabled" when I tried to put channel 1 to scan. I have the programming cable.
Carol

moose26

Premium Subscriber
Need more help

How do I get rid of the V-channel on scan list 1 and how can I tell if this list is on some of the other lists.
I have programmed 2 local channels on scan list 2, and do not want to program anymore until I get rid of this v-channel. It keeps showing that they are scanning..Anybody in the lower Naugatuck Valley area that can help me to get going on this and programming this scanner right, Thanks for any help
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.