Help programming RS Pro-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizi

Can someone please give me steps to program my Pro-164 to receive Glendale, CA police and fire frequencies? I can't figure this out, it's all completely new to me. Please, I don't want to invest in a PC cable and software, as all I want to hear are the local police and fire channels. That is alot to pay just to setup my scanner for these few channels. Any help is very much appreciated.

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
According to this info you will need a digital scanner capable of decoding APCO P25 digital audio to receive all the non-encrypted stuff. Not all the agencies will use digital audio but some will and the police will probably encrypt all but the main dispatch channels.

Since the ICIS system is a Motorola type trunked system you will need to enter the listed control channel frequencies and the desired talkgroups. Not being familiar with the county and how agencies are named in California, I can't really help you there.

For the analog stuff you may still be able to track the system but when they use a P25 digital talkgroup all you'll hear (if anything) is a buzzing noise.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-164 programming

Can someone please give me steps to program my Pro-164 to receive Glendale, CA police and fire frequencies? I can't figure this out, it's all completely new to me.
You'll find the information for Glendale and the system they are using here. This is a trunked radio system. You can use the PRO-164 to monitor most of Glendale, as I have used my PSR-300 when in the area. But some channels, such as police tac are digital.

Please, I don't want to invest in a PC cable and software, as all I want to hear are the local police and fire channels. That is alot to pay just to setup my scanner for these few channels.
Firstly, this system has not yet rebanded, so it is "possible" to program the scanner by hand. WHEN they reband, you WILL need software to make the necessary changes.

Secondly, it is a lot of keypresses to enter such a system and not easy when done manually. I can program these scanners manually very well and this is more than I'd care to do; especially when it comes to entering band plans. But if you'd like to give it a try, here is a link to the Wiki. You'll find a link to the manual (in PDF) on that scanner there.

If you plan to use this scanner it is virtually required that you have the software to program it or rely on someone else to do the programming for you. If you want a scanner in which you don't have to program it per se, there are models that work more like MP3 players with less of a technical interface.

Dizi

Thanks for the helps guys. I really appreciate it.

I returned the PRO-164 and picked up a PRO-106, PC cable and RR sub. Got it all set up with Win500.

Cheers!

rwier

Good choice! I have my GRE-500 (a cousin or brother) at bedside duty 24/7. Can't sleep if I don't know what's up, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.