Herkimer County

JoeNick

Sorry, I know this is probably wrong place to ask but best I can do right now. Anyone know what is going-on with the Herkimer Co. Fire and Emergency frequency transmission on the Web? "Server Down" message now for a week. Thanks, I have reason for having to listen on Web and not on Scanner.
Joe, can email direct appreciated, joenick@samobile.net

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
After looking at the update to the Herkimer County database I noticed a bunch of shared frequencies within some of the municipalities. Seeing as I've never been anyplace that does this, I wonder how this works, especially with the shared use of police and highway departments.

Is this really a thing or is it just listed as such for another reason..?

k2hz

Database Admin
I am not familiar with current Herkimer County operations, but I don't think that use is unique. Over the years many small town or village PDs in rural areas that are dispatched on a countywide Law system have found it convenient to use their municipalities' Local Government or Highway channel for car to car communications. It makes no sense to get a dedicated channel for a small department and the shared use provides for direct coordination with highway and other agencies.

I do suspect such incidental police use is not always reported to RRDB.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
No, does not appear to be unique. I just noticed many dual purpose channels in this listing.

It just got me wondering how that would work/use protocol. I'm guessing there wouldn't be too much police "special ops"/details going on while the highway dept. was using the frequency. ;)

k2hz

Database Admin
Given the size of the Illion or Little Falls PDs and the nature of the community, I doubt a "special ops" channel is a major concern. Such activities would likely be on countywide TAC and possibly involve other agencies. Note the countywide 154.430 Law Tac listing.

In my experience with use in other areas, such channels are used for "details" such as traffic control, parades, sports or special events where interop with highway and other local resources may be an advantage rather than a problem.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Very true. I'm guessing that's the case especially now with most places having a trunk system or one dedicated 911 dispatch center.

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
Herkimer County proposed project is to expand our current RF Coverage, Improve our current Microwave System and link the system into the Adirondack Consortium to the east and also into the Central NY Consortium to the west. The SICG would supply Herkimer County with a P25 VHF Trunking Backbone and would also greatly improve interoperability by installing National Interoperability Frequencies at our main communications sites. Herkimer County would also install an enhanced Communications Dispatch System at our County Dispatch Center.

will this system me link to simucast I really hope not

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Southern Herkimer will be simulcast (it already is) and it will be phase 2. It is the only way to make it all work. Not sure exactly what they have planned for up North, that very much depends on the scope and any intended coverage into Hamilton County. They are going to be hard pressed to get VHF channels, Oneida sucked up most of the usable ones, ERPs will be low so that should be helpful

KE2BJW

KE2BJW
Southern Herkimer will be simulcast (it already is) and it will be phase 2. It is the only way to make it all work. Not sure exactly what they have planned for up North, that very much depends on the scope and any intended coverage into Hamilton County. They are going to be hard pressed to get VHF channels, Oneida sucked up most of the usable ones, ERPs will be low so that should be helpful

I am in Herkimer Ny I use a TRX-1 i hear herkimer has not upgraded there systems yet with P25 trunking

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Trust me, if they went P25 trunking you would know about it. There would be a lot of work and $$$ to make that change.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Law and fire are both simulcast in southern half of the county. They turned that on a few months ago. They did a fairly substantial upgrade in 2021, new towers, base stations, microwave etc.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Can someone in Herkimer County (or eastern Oneida County) please confirm the identity of the DMR signal on 452.1750? The clues from the transmissions lead me to believe this is Dolgeville Central School or maybe Little Falls City School District. The transmissions are at the edge of my receiving area in NW Oneida County, so my reception is spotty.

@studgeman - I wasn't sure if this is close to you.

k2hz

Database Admin
Can someone in Herkimer County (or eastern Oneida County) please confirm the identity of the DMR signal on 452.1750? The clues from the transmissions lead me to believe this is Dolgeville Central School or maybe Little Falls City School District. The transmissions are at the edge of my receiving area in NW Oneida County, so my reception is spotty.

@studgeman - I wasn't sure if this is close to you.
I am not in the area but frequency is licensed to Herkimer BOCES. (WQKE452)

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
A BOCES owned transmitter makes sense. I looked this up in the past and discounted the address associated with the frequency (452.175). The address from the FCC database (269 BARKER RD MOHAWK, NY) puts the tower way down the Mohawk Valley near Fultonville. That of course is outside the county and beyond my typical reception area.

Tonight I copied the Lat/Long coordinates and converted to decimal for Google Maps. Now I can see the database puts the tower SSW of Little Falls NY. That makes much more sense.

Now I have to figure out the school(s). I have two TGs I am dealing with; 100 and 110.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I am guessing it is schools (plural), as this would be the nature of BOCES. It is worth noting that County lines and BOCES lines do not usually coincide. Oppenheim and Dolgeville are Herkimer schools. My UHF Yagi is actually pointed in the opposite direction and that might be in one of its deep nulls, but I will give it a shot and see if I can catch anything tomorrow afternoon. Usually school buses give out roads and school names. Roads can be helpful by correlating them using the school district layer in Google Earth.

Have you picked up any other system information along the way? Is this trunked or is single channel multi-talkgroup?

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
Heads up in northern Herkimer County (Old Forge). New Fire repeater frequency added to its license. 155.880/153.755 A mobile frequency added as well, 154.9025

Plug these in if your in the coverage area of Mc Cauley Mnt. Let us know if you hear anything