Help with Retevis RT95

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKLdiy88

Okay, long story short - got my license last year, and life got busy (various household projects, ect) I am now ready to restart my ham hobby still effectively feeling like a noob, :ROFLMAO: ha, ha !

I still have my Yaesu FT-60R, but was researching to see what I could get as a second more powerful ham radio.

I am retired, not poor, but still on a tight budget as far as "hobby stuff" so after doing a lot of research I just ordered a Retevis RT95 Mobile Radio from Amazon for just $100.93 +tax (it was at a reduced price + had a 5% off coupon on that page)

Hopefully there are some members familiar with the Retevis RT95 Mobile Radio and can help with some questions.

I have read conflicting reports as to if the programming cable is compatible with Windows 11 so I did not order one and was considering just programming the unit manually (while programming thru a PC would be easier, it is supposed to be able to be programmed manually also)
Has anyone done manual programming with this model ?

Also, I wanted to be able to use this both in the car occasionally but mainly in the house as a base station so 2 questions related to all that:

Do I need to get a specific cigarette lighter plug to connect to the radio power wires for use in the car or can I use one of the spare plugs I have left over around the house from other devices no longer used ?

Do I need to get an expensive power supply to use this at home or can I try to use something I already have around the house, perhaps even connect to the cables of an auto battery trickle charger used to slow charge auto batteries ?

I already have an external antenna I got for my Yaesu FT-60R, a Tram-1185 magnetic antenna, can I use that same antenna for the Retevis RT95 ?

Any other ideas welcome also !

Note: I will be busy shortly so I might not respond to any questions or comments right away.

Thanks in advance for any help !

Gary

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No experience programming them. But I can help with some of the other questions.

Also, I wanted to be able to use this both in the car occasionally but mainly in the house as a base station so 2 questions related to all that:

Do I need to get a specific cigarette lighter plug to connect to the radio power wires for use in the car or can I use one of the spare plugs I have left over around the house from other devices no longer used ?

Looks like it may use the standard ham radio T power connector. If you have one of those, make 100% sure the polarity is the same. Make sure suitable fuses are installed.

I'd caution against using cigarette lighter sockets for powering radios. Yes, it can work, but it can also be a source of interference from the vehicle electronics. The preferred method is to wire directly to the battery so you are supplying clean power to the radio.
You can try running it off the cigarette lighter plug, but if you start experiencing issues or get noise on your receive and/or transmit audio, that might be your issue.

Do I need to get an expensive power supply to use this at home or can I try to use something I already have around the house, perhaps even connect to the cables of an auto battery trickle charger used to slow charge auto batteries ?

An automotive battery trickle charger likely will not have enough current capacity to run the radio when transmitting. They likely are not well filtered, either. I would strongly recommend not doing that.

You would want a power supply designed for what you are doing. 12 volt output, regulated and filtered, and able to supply around 10 amps.
You could temporarily use a 12 volt gel cell battery to try things out.

I already have an external antenna I got for my Yaesu FT-60R, a Tram-1185 magnetic antenna, can I use that same antenna for the Retevis RT95?

That antenna should work fine on your vehicle.

N4KVE

I must have accumulated 4-5 20 amp name brand switchers at ham fests over the years. Never paid more than $20. It’s like a disease. Now when I go to a ham fest with my friend, we make a deal. He says to me “do NOT let me buy another repeater”, & I tell him “do not let me buy another power supply”.

GKLdiy88

No experience programming them. But I can help with some of the other questions.

Looks like it may use the standard ham radio T power connector. If you have one of those, make 100% sure the polarity is the same. Make sure suitable fuses are installed.

I'd caution against using cigarette lighter sockets for powering radios. Yes, it can work, but it can also be a source of interference from the vehicle electronics. The preferred method is to wire directly to the battery so you are supplying clean power to the radio.
You can try running it off the cigarette lighter plug, but if you start experiencing issues or get noise on your receive and/or transmit audio, that might be your issue.

An automotive battery trickle charger likely will not have enough current capacity to run the radio when transmitting. They likely are not well filtered, either. I would strongly recommend not doing that.

