• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

High SWR

Mikeno11

This is my first post on this site, so I apologize if this isn’t being posted in the correct place. I’m fairly new into running CB units, the last one I had was back in highschool. I have a uniform bearcat 880, with a fiberglass whip. The problem I’m running into, is that I have sky high swrs on almost every channel, regardless of what I do. I know location and ground are two of the biggest factors, but driving a superduty I’m limited on spots. I have the antenna mounted on to the side of my back rack, and I ran a wire to the chassis for added ground but no change. Any input would be greatly appreciated

slowmover

A pickup is potentially an excellent vehicle for mobile. Center of the roof permanent mount is the ideal.

A SIRIO 5000 Performer on a Breedlove Mount fairly describes state-of-the-art in performance. Not as tall as a quarter-wave whip, and with lower wind resistance.

IMG_1394.jpeg

The pair of systems (12V power & coaxial cable + antenna) are what matter most. No noise & lowest resistance.

www.k0bg.com

Is the Mobile Install Bible. 11-Meter shares nearly every concern an Amateur Radio installation needs.

Location & Mount for the antenna is the make-or-break decision. Every other location and mount-type degrades potential to the point best and worst are so far apart that it’s difficult to believe both are Citizen Band.

Can what you have be made to work? Sure, just like an old diesel engine tractor can run on five of six cylinders. Not well.

As a truck driver covering 10,000-miles every month I can tell you that pickup owners — usually — do a terrible radio system installation job. The ones with whom I speak fade out almost immediately. They’ve no clue what’s being missed. They hear almost nothing of what’s on-air that moment or day.

Citizen Band while traveling is at the heart of its true purpose. To alert, DEFINE, and attempt solutions to problems with one’s fellows. In this it is unmatched.

Yesterday I was northbound on IH35W thru Fort Worth and noted the mile marker location (plus probably age), clock time, LE/EMT presence of a serious accident in the opposing direction still south of downtown. The next 15-miles north was giving Road, Direction, Incident, Time and Solution to the southbound hands had their radios turned up.

The time of day meant traffic was already jammed just north of downtown at the IH-30 + US-287 split headed south, and that ongoing road re-construction (the past decade) now north of the IH-820 Loop has its normal miles-long backup as well.

The wreck meant the delay to get south of IH-20 towards Austin was going to cost far more than an hour to get thru the city.

The several alternatives normally used were compromised thereby . . except one.

One needs a radio system whereby he can Hear, and Get Heard. (You have the antenna system or you don’t). For me to reach out, to field questions, and to define alternatives it was necessary to have 2-3 exchanges passing each other in opposite directions at 60-mph in a major US metro.

Each of these was with several drivers.

The cities are noisy. Skip (with Satans boys jamming AM-19 with drivel) is noisy. Traffic has to be watched closely. Etc.

You have ONE chance to get it right.

Those other truck drivers risk life & limb, risk paycheck reductions, risk reputation, career and vehicle integrity when they make the wrong decisions.

I’ve been on the other end: big trucks blown over in Wyoming, tornado blown trees across an Alabama highway, flooding in Arkansas, major multi-vehicle pile-ups in nearly every state (drivers getting worse for years now), . . .

. . right down to just barely hearing a man in a broken truck whose telephone had gone dead and with health problems in 100F heat back off the highway, unseen, the past night into morning. Unheard.

My experience to recommend you upgrade the pickup with a proper damned antenna

The little Uniden is one I own. It’s a good starter radio. Get the rest right before worrying again about what components you plug into those systems.

SWR is a test to be sure that things aren’t so bad one can key up without frying the radio. The step of tuning antenna to its mount & location.

You can bandaid what you have . . or man up and have the real thing. (You’d have been of no help yesterday even with what you have “improved” by a few bonds . . but my system in your truck and antenna above would have you better than what I can achieve in a big truck).

— Read, study, make a list and get the tools & supply to make your pickup worthy of being called a work vehicle.

Good luck.

Last edited:

prcguy

This is my first post on this site, so I apologize if this isn’t being posted in the correct place. I’m fairly new into running CB units, the last one I had was back in highschool. I have a uniform bearcat 880, with a fiberglass whip. The problem I’m running into, is that I have sky high swrs on almost every channel, regardless of what I do. I know location and ground are two of the biggest factors, but driving a superduty I’m limited on spots. I have the antenna mounted on to the side of my back rack, and I ran a wire to the chassis for added ground but no change. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Need more detailed info or pictures to diagnose.

slowmover

Several versions for SuperDuty (F250 & 350). Mount likely clamped to arm.

Now, don’t go sayin’, “hell, it’s a Ford”, @prcguy, he’s bein’ polite.

