Hezbollah Icom portables exploding in Lebanon?

yahya

If someone has the manual for the AR-924, please post it. This would surely facilitate discussion.

As indicated on the mfg. (?) page, that is now available only via time machine, the AR-924 could be hand- or USB cable programmed. That would indicate that a Hussein or Ali from Hezbollah could program them upon getting them only with the help of the manual.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
One way or the other, the amount of planning and work this took is incredible, and it may not be over if other electronics are affected. It is too bad they cannot channel this type of energy into something more productive, but I certainly understand the reasoning and motives.
No matter how you feel about the motives, this is scary stuff.
It is sad and unfortunate that companies like Icom are drawn into this considering the exceptional contribution they have made to amateur radio over the years. I will keep using my IC-v80!
Fortunately. at this time we can all just talk about the technical aspects of this type of situation. Hopefully it stays that way.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think what Israel did is f'ing genius. Hezbollah was so paranoid with the phone intercepts and tracking being used to target them that they went to pagers and radios for comms. Intercept the shipments, install explosives with an activation mechanism and now they are throwing out baby monitors. Take out their communications and they can't organize as easily. And of course kill and injure as many terrorists as you can. I'll drink to that.
Just like Ted Kaczynskii was a genius. So yeah, ok. But the tools are the same for ALL government terrorists. So I won't be drinking to the dead and maimed children

RFI-EMI-GUY

One way or the other, the amount of planning and work this took is incredible, and it may not be over if other electronics are affected. It is too bad they cannot channel this type of energy into something more productive, but I certainly understand the reasoning and motives.
No matter how you feel about the motives, this is scary stuff.
It is sad and unfortunate that companies like Icom are drawn into this considering the exceptional contribution they have made to amateur radio over the years. I will keep using my IC-v80!
Fortunately. at this time we can all just talk about the technical aspects of this type of situation. Hopefully it stays that way.
Maybe we should be having a second look at the downing of MH370. After all one of the theories included 800 lbs of /\/\ batteries be shipped from Malaysia to China. Maybe more to the story there.

BinaryMode

Maybe we should be having a second look at the downing of MH370. After all one of the theories included 800 lbs of /\/\ batteries be shipped from Malaysia to China. Maybe more to the story there.

There's more to that airline disaster then some batteries. Believe me... (or not, I don't care LOL)

Edit-

May be interested in this. The Search for MH370 | Serving the MH370 Global Community i.e. the flight path...

Anyway...

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The manufacturer of Apollo Gold pagers says the pagers that exploded were not manufactured by them but by some other company under license.

The manufacturer of the model of Icom VHF handheld radios shown in news photos says that model hasn't been manufactured by Icom for several years and they are aware of counterfeits of this model appearing on the market in the past.

I would be hesitant to point fingers at any particular manufacturer based on what we know.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The manufacturer of the model of Icom VHF handheld radios shown in news photos says that model hasn't been manufactured by Icom for several years and they are aware of counterfeits of this model appearing on the market in the past.
Go to ebay and search for "IC-V82". You can but a brand new one right now. From China. Which strongly suggests a conterfeit.

Dig around and you'll find other "brand new from China" discontinued amateur radios on eBay.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It should be concerning that batteries that are booby trapped could, in future, be circulating on the secondary market.

Xray

Yeah, but here's the thing, it wasn't only just radios and pagers, it was all kinds of different devices from fingerprint scanners to solar panels. No way they planted explosives in every single piece of tech that has come through those areas. There is something else here, a new tech that they just showed the world that they have. The ability to cause any battery in any electrical device to malfunction, overheat, and explode. Just the thought is kinda scary.
Am doubting that, explosives were planted - Don't fear the Beeper !