You would want a power supply designed for what you are doing. 12 volt output, regulated and filtered, and able to supply around 10 amps.
You could temporarily use a 12 volt gel cell battery to try things out.

That antenna should work fine on your vehicle.

Thanks, appreciate the reply !

I wonder if there was any noise if it could be filtered out ? (I kinda think my wife would prefer me not drilling holes in our fairly new (2020) car to get wires to the battery :ROFLMAO:)

The gel cell battery is an interesting idea, just checked Amazon and they have a 12 Volt 7.2 AH gel cell for $19.99 but would prefer a power supply.

GKLdiy88

I must have accumulated 4-5 20 amp name brand switchers at ham fests over the years. Never paid more than $20. It’s like a disease. Now when I go to a ham fest with my friend, we make a deal. He says to me “do NOT let me buy another repeater”, & I tell him “do not let me buy another power supply”.

:ROFLMAO:

Thanks, appreciate the reply !

Glad to hear a power supply can be gotten for $20 or less !

I was pricing new power supplies and didn't really want to pay roughly 2/3 of what I paid for the radio itself :ROFLMAO:

N4KVE

I kinda think my wife would prefer me not drilling holes in our fairly new (2020) car to get wires to the battery.
I‘ve been putting radios in my cars for decades, & never had to drill a hole in the firewall. Plenty already there for the gearshift cable, brake booster, & parking brake cable.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I wonder if there was any noise if it could be filtered out ? (I kinda think my wife would prefer me not drilling holes in our fairly new (2020) car to get wires to the battery :ROFLMAO:)

It's better to not let the noise in than to try and filter it out later. There are line filters you can use, but if you do a proper install, you shouldn't need them.
As N4KVE said, you shouldn't need to drill any holes in the firewall. I've been doing mobile installs for 30+ years and never needed to drill a firewall.

It really is worth doing right the first time. Proper power source, proper grounding, proper mounting will all make life a lot easier. Sloppy installs will anger the wife much more.

The gel cell battery is an interesting idea, just checked Amazon and they have a 12 Volt 7.2 AH gel cell for $19.99 but would prefer a power supply.

And a 7.2 AH battery would work, but not for very long. A dedicated 12 volt power supply designed for communications use is what you want. You can shop around for good used ones, or find a decent quality new one fairly easily.

GKLdiy88

I‘ve been putting radios in my cars for decades, & never had to drill a hole in the firewall. Plenty already there for the gearshift cable, brake booster, & parking brake cable.

Good to know, thanks ! This would be my first install of a mobile ham radio, but I guess that is obvious :ROFLMAO:

GKLdiy88

It's better to not let the noise in than to try and filter it out later. There are line filters you can use, but if you do a proper install, you shouldn't need them.
As N4KVE said, you shouldn't need to drill any holes in the firewall. I've been doing mobile installs for 30+ years and never needed to drill a firewall.

It really is worth doing right the first time. Proper power source, proper grounding, proper mounting will all make life a lot easier. Sloppy installs will anger the wife much more.

And a 7.2 AH battery would work, but not for very long. A dedicated 12 volt power supply designed for communications use is what you want. You can shop around for good used ones, or find a decent quality new one fairly easily.

Good point, and yes, my wife does prefer that I do projects right the first time :ROFLMAO:

I just recently read elsewhere where good used power supplies can be found for about $20 or less !

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good point, and yes, my wife does prefer that I do projects right the first time :ROFLMAO:

"We do it right because we do it twice".

I just recently read elsewhere where good used power supplies can be found for about $20 or less !

Yeah, if you are careful and know what you are looking for, totally possible.
You need a 12 volt DC regulated power supply capable of giving you at least 10 amps.

GKLdiy88

"We do it right because we do it twice".

Yeah, if you are careful and know what you are looking for, totally possible.
You need a 12 volt DC regulated power supply capable of giving you at least 10 amps.

Thanks, I try to be careful by researching and asking questions before buying such stuff so as to be sure I am getting the right thing the first time.