IMG_3056.jpeg

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
This is my first post on this site, so I apologize if this isn’t being posted in the correct place. I’m fairly new into running CB units, the last one I had was back in highschool. I have a uniform bearcat 880, with a fiberglass whip. The problem I’m running into, is that I have sky high swrs on almost every channel, regardless of what I do.
First thing I'd do is unscrew the whip from the mount, and the PL-259 from the back of the radio. Then the continuity of the cable from end-to-end and check if it's shorted to ground on the center conductor. The shield should show ground.

Second, if you have access to a Nano VNA or antenna analyzer, reconnect the antenna's and check to see what frequency the antenna's lowest SWR is at.

These two diagnostics will tell you if the problem is cable related or a bad or mis-tuned antenna.

prcguy

Several versions for SuperDuty (F250 & 350). Mount likely clamped to arm.

Now, don’t go sayin’, “hell, it’s a Ford”, @prcguy, he’s bein’ polite.

View attachment 139599
Well, at least the back rack is steel and not made from recycled beer cans like something I won't mention.

Still need more info and preferably with pictures to diagnose.

Mikeno11

Alright, so I removed the mount, sanded it down some more, reattached everything, and added a thicker ground cable. Calibrated channel 40 and I’m sitting at 1.00 even. Channel 1 is around 2.00/ 2.5. Any way to get that number down any lower? Or am I stuck with what I’ve got. I’m also not using a meter, I’m basing all this off the meter on the radio itself, which I know isn’t super accurate but I know it’s ballpark

Mikeno11

I’ll grab a few pics after I get off work to show you what I’m working with. Bear in mind this just set up on my personal pickup, it’s nothing crazy, and I’m trying to run this on a budget. With everything going on the world, I figured it was a good time to put one back in the truck in case I lose cell service

Mikeno11

Pics of the setup. I believe it’s a 4 or 5 foot whip with an extension, and an extra cable grounded to chassis

Attachments

• IMG_2190.jpeg
    IMG_2190.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2192.jpeg
    IMG_2192.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Alright, so I removed the mount, sanded it down some more, reattached everything, and added a thicker ground cable. Calibrated channel 40 and I’m sitting at 1.00 even. Channel 1 is around 2.00/ 2.5. Any way to get that number down any lower?
See if you can get the SWR down low at Channel 16, then measure and 1 and 40. Many times that will give a good result across the band,.

Mikeno11

See if you can get the SWR down low at Channel 16, then measure and 1 and 40. Many times that will give a good result across the band,.
I just did that, sitting at 1.5 on the lower ends, and a steady 1.00 across the board on the higher end, that seemed to help a bit!

Mikeno11

That would indicate you're very close and the whip is a little too short.
I figured that whip was on the longer end, what would you recommend? The one I have right now is essentially a no name fiberglass whip, I believe it’s 4 or 5 feet, not counting the spring underneath

Last edited:

slowmover

5’ antenna minimum. 7’ is better. (14’ clearance works most everywhere).

Location is key. IMO, TX even more biased to center mount than shown. Mount clamped to both sides of sheetmetal.

If you really want to hear & get heard.

IMG_1172.jpeg

IMG_2148.jpeg

What I used for years on my 1T for road trips. (Quarter-wave on tri-mag). 15’ clearance. 9’ optimal antenna at the optimal location.

IMG_2345.jpeg
What I finally got around to installing.
(7’ PRESIDENT base load). 13’ clearance. (Forgive me the paint on my 20-year old Texas pickup).

Quieter, more sensitive due to mount (oversized for this antenna; have others to use besides. Parked, or while moving).

A key insight about CB: one must put together a radio rig (installation) to overcome the deficiencies of almost all other mobile rigs.

Another shot of the SIRIO from earlier pic.

IMG_2301.jpeg

The pickup owners hang up is, “I don’t want to cut a hole”, (it won’t leak); and, “It’ll hurt trade-in”, (no, it won’t).

A first class radio system is a true upgrade. Lift kits, off-road tires etc, degrade performance & value.

A genuine “talking radio” gets responses. (“That radio talks”). Weak or fading signal gets ignored. Try to answer him and he’ll be gone before he can respond again.

Big trucks are pretty bad these days. The guys with pickups or vans with great installs do more with less than what’s needed for a typical fleet truck: antenna & mount is 80-90% of success.

Most try an amp to crutch a bad install. While they’re worthwhile to a degree, they won’t and don’t do what the owners think they’ll do.

Again, antenna design plus mount type & location is the decision which really matters.

A first class pickup system will have cost less than half of what I have into the big truck system and have better performance. As I can’t replicate that center-of-metal-mass advantage with that vehicle.

Last edited: