Help with Pro 163

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWS23499

I bought my scanner at RS and had them proogram it.They used Scan Cat Lite Plus. I am not recieving any 800mhz calls.I am recieving some transmissions on the 155.700 channels. Do I need an outside antenna? Do I need to use a differnt software? I live in the country. Did Radio Shack not do something right? I live in Creek County Oklahoma. All help appreciated greatly. Rick

screenersam

I hate motrbro
hard to tell, might have to take it back to them. they might have used the wrong trunk mode (Edacs, Motorola) or in the wrong order.
ensure the bank is on.
remember, some rural agencies will go for hours without any calls.
if the software was bad they would not have been able to program it at all (as I understand it).

RWS23499

Wheni called them back they acted kind of like they didn't care. I told them I might bring it back and get a refund. They said " okay" . Italked to the local RS dealer and he claims this county has a secret code on the end of their freqency. I don't know.
I might try a different software and do it myself. Not real good at that kind of stuff but I will try.
Thank yo very much for the reply

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's likely absolutely nothing wrong with the scanner. The problem is letting some RS person use Scancat Lite Plus to do the programming. That software is rife with issues and problems, and it's quite likely the person doing the programming is not familiar with even the basics of scanning.

Do yourself a favor - get the RS USB cable and try one of the 3 packages that support the 163 - ARC300, Win97 or PSRedit300. They're all linked here...

Popular Software for RS/Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

We also have an article that discusses the USB converters, and some hints about installing them here...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Get yourself a premium subscription, and you will be able to download data directly from our database...

Premium Subscription Information Page

This scanner uses a standard memory layout (banks, not systems...) so it should not be so hard to program. Alternately, go to the Oklahoma forum and ask for a file for your area. Be specific about which software you are using.

73 Mike

DickH

... Italked to the local RS dealer and he claims this county has a secret code on the end of their freqency. ...

That's hilarious. I think he has a secret code behind his name - DUMB. :)

I assume you want to monitor the state-wide system. There are more than 25 sites in that system so you need to ask for help in the Oklahoma forum so you can be sure to put in the right freqs. for your area.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
The problem is letting some RS person use Scancat Lite Plus to do the programming. That software is rife with issues and problems, and it's quite likely the person doing the programming is not familiar with even the basics of scanning.

Radio Shack also has a version of SLP that will only do the RS scanners and as has been printed here many times befor, ir has many problems with the RS scanners. RS also does not let their stores build files for their area ot load into the radios.

I get around that by bringing my own laptop to the store and programing the scanners on display. When I sell a scanner, I then clone the new scanner from the store one and the customer walks out with a working radio. Since scanners are such a small part of the business, it is hard to find a store that knows very much, if anything, about them. Do not blame RS for this lack of knowledge. Many of the current employees are more into smart phones, mp3 players and computers.

Get the USB cable and program the radio yourself with help from us on this list.

RWS23499

I dowloaded Win97 and bought the programming cable. I am going to get Premium status on RR.
Questions.
1.Do I need to use the cd that came with the cable?
2. Do I need to have a list of freqs before I try to use Win 97 or does the software take care of it?
3. Will I have to type in a lot of info. when I use Win97?
4.Why does the database show pre 800mhz freqs for my county instead of the actual freqs that the county uses?
Note: I am not a good computer operator, just know basic stuff.
Thanks for the help so far. Rick

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
1.Do I need to use the cd that came with the cable?

Maybe, That is the drivers for the cable

2. Do I need to have a list of freqs before I try to use Win 97 or does the software take care of it?

The Import feature will take care of this

3. Will I have to type in a lot of info. when I use Win97?

Only if you want to make changes

4.Why does the database show pre 800mhz freqs for my county instead of the actual freqs that the county uses?

Sometimes county and city systems are different or your county may be getting ready to change to a 800mHz system

RWS23499

Arc300 no instruction page

Had no luck trying to program with WIN 97, so I downloaded Arc300 and there are no instructions with the download Help please. Rick

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Did you have the correct com port selected to communicate with the scanner?

Did you selece the Pro164 from the drop down menu? (3rd scanner down)

RWS23499

Yes I was able to dowload to the computer. After that I went to import and checked the freqs and talk groups and then tried to upload which said it was writing to the scanner, but when I checked the scanner it had the same junk that Radio Shack had programmmed. No 800 and no talk groups. In reality I uploaded the same thind I downloaded. Win 97 leaves you hanging after the download and goes into trouble mode and then stops when they should continue on to the rest of the process of making your scanner work right. Very dissapointing. Poorly written instructions and poor organizing their thoughts. Rick

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Win 97 leaves you hanging after the download and goes into trouble mode and then stops when they should continue on to the rest of the process of making your scanner work right.

There must be something wrong with your setup. I have run Win97 on at least 5 different computers with out any problems other than human error on my part. When Win97 opens, there is a blank file created for the scanner. When you download from the scanner into Win97, the program creates a second file identified as "from scanner" Once you save the file, the name will change name to what ever name you saved it under. When uploading, the program will send the last file selected. After uploading a file back to the scanner, the radio will go back to "Clone Mode" NOTE: Upload takes a lot longer than download. Once upload is complete. the upload window closes.

RWS23499

Hi,
I was able to dowload and start a file with the p97 ext. After that it went downhill. I went to import and picked the freqs I wanted. Then I hit the import and then upload It said it was uploading but there was nothing on the scanner except the original stuff that RS had put there. So I uploaded basically the same thing I downloaded.Why is this not working? Thank you for you help. Rick

RWS23499

I used bank 3 . I think what I am doing wrong is not saving my imported data to a scv(sp) file and then trying to upload. Does that make sense? I am very slow at this computer stuff. Thanks again for your help. Wife had me running around today and didn't get to play with my toys Ha Ha. Rick

RWS23499

KC5E1B,
Finally got the scanner running. Ended up using ARC 300 software. Win97 had too many issues and problems with poor instructions. Thank you for your help Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.