Help to design a multiband antenna for 80m, 70m, 60m, 50m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 15m and 10m.

CarlSmith

Hello everybody.

My school work is to design a multiband antenna that covers the 80m, 70m, 60m, 50m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 15m and 10m bands.

I have questions and I hope someone can help me with advice and suggestions, especially about the type of antenna.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hello and welcome to RR, have you reached out to a local ham radio club to see if they could be of any assistance?

merlin

Welcom to RR.
Run this same question in Youtube search. There are far too many results of various antenna designs to list.
Maybe find a copy of ARRLs antenna book
prcguy suggests using moddling software and getting to know it, I can't agree more.

ArloG

Although I can't disagree with modeling software. The end product always needs tweaking to work properly.
We are over 120 years into different antenna designs. Less for VHF and way less for microwave.
In the heyday of ham radio and SWL, a lot of time just a random piece of wire strung to a tree with boatanchor would give infinite nights of dial spinning. I was one of those. Still am. It's just that most of the old familiar interval music is gone now.
Ham bands weren't just stabbed out there. That's why you can use one antenna that resonates over most if not all of the bands.
That's my view of the whole situation.
Fan Dipole and call it a day. Learn how to use a nanovna at the least and tweak away.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Although I can't disagree with modeling software. The end product always needs tweaking to work properly.
We are over 120 years into different antenna designs. Less for VHF and way less for microwave.
In the heyday of ham radio and SWL, a lot of time just a random piece of wire strung to a tree with boatanchor would give infinite nights of dial spinning. I was one of those. Still am. It's just that most of the old familiar interval music is gone now.
Ham bands weren't just stabbed out there. That's why you can use one antenna that resonates over most if not all of the bands.
That's my view of the whole situation.
Fan Dipole and call it a day. Learn how to use a nanovna at the least and tweak away.
In my opinion all the bands mentioned are too close together for a fan dipole and there would be way too much interaction between all the elements. I think it would need to be a hybrid and also take advantage of third harmonics where elements for one band like 40m will also resonate and give a good match on15m, etc. It would also be nice to shorten it some as a full size 80m dipole is about 135 ft long.