Help understanding Fire dispatch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5HOB

I was listening to the fire dispatch here in houston, 453.425, and heard the following:

Motor Vehicle Incident
Ambulance XX (can't remember the number)
Westheimer Rd. near (unintelligible) Rd.

and then something that sounded like D-patch, possible "dispatch?" 490 Z, Zulu TAC 3.

I understand everything until the end of the location, can anyone decipher that for me?

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
You may get a better response in the Texas Forum, if you're talking about Houston, TX Fire Department.

KE5HOB

Mods can you please move this to the Texas forum?

You know I didn't think of that. Thanks for the suggestion! I hope the mods read this and move it. In the meantime, anyone got any ideas?

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
They use "Key Maps" in Houston. I think you heard "Key Map 490". Peter Sz

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
zerg901 said:
They use "Key Maps" in Houston. I think you heard "Key Map 490". Peter Sz

That sounds about right, it's the grid location on their map...in this case it is 490 Z.

"TAC 3" is referring to a radio channel/talkgroup. (in this case tactical channel #3) All units responding to this incident will switch to that channel.

KE5HOB

Wow, now that I listen to it, it DOES sound like "key map" lol. I could not for the life of me figure it out. Are the TAC channels listed on this database? And can someone explain a key map to me please? Sorry I'm such a n00b to scanning.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
KE5HOB said:
Wow, now that I listen to it, it DOES sound like "key map" lol. I could not for the life of me figure it out. Are the TAC channels listed on this database? And can someone explain a key map to me please? Sorry I'm such a n00b to scanning.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=15 lists the frequencies of all the Fire/EMS channels.

The Key Map, Fire Box, Grid number, ...... information refers to pages in a map book carried on all equipment. These maps show not only street namers and block ranges but show locations of fire plugs and some hazards.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I know of two counties that use the keymap system: Montgomery and Harris. The area is divided into grids. Each grid square contains smaller grid squares lettered A-N, P-Z (I think). So, when a call is dispatched, the keymap is given as main grid square, then sub-grid square.

Another quick tip about listening to Tac 1...When you hear three beeps, it's a fire call. A Hi-Lo tone is a medical call.

Oh..then there are the "pager" codes.
-111: Rescue Incident
-549: HAZMAT Call
-710: Request for EMS Supervisor
-900: Airport Incident

KE5HOB

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the information to help make my scanning easier and more enjoyable!

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Here's another: if you don't want to listen to routine EMS stuff and minor incidents, and get sick of listening to the robot, just scan Tac 7 (462.975) and Tac 8 (460.625). Those are the first and second-assigned channels, respectively, for structure fires, airport incidents, major accidents, gas leaks, major rescue calls, and other "hot incidents." Tac 5 (460.575) is the third-assigned if 7 and 8 are in use, but it's also used for training and doesn't get much working-incident use, so you can skip it if you want.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
There are lots of letters and words that rhyme in the English language - it makes radio listening tough at times.

A - K - J - bay - say - way - etc

B - C - D - key - E - G - P - T - V - etc

I - Y - sky - lie - pie (mmm, pie) - etc

Peter Sz

Status
Not open for further replies.