Help with tower Identification and Configuring.

Sunray-Skip

Here's the tower in question any help in ID'ing it would be great. Verticals are 1-1/4", approx 17-3/4" from outside edge to outside edge.

It has a mast pipe that is adjustable (see image below A), currently raised as far as it will go. This mast pipe has a square section clamped in the middle (see image below C), see close up 3rd image down. Is the mast pipe one piece with the clamp at image 3 clamped in the middle, or is this something that joins to pieces? I'm wanting to mount a VHF antenna on this mast pipe and raise it as high as possible, and if it's just clamped, slide it further down the mast pipe.
Any criticism or advice is welcome.

IMG_7168 (Large).JPG
IMG_7166b.jpg
IMG_1826 (Large).JPG
IMG_7166 (Large).JPG
IMG_1836 (Large).JPG
IMG_1837 (Large).JPG
IMG_1839 (Large).JPG

west-pac

This mast pipe has a square section clamped in the middle (see image below C), see close up 3rd image down. Is the mast pipe one piece with the clamp at image 3 clamped in the middle, or is this something that joins to pieces?

I don't think there would be a reason to have a clamp in the middle just to have a clamp. I'd guess it's actually connecting 2 mast pipes together.

Sunray-Skip

I don't think there would be a reason to have a clamp in the middle just to have a clamp. I'd guess it's actually connecting 2 mast pipes together.
It has a shackle on it that connects to a wire rope for lift. I was thinking the same thing, but what is the lower section of pipe for? The clamp section can't move past point B, so what would all the pipe below there be for?

Sunray-Skip

Yup, good 'ol Rohn 45. A little on the beat side if you ask me.
Thanks for the ID. I agree that section looks ratty. But the price was right - it came for free with the property.
The only section that's rusty like that is the top 10ft section. All the rest of it is like the bottom section in the concrete. The rust on the top section appears to only be superficial, and I believe can be treated by a light sanding with scotch-brite and painting with cold gal or Kill-Rust Primer/Paint. Tower has very well done guy anchors and was nice and stable with my 196lb ass at the top.

west-pac

It has a shackle on it that connects to a wire rope for lift. I was thinking the same thing, but what is the lower section of pipe for? The clamp section can't move past point B, so what would all the pipe below there be for?

The rotor plate is down below, inside the tower. That's why the mast goes that far down inside the tower.

Sunray-Skip

The rotor plate is down below, inside the tower. That's why the mast goes that far down inside the tower.
That does make sense, though Point D is currently a large clearance hole, but it's possible there was a bear plate there at some point. Currently the two bearing plate are located a point B and the point in between A and B.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The only section that's rusty like that is the top 10ft section.
Rohn 20, 25, 45, and 65 towers use tubular vertical elements. If condensation forms on the inside of the tubes, the tubes will start to corrode from the inside out. In other words, the tower could be rusty in places you can't see. Could make for a dangerous situation if someone tries to climb it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You forgot the old short lived Rohn 35G Tower they were built as a Motorola Tower and not sold to the public. I have seen a few just not many in West Tennessee and West Kentucky area when I still did climbing.

west-pac

That does make sense, though Point D is currently a large clearance hole, but it's possible there was a bear plate there at some point. Currently the two bearing plate are located a point B and the point in between A and B.

Ones of these used to sit on Point D. A wire went down the tower and inside the building to a control box that would indicate which way your antennas were pointed. You could adjust the control box and it would rotate the mast pipe to change the direction the antennas were pointed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230709-104244_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230709-104244_Chrome.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 4

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Rohn 20, 25, 45, and 65 towers use tubular vertical elements. If condensation forms on the inside of the tubes, the tubes will start to corrode from the inside out. In other words, the tower could be rusty in places you can't see. Could make for a dangerous situation if someone tries to climb it.

Just like the old Toyota Tacoma frames, they do rust from the inside out. Inspect thoroughly before using.