HF Transceivers - Experience/Knowledge Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaJungle

dont pass up the ability to do SSB on 2M and 70CM, it opens up a entire world of things to explore
2M FT8 is a real thing, it has turned into the goto mode for the big VHF/UHF contests
and there is always meteor scatter to play with using MSK144
just last week I received a FT8 signal on 2M from almost 1000 miles away on my tiny 2M halo antenna

my vote goes to the IC-7100
I didnt really consider this - thanks for bringing it up.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
As far as digital stuff - I don't really think I need all that much fancy stuff - after all, I can just hook it up to a computer and use an application for that, right?
Don't ignore your potential future interest in digital modes such as FT8, FT4, PSK, WinLink, etc. - Good news is that both the IC-7300 and the IC-7100 do all of them with just a USB cable to your computer... no external modems, adapters, etc. And yes, the 7300 has the waterfall you're used to seeing for all signals (not just the digital ones via the software).

n5ims

As far as features and bands - I really have no need for the radio to do anything other than HF. I have VHF/UHF radios, so I'd rather get something that is best at HF and down rather than OK all around.

One advantage of having VHF/UHF as additional bands on your HR radio (with most anyway) is that they will do SSB on those bands as well. Most typical VHF/UHF radios will only do FM with some adding a digital mode like Fusion or DStar

Features - the biggest thing I would say is, I am very much used to having a waterfall display since I do a lot with SDRs. From talking to a really helpful member here who messaged me, I found that I can have that even on radios without one built-in - but I think the IC7300 is looking really nice since it has that plus a lot more.

This is mostly true, but your radio will need to be able to pass the data on to your computer. The waterfall display requires the radio to pass the signal patterns for not only the frequency tuned in, but a range on both sides for the display to function. Many will do this out of the box, but check if it's a "must have" or a "high want". Even some older tube type radios can be made to do this if they have a "Pan Adapter" installed that taps into the IF signal.

As far as digital stuff - I don't really think I need all that much fancy stuff - after all, I can just hook it up to a computer and use an application for that, right?

Yes, most digital modes can be done on nearly any HF radio using an sound card interface such as the RIGblaster line. You'll also need some type of rig control interface for them to work like most folks expect. Often this is USB or RS232 (aka serial port) and your radio will need to have the required connection for your sound card interface to plug into. Even some very old radios have or can be modified to have this type of interface. My mid-80s Kenwood has a replacement card available to add this feature. The newer the radio, the more control this connection will generally provide, but often you really don't need much for the typical digital mode software to work.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Features - the biggest thing I would say is, I am very much used to having a waterfall display since I do a lot with SDRs.

I lived without a waterfall for over 20 years, before picking up my 7610 and 7300. And in all honesty, I don't know how I managed. I LOVE my waterfall, and would never buy another HF radio without one.

With the 7300, it is quite literally a matter of hooking a single USB cable from the radio to your computer, changing a few settings, and you are doing digital.

I am also super fond of the ease of controlling the Icom radios remotely.

ScubaJungle

Ive been thinking about this heavily and while I would love to have the VHF/UHF capabilities with all of the extra modes added, the waterfall and internal tuner on the 7300 definitely look appealing to me.
I'm leaning towards purchasing the 7300 with an Alinco power supply to get me going.

ScubaJungle

I gave it more thought because I do like the idea of having vhf and uhf, so i looked up how to interface the 7100 to get a waterfall via SDR.. It seems way to risky for my liking. Very, very small points to solder on a $800+ dollar radio that will void the warranty and possibly resale value is just too much chance for me, and I can't see myself enjoying the radio fully without the waterfall display. I think I'm going to spend the extra ~$200 and buy a new 7300

prcguy

Or......wait a month or three and get the new Icom IC-705. Its a small radio that has the same display as the IC-7300 and has HF, 2m and 70cm. With a 100w HF amp it should be very similar to the 7300 and you will have VHF and UHF. Add an LDG tuner and you will have up to 10:1 tuning range on HF instead of the more limited 3:1 of the internal 7300 tuner. The performance of the 705 should be similar to the 7300 and if worse, not much worse. IC-705 All Mode Portable - Features - Icom America

I gave it more thought because I do like the idea of having vhf and uhf, so i looked up how to interface the 7100 to get a waterfall via SDR.. It seems way to risky for my liking. Very, very small points to solder on a $800+ dollar radio that will void the warranty and possibly resale value is just too much chance for me, and I can't see myself enjoying the radio fully without the waterfall display. I think I'm going to spend the extra ~$200 and buy a new 7300

Yagi

There are a lot of good options out there and as advised above spend some time reading reviews and looking at the online references.

You were asking for suggested model numbers.

So my 2 cents worth for below a $1k and either current or recently current:

Yaesu - FT450 (the 450D is current)
- FT950 plenty of them around on used market for reasonable prices. Larger radio so doesn't have the "mobile" feel.

Kenwood - TS590 / 590SG. This series has a good reputation for receiver performance.
- TS480 doesn't offer the performance of the TS590 but very popular and so easy to find used.
- TS570 another popular Kenwood. (The TS590 has a better receiver).

Icom - IC7300 very good value for the money.
- IC7100 are popular for the features for the cost.
- IC7200 basic rig that still seems to be a common model I hear on the air.

The models I suggest are not any sort of definitive list. Just some suggestions as a starting point.
With ANY model suggested you will always hear about a few bad experiences. So be sure and look at the overall history of reviews and comments from multiple owners.

Also there are a number of other great radios that may on occasion be found at similar prices. So spend a little time researching other models you run across.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.