Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

horseshoe

Just got this new unit. Can hear several departments in my area but can't hear anything from my town. It just says "ID scanning" at the bottom of the screen but never hear any transmissions. I Uploaded the sentenial. What am I doing wrong?

horseshoe

I have a 996 and can hear plenty. Its almost like I can hear conventional but any of the trunking departments its not picking anything up. When scanning full database. I'm in the middle of the dallas Ft Worth area and hear very little when scanning the full database.

dcisive

I just went through the exact same thing. The way I confirmed it wan't the radio was I simply ran the FULL Database in scan mode and noted it found a lot of things going on I wasn't hearing. I'm not 100% sure but I went and reconstructed a nice clean Favorite listing of all my local police. I made sure to add the Sites in the area that were relevant to being able to receive what I needed. I also made sure to add a QuickKey number to the Favorite list and all areas where it had the ability to add it in the setup procedure of the pages shown as you go through and set up all the details of a Favorites list. Low and behold it's finally now cooking full of activity as it should.

horseshoe

I actually turned on all service types just to see and yes I was picking up all the services that I had turned on. . I guess I will Reprogram and add all frequencies and ID tags for what I want to listen too. I bought this scanner with the hopes that everything I wanted was already on it and that the zip code function would work like they said it would. And in that regard I'm disappointed that I spent this much and will have to reprogram it for what I want to hear. My 996 is so much easier to program. Waist of money

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have a 996 and can hear plenty. Its almost like I can hear conventional but any of the trunking departments its not picking anything up. When scanning full database. I'm in the middle of the dallas Ft Worth area and hear very little when scanning the full database.
Where are you in the DFW area? I'm in Dallas itself.

If you are using the full database to monitor, make sure that you update the database in Sentinel, then write that to the scanner to make sure the scanner has the latest info. If you have not updated it, the database in the scanner could be one from before Irving, Arlington, Grand Prairie and the NETCO cities migrated to the FWRRS.

Also be sure that you have updated the location in your profile, and set your range. I have the 536HP, as well as two 436HP's, and the HP-1 & HP-2. If you could hear things on your 996 that you cannot hear on the 536, I suspect that your database is out of date.

horseshoe

I have updated it with Sentinel, I live in Grapevine, I cant hear anything from Tarrant county. Dallas county I can hear plenty. I have set my range any where from 20 miles to 1 mile with no change. I have entered my zip code 20 times.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have updated it with Sentinel, I live in Grapevine, I cant hear anything from Tarrant county. Dallas county I can hear plenty. I have set my range any where from 20 miles to 1 mile with no change. I have entered my zip code 20 times.
Are you using a Favorites list, or scanning using your location and range and the main database.

You updated the main database in Sentinel, then chose 'write to scanner' to get it updated in the radio? Database in Sentinel should be dated 01/29/2017. On your 536, try this:
Press the Menu key
Scroll down to Manage Full Database, and press 'E' (Enter)
Now, scroll to 'Information' and press E again. What version of the database does it show? What date.

In setting your location, are you doing that in Sentinel as well as on the scanner itself?

When I visit a friend in Grapevine, I can hear the NETCO layer (which includes Grapevine, Southlake, Bedford, & the others) with no problem.

marksmith

The 996 does not have a "full database"

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

horseshoe

I got it figured out, I thought it had uploaded the current version to the scanner but apparently it didn't. Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.