GKLdiy88

Okay, been doing more research in trying to find a budget priced power supply that is still worth getting, I found one I am considering that is only $18.99 and there were 2 reviews on the product page from hams that use it successfully to power their radios, but I wanted to get some additional opinions before deciding, here is a link where you can see the info on it $18.99 power supply

Thanks in advance for any additional opinions !

(there is one I'd like to get that is about 3 times the price, but after buying the radio itself I need to stay extra budget minded right now :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: )

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've never used that one, but I've used similar type power supplies.

They usually work well. Only challenge is they are not 'plug-n-play'. You do have to wire up the AC power yourself and make sure it's properly protected.

GKLdiy88

I've never used that one, but I've used similar type power supplies.

They usually work well. Only challenge is they are not 'plug-n-play'. You do have to wire up the AC power yourself and make sure it's properly protected.

Thanks, if I decide to get that one I was thinking of attaching a female lighter socket to the output to make it easy to move the radio from the house to car at the occasional times I might want to take it in the car. Also, I have saved heavy duty grounded cords from household devices I threw away in the past so I should have a grounded plug and cord to attach to the input.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks, if I decide to get that one I was thinking of attaching a female lighter socket to the output to make it easy to move the radio from the house to car at the occasional times I might want to take it in the car. Also, I have saved heavy duty grounded cords from household devices I threw away in the past so I should have a grounded plug and cord to attach to the input.

Cigarette lighter plugs are less than ideal. They rely on the spring to keep pressure on the contact. They tend to loosen over time and the connection starts arcing.

You'd be better off using the more common T-power connectors used on those radios to make the connection. It'll give you less headaches down the road.

Remember, cigarette lighters were designed for lightning cigarettes, not powering communications equipment. Yes, it'll work, but it will be problematic.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I found one I am considering that is only $18.99
If you are going to buy a generic power supply like that, look for one made by Meanwell. They may, or may not, be more reliable than a no-name brand that may be here today, gone tomorrow.

And, as mmckenna said, pay attention to proper protection on the 120 VAC side. Those power supplies are intended to go in other equipment where they are protected by the equipment's housing. They are not intended to sit naked on a desk or shelf.

GKLdiy88

Cigarette lighter plugs are less than ideal. They rely on the spring to keep pressure on the contact. They tend to loosen over time and the connection starts arcing.

You'd be better off using the more common T-power connectors used on those radios to make the connection. It'll give you less headaches down the road.

Remember, cigarette lighters were designed for lightning cigarettes, not powering communications equipment. Yes, it'll work, but it will be problematic.

Thanks, good point, I can surely consider using a T-power connector for the indoor connection, as far as the very occasional times I might want to take it in the car I might have to use the lighter plug because I did research on people who wanted to install a ham radio wired directly to the battery in the same type of car we have (a plug-in hybrid Prius Prime) and they said there is no easy access thru the firewall, they had to take off the left front tire and pull the plastic covering away from the wheel well to be able to guide the wires thru where the hood release cable goes. I don't really want to go thru all that :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

GKLdiy88

If you are going to buy a generic power supply like that, look for one made by Meanwell. They may, or may not, be more reliable than a no-name brand that may be here today, gone tomorrow.

And, as mmckenna said, pay attention to proper protection on the 120 VAC side. Those power supplies are intended to go in other equipment where they are protected by the equipment's housing. They are not intended to sit naked on a desk or shelf.

Thanks, good point ! I am also considering the possibilty of getting a power supply that is safely enclosed, still doing research.

GKLdiy88

Okay, this is more than I want to squeeze out of my tight hobby budget right after buying the RT95 but it is listed right now at 35% off, what do y'all think ?

12 amp power supply link

it is a 12 amp 13.8v power supply !

(if I get it I'll just have to control my buying to much hobby stuff for a while :D :ROFLMAO: )

GKLdiy88

Okay, this is more than I want to squeeze out of my tight hobby budget right after buying the RT95 but it is listed right now at 35% off, what do y'all think ?

12 amp power supply link

it is a 12 amp 13.8v power supply !

(if I get it I'll just have to control my buying to much hobby stuff for a while :D :ROFLMAO: )

okay, after researching reviews on the above model I am concerned it has no cooling fan and is supposed to only be able to run 15 minutes at full power before shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.