Help with Mass State Police Programming

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I am still confused about this system. I live in Cranston RI, not very far from Attleboro. I see on RR there is a MSP antenna on a water tank there. I also noticed there are DIFFERENT frequencies for that antenna compared to the freqs for BRISTOL COUNTY MSP. My reception here is terrible. Using SDS200. So I added those frequencies listed for MSP Attleboro to the Bristol County ones but makes no difference. I had been trying to recieve signals from Copicut hill, northeast of Fall River. But I guess I am too far away. I am using a 7 element 800 mhz yagi, even pointed directly at both Attleboro or Copicut Hill, my reception is mostly static, about 50% and 50% voice. When I am MOBILE in car with BCD996P2 in WARWICK, RI, MSP comes in FULL SCALE! Why is this system so hard to hear? Do I need to program JUST CONTROL freqs??? Would a LONGER yagi help?

gordon115

In Attleborough the zone 3 analog system comes in fine. Wouldn't surprise me to find out they are using directional antennas to direct signal to the coverage area like many public safety systems do today. For both zones 3 and 5 you want to monitor the analog systems, no digital coverage in those areas yet. I sometimes travel to the Cranston area on business and the signal drops off fast just at the state line.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Forget counties, they are irrelevant for MSP. All of I-95 from Canton to the RI state line is covered by Troop H and Troop H is on Zone 5. Troop H is also simulcast on Zone 3 of the current system, but you are less likely to receive that in Cranston. For that matter you are unlikely to receive Zone 5 either.

Program the Zone 5 control channels and if you are in range, you'll hear Zone 5 traffic.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
In Attleborough the zone 3 analog system comes in fine. Wouldn't surprise me to find out they are using directional antennas to direct signal to the coverage area like many public safety systems do today. For both zones 3 and 5 you want to monitor the analog systems, no digital coverage in those areas yet. I sometimes travel to the Cranston area on business and the signal drops off fast just at the state line.
I programmed the Attleboro site but no good. Heard nothing. Been trying to get the Bristol County system (Copicut Hill) for a long time on and off but the static level is very bad. I have officially given up on this system!

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I just noticed that the site was missing call sign WPUN255, so that has been added.

mrsvensven

I can confirm that the DB is accurate.

There arent different frequencies for different sites as you seem to state. Every site in the simulcast including (but not limited to) Attleboro, Rehoboth, and Copicut all use the exact same frequencies.

859.8375c859.2875c858.3625c855.9125c

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I also noticed there are DIFFERENT frequencies for that antenna compared to the freqs for BRISTOL COUNTY MSP.
There are no different frequencies as Sven said above. Are you looking at Bristol County Sheriff, thinking it's another MSP site?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
There are no different frequencies as Sven said above. Are you looking at Bristol County Sheriff, thinking it's another MSP site?
OK I might just be out of range where I live. I did know the BC Sheriff system is a different system. I just didnt see why I couldnt hear the CC from Attleboro since I am not that far from there.

AJ1L

Premium Subscriber
OK I might just be out of range where I live. I did know the BC Sheriff system is a different system. I just didnt see why I couldnt hear the CC from Attleboro since I am not that far from there.
The CC from Attleboro is on the same freq as the CC at all the other Zone 3 sites (Fall River, etc). It's a simulcast system. There's no way to know which site you're picking up

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The CC from Attleboro is on the same freq as the CC at all the other Zone 3 sites (Fall River, etc). It's a simulcast system. There's no way to know which site you're picking up
OK either way its a losing situation here. I think part of the problem is Dean Estates which is directly east of me and 100' higher than my location. That big hill must be blocking reception. Normally would try to listen on SDS200. But if I take my BCD996P2 mobile, drive to other side of hill, reception improves quite a lot. Over in Warwick, MSP is full scale mostly all over town. Prob due to flat terrain there.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I thought that the Attleboro site was shared by equipment for both Zone 3 and Zone 5, but I'm not sure. I looked at the Zone 3 tower site map on the RRDB and the height is only about 60' above the terrain. That makes it even less likely that it will be heard in Cranston. The Zone 5 tower in that area is on Route 1 in Wrentham, even further away from Cranston.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I thought that the Attleboro site was shared by equipment for both Zone 3 and Zone 5, but I'm not sure. I looked at the Zone 3 tower site map on the RRDB and the height is only about 60' above the terrain. That makes it even less likely that it will be heard in Cranston. The Zone 5 tower in that area is on Route 1 in Wrentham, even further away from Cranston.
Its looking more and more like the problem is my location. Because I can receive them very good in car with an 800mhz mag mount over in Warwick. Also full scale on the east side of Cranston. I have a BIG HILL to my east so thats probably why I cant hear them very well at home. Even with an 800 mhz yagi and SDS